BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2002 3:42:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
OR... they know something we don't and would rather their assets don't get frozen post incident.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a 'page unavailable'.

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It's the headline story on the home page.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it, thanks.

I would imagine this last years economy might have helped in their decisions.  

Besides, it's not like we're going to stop sending them military supplies just because they hate us and have promised to support Saddam if/when we invade.

buh bye.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought we were going to freeze the assets of ALL the terrorist organizations and we had a "with us or against us" stance.  If those sh!t for brains are not "with us" then we should consider them as aiding the terrorist.  Just keep their money and spend it on a few nice shiney new Daisey Cutters and give them a farewell present![;)]

Fvck them!![50]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What the hell do you expect?

Various lawyers and other types are suing them for multi-hundreds of [b]B[/b]illions of dollars.

They'd have to be morons to keep their cash around.
View Quote

What she said. Makes perfect financial sense to me. Surprised it took them this long!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]

One Biiiiiilion dollars![img]http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Club/3561/evil-globe1.jpg[/img]

Sould like Dr.Evil take his place in the axis og Evil.(after they name it after him[:D])
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
"I summon my blue-eyed slaves anytime it pleases me. I command the Americans to send me their bravest soldiers to die for me. Anytime I clap my hands a stupid genie called the American ambassador appears to do my bidding. When the Americans die in my service their bodies are frozen in metal boxes by the US Embassy and American airplanes carry them away, as if they never existed. Truly, America is my favorite slave."
King Fahd Bin Abdul-Aziz, Jeddeh 1993
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Can someone post the story?  It isn't showing up at all for me.

I'm wondering why there wasn't a preliminary injunction filed to freeze the money for the suit?  This is wierd, I'm guessing that if it is royal saud money, that they know about an eminent attack.

Can they claim diplomatic immunity for their money?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
This threads gonna get locked [rolleyes]

never mind, the offending post just got deleted [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
good God man, that is unnecessary

i'm refraining from uses the now ever so trendy acronyym, but man it is tempting on this one

edit-- it appears to have dissapeared

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Saudis withdraw billions of dollars from US
                              By Roula Khalaf in London
                              Published: August 20 2002 21:49 | Last Updated: August 20 2002 21:49

Disgruntled Saudis have pulled tens of billions of dollars
                                                        out of the US, signalling a deep alienation from America.

One analyst said the total funds withdrawn by individual
                                                        investors amount to $200bn. Other bankers put the figure
                                                        nearer to $100bn.

The US-Saudi alliance was put under severe strain after
                                                        September 11, when 15 of the aeroplanes' 19 hijackers
                              were Saudi nationals.

Accusations that Saudi Arabia's austere brand of Islam breeds terrorism and its
                              charities finance Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network have been perceived in
                              the kingdom as attacks on Saudi society and its religion.

An analyst from the Rand Corporation said at a Pentagon briefing this month that
                              Saudi Arabia was the "kernel of evil", exacerbating concerns among the country's
                              elite that they have become demonised in the US and their money is no longer
                              safe there.

As part of the fight against terrorism, the US and Saudi authorities have been
                              monitoring the accounts of dozens of Saudi companies and individuals, a move
                              that alarmed Saudi merchants. Youssef Ibrahim, a senior fellow at the Council on
                              Foreign Relations working on a project re-examining US-Saudi relations, said
                              Saudis had withdrawn at least $200bn from the US in recent months. He said the
                              move has been drive n by hawkish US commentators' calls for the freezing of
                              Saudi assets.

The trend, he added, can be expected to accelerate with last week's trillion-dollar
                              lawsuit by relative of the victims of September 11. The lawsuit accuses several
                              Saudi institutions and charities and three members of the royal family, including
                              the defence minister, of financing terrorism.

Details of Saudi investments in the US are sketchy but financial analysts believe
                              they range between $400bn and $600bn. The funds are invested in private equity,
                              the stock and bond markets and real estate. The figures include investments by
                              members of the royal family.

Investors are not thought to be closing down their US accounts. Instead they are
                              moving money into European accounts. Bankers in London said the largest
                              established Saudi investors did not yet seem to be following the trend.

One said: "I'm sceptical about a mass exodus. But there was a lot of Saudi
                              money with American banks that was not diversified, now they [the Saudis] are
                              spreading their wings. Perhaps 30 per cent to 50 per cent of the money that was
                              with US banks is seeking diversification."

The Saudi money shifts may have contributed to the recent downward pressure
                              on the dollar.

"People no longer have any confidence in the US economy or in US foreign
                              policy," said Bishr Bakheet, a financial consultant in Riyadh.

"And if the latest lawsuit is not thrown out in court, it will mean no more Saudi
                              money in the US."

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
[red][size=6][b]One Bazillion Dollars ! [/b][/red][/size=6]

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=redray&album_id=86221&image_id=16¶m=29244[/img]

edited to add: i hotlinked the original picture and the bastards replaced it with that offending picture. sorry. fixed it now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I know that this is just wishful thinking but I hope that in my lifetime, God willing,  we could either convert to a agricultural base fuel or hydrogen cell technology would come of age or something else that hasn't been discovered yet, would come alone and eliminate our need for those people.  I would love to see them eat their oil!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Speculation. These "businessmen" seek to resolve dollars to other more stable financial media prior to an as yet undefined economic catastrophe.

lets see.... MREs? check. Water Purification? Check. Emergency meds? Check. Cash? Check. Ammo? Check. Extra Fuel? Bible? Check......

Hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe the government's crack down on their various money laundering organizations has made it harder for them to get Osama cash.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
They must have rented the 1981 movie "Rollover" with Jane Fonda and decided that was a good plan to collapse our financial system.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad they are getting out when the market is low. The West still runs the world's financial system so naturally they are shifting their cash to Europe. If we all put an embargo on taking Saudi assets they would learn a lesson. Won't happen but it's a nice dream (and would be rightful payback for the decade of inflation they damaged us with their oil embargo).
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They must have rented the 1981 movie "Rollover" with Jane Fonda and decided that was a good plan to collapse our financial system.
View Quote

...yeah, or the NEW MOVIE we're gonna write called "LET'S ROLL!!! ...and take their Money, too!"

I see a glass desert in the future.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
"playing both sides against the middle."

this is what the house of saud is all about.

shit. i say we make a deal with saddam hussein, tell him to take the arabian peninsula, cuz we don;t care who we buy oil from... and obviously we don't.

at least saddam isn't a wahabi fundamentalist jerk... he's a secular kinda guy who just wants a lot of rolls royces. and we understand that... not this thing about ladies clothed head to toe.

saudi arabia is a true enemy. blow the mofos sky high.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/736565/posts[/url]
[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38205000/jpg/_38205095_2000-riyal-300.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top