Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2002 7:38:01 PM EDT
Although I must have seen it 50 times, I still cry everytime I watch that damn movie.

Those men are heroes...all of them...

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
[USA]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My eyes well up when I watch Black Hawk Down... mostly during Shughart and Gordons heroic last stand [:(]

Is that movie on the "guys can cry" list or am I a pussy? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bull! Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Trivia question:

Spielburg, in an effort to prepare his cast for their roles, insisted that they undergo a grueling 10-day boot camp.  All but [b]four[/b] of the cast quit the PT at some point.

Who were the [b]four[/b] strong ones?

SORRY, there were four!
Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys gotta watch "We Were Soldiers".  I watched it last night and it's gotta go on the "guys can cry" list.  Man, it's powerful.  Made me feel even worse and angrier than I was when I started thinking about that coward in MD running around with a rifle.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]

"Earn this."

-T.

[USA]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
ah! sh*t Toaster...why did you have to say that...pass the damn tissues...
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
10 day boot camp? Tom Hanks was the one that kept a lot of the others going.

When I opened this thread, I thought it was about another movie we got aboard the boat, an X rated one named 'Shaving Ryan's Privates'.

I'm 1/2 asleep with channel fever, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd say Hanks, Diesel, and Damon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Ahh.....hell! I started cryin at the very beginning when,as an old man,he started running like a child towards his fallen brothers grave markers.

I'm telling you guys,I must have been white as a ghost when I came outta that movie.I was seriously moved,like never before.That movie tears my guts out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Rudy, hes so little, but he tried so big.  Points to anyone who knows what show thats from.  

I'm with soylent green on this, where the red fern grows.  Can we make an official guys can cry movie list?.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ah! sh*t Toaster...why did you have to say that...pass the damn tissues...
View Quote

***Passes a few tissues***

The line that totally tore me up was near the end of the movie.

"Tell me I've been a good man"...   That sequence just kills me...

-T.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Damon was exempt from boot camp, and Spielberg doted all over him to make the rest of the cast resent him. He thought it'd show in the movie. It worked, as you can see
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damon was exempt from boot camp, and Spielberg doted all over him to make the rest of the cast resent him. He thought it'd show in the movie. It worked, as you can see
View Quote

hahahahaha.. thats great!  It definately worked!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I think part of it is that I can see that man in my grandfather,and relate on a human level with the guys in the film in that way.

I mean...... many of the men that are our grandfathers are so kind and gentle.So strong and knowledgable and giving of their knowledge.......that it sorta hurts to see what these warm,lovable guys had to go threw.To see the pain and fear and vulnerability they endured.

Then to see them live their lives as the kinda people I really look up to and aspire to be.......its an emotional thing.

Those guys are walking around amoung us.They're the real deal.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
One that gets to me is "Walking Tall", I think it's the 2nd one. The scene where Buford's son is walking down the hall in the hospital carrying his rifle & a box of ammo, to protect his dad after he & Mrs. Pusser (who was killed) had been shot during the car chase scene.
Talk about a tear jerker.[>(]  

ColtShorty

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Old Yeller - OK to cry for that one too.

I ususally get a huge lump in my throat at the end of Gettysburg.  The part where General Armistead has been hit, he's lying propped up against the arty piece and the yankee officer tells him his friend has been hit.

Armistead's voice is pure anguish when he cries out "Oh God not both of us, not all of us! Please God!"

Knowing the backstory behind that comment really helped to appreciate that scene.  They go into their friendship some in the movie, but read "The Killer Angels" by Michael Sharra to get the full treatment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#22]
"We were Soldiers."  I have never had a good cry like that one.  When they showed the wall, I just couldn't stand it.

marm0t
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Walking Tall???  LMAO!!!

Is that the one where he's wielding his baseball bat in the tavern while sporting a full head cast?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#24]
It's tuff to watch by it's self but try it with your Grandad who was there.

Funny thing, he did not cry but we found him the next morning on the sofa in his old uniform and a book of photos in his hand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#25]
... "What I mean, sir, is if you was to put me with this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile from Adolf Hitler... with a clean line of sight... well, pack your bags, boys. War's over."
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bull! Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller.
View Quote

absolutely 100% agreed.  try to read 'sounder' and stay dry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]
i didnt read all the post because its late and im drunk from the bar but you may also cry watching we were soldiers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trivia question:

Spielburg, in an effort to prepare his cast for their roles, insisted that they undergo a grueling 10-day boot camp.  All but three of the cast quit the PT at some point.

Who were the three strong ones?
View Quote

I didn't know that-how about:

Burns, Diesel and Pepper
View Quote

Again, SORRY, there were FOUR who didn't quit.
You've got three of them.

[I edited the original question.  I'm such an absent minded man. . . ]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#31]
From watching my "The making of SPR",HANKS was the ONLY one to stick it out and not quit.The rest had to be showed that they were acting like pussies before they signed back up.

"We're not here to do the right thing! We're here to follow fuckin'orders!"
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#32]
yeah, even the guys at work said it was ok to cry when you watch "old yeller". well, travis said it, and the other guys agreed. cause we were in the lunchroom and they were all there.

these are big tough mechanics i'm talking about, so it's ok to cry, you just have to do it at the right time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#33]
The only bad thing is that Barry Pepper somehow gets off like 8 shots out of his 1903 right before the tank blows up the bell tower.  Interesting for a 5-round magazine, but still, great movie.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I just saw "We Were Soldiers" this week too.  I was moved and surprised at how well that movie was done.  I don't think it got the credit it deserved.  The Wall scene at the end was very emotional.  If you haven't seen it, you really should.

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Two tearjerkers.
1. The Green Mile when they executed the innocent giant.

2. Places In The Heart when those hillbilly hooded trash beat up Danny Glover. Also, the church scene at the end was intense....
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll let you in on a little secret . . . it's the [b]ONLY[/b] movie a man can watch and it's okay to cry.  Pass it on . . .

. . . and you can [b]still[/b] make fun of your wife for crying over stupid chick flicks and coffee commercials.  [}:D]
View Quote

Well said...

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I absolutely lose it when George C. Marshall reads President Lincoln's letter from memory...

What a way with words....
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#38]
For all of the reasons above, Saving Private Ryan will always be one of my favorite movies.  I have always said that the first 30 minutes of that movie was the scariest thing I've ever seen.  I can't imagine the terror and fear those boys felt landing on the beaches.

It solidified my solemn respect for the men who fought, and died, in the struggle against facism.  Who fought and died for their country and sacrificed so much on the altar of freedom.  It reminds me of the men who fought and died before them, to secure our freedom, and create this great nation.

Saving Private Ryan is one of the best productions ever.  Band Of Brothers, IMHO, is it's equal.  It shows much more of the varied aspects of war that our soldiers faced in the final parts of the war.  

May God bless our veterans, and those that died to protect our freedoms.  

(I get teary eyed thinking about it, but it's a proud sorrow.  I am a man, and I am not afraid to shed a tear in respect for those men portrayed in these films)

M@
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
"Earn this..."

...and the scene when Wade dies, just tears me up every time I watch those scenes. I remember it was shortly after my divorce when I first saw the movie in the theatre... I cried like the biggest baby...

Eric
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, Saving Private Ryan, I will admit at the end, I get a lump in my throat and my vision get a little watery, same with Braveheart...

It is just knowing what they went through

But Blackhawk Down, it does not make me teary, though sometimes it makes a lump in my throat, mainly, it makes me very very angry. Makes me want to see that town burning. Especially when I hear about what they did to the bodies... the one who was delivered to the consolate in a garbage bag......  seeing it all over the news....

hmmm, I might need anger management
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#42]
[b]"Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of 5 sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine that would attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot reframe from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our heavenly father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost and the solonm pride that must be yours to have laid down so costly a sacrifice upon the alter of freedom."

Yours very sincerely and respectfully,

Abraham Lincoln "[/b]

When i heard Marshall read that letter from memory, I found it so profound and moving that I decided, then and there, that I would not only reenlist, but that I would remain in the service until retirement....
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#43]
My girl friend always thinks I'm a goof ball, when I wipe a tear out of the corner of my eye, when I watch the beginning of the Pickett's Charge scene in the move Gettysburg, I've also been known to sit there and mouth the words "don't do it, fer gods sakes call it off"
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#44]
My father in law was in the 119th infantry regiment 30th division in WW2. He said he has never seen a movie that depicted combat in the way he experienced it but did say it was not bad. I think thats means it was good.

He served in the Bulge, Roer, Rhine and Elbe Campaigns. He crossed the Elbe in April of 45'and was captured in that operation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Windtalkers.

Short clip. Opening battle.

A G.I. deliberately DIVES onto a coiled barbed-wire fence so that other fighting men can run and jump off his back like a springboard in order to breach the barrier.

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Awww.... let's have a group hug.

View Quote

What's YOUR fucking problem?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awww.... let's have a group hug.

View Quote

What's YOUR fucking problem?
View Quote

Wow, what a reaction.  Did I catch you crying?
View Quote

No.
But now I know what your fucking problem is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Let's just say that I saw SPR eight (8) times in theatres with Stadium seating and extra large screens.

It was an excellent movie in all respects, not the least of which was portraying combat as closely as its ever likely to be portrayed in a non-documnetary movie.

When a German MG-42 opens up, or a MP-38 is fired, it is an actual MG-42 or MP-38 that you hear. Such attention to detail paid off in spades in making this the movie that it is.

Still my favorite, 'The Longest Day', but only by the dint of John Wayne as Lt. Col. Vandervoort of 82nd Airborne.

Remember the scene where he slowly looks around the St Mere Eglise commons with all the dead paratroopers hanging in the trees and from the buildings.

The look on his face is like that of a father seeing his dead children for the first time. It rivals anything in SPR!

'Well, what are you looking at? Get 'em down!'

Eric The(AndThatWasShotIn1962!)Hun[>]:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top