Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2003 7:22:27 PM EDT
I'm currently using verizon DSL, I've use cable internet.   Now, I'm moving to the country with no access to either....Which should I choose for their internet service....I have to choose one.  My job requires the quick access.  The comparison in between DISH and DIRECT TV.

Thanks in advance for the help.  Detailed Opinions are valued!!!!

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
For political reasons, DirectTV. Rupert Murdoch's company.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

explain?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]

i had directv for 7 years and i finally had enough. they have the absolute worst customer service of any company i deal with over the phone.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Dish...Lightyears ahead of DirectTV.  Get the PVR box (Like TIVO).
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Since they are trying to merge, this question will be moot in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Anyone using the INTERNET via these systems?????

Help needed!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use DirecWay 2-way satellite, after having switched from the dial-return satellite system. I'm also out in the universe with no broadband and switched a few years back when AT&T raised the the line charges for my leased line FRAD by over $1000/month

Downloads work great; I've seen speeds over 2 megabit. In general I get about 1 Mbit dloads. Uploads suck, rarely above 40 kbps. peaks at 80 kbps.

I recently switched to a basic business account from the consumer account, which raises the amount of data I can download in bulk.

There is a lot of information on the service available from the Direc PC Uncensored Website at [url]http://www.copperhead.cc/[/url]

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them or email me directly.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know about Dish.

Direct PC sucks.  Worse than dial-up IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

explain?
View Quote

Ever wonder where the hell Fox News came from?  Why this one news company decided to present a right-wing point of view in the face of a uniform political point of view of most major newspapers, broadcast tv, and cable news?

It really was one man, Rupert Murdoch.  A guy who really understands all aspects of media.  Cable, papers, movies, broadcast tv, internet.  Now Murdoch's now busting into American satellite tv, through Direct Tv.  During his hearings on Capitol Hill, the liberals were getting hysterical about how threatening having such a coordinated media empire is to them.  Maxine Waters said that Murdoch [url=http://reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=governmentFilingsNews&storyID=2707591]"Scares the hell out of me"[/url]

I would consider giving such a man my business first.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
First:

Satellite Internet is NOT a broadband system.

Specifically, it is incapable of providing a low enough latency for real-time operations... So if you want to just dump data, go ahead (with nasty bandwidth use restrictions, of course).

HOWEVER, if you expect to chat, video-conference, or do ANYTHING requiring a real-time connection FORGET IT. Dial-up will actually work better for this. And don't even THINK about trying to run servers over satellite.

The store I work at relied on satellite internet (and not through a consumer dish provider, but through a DEDICATED SATELLITE ISP (StarBand)) prior to (finally) making the switch to DSL. It was absolutely horrid: even the (low-rate) SBC/Ameretech DSL that we have now is better. Lost connections, latency that made dial-up seem fast, and VERY sporadic data rates. And unlike our satellite TV feed (which worked great, even in some real nasty snow), this system (esp data rates) was HEAVILY affected by weather.

BTW, Dish Network DOES NOT, and HAS NO PLANS TO offer internet access over the air. Their broadband plans involve a partnership with Earthlink, via which Dish Network users get a discount on DSL. DirecPC is still here, but is a very slow service (compared to DSL or cable), with even worse (56k on the 'modem-upstream' system, and 144k on the '2-way' unit. Since most business uses require heavy uploading (sending) of info, this is bad news) upload speeds..

Second:

Do not go with the TV companies (i.e. DirecTV) for internet service. If you must do satellite, go with a dedicated satellite ISP. It will still suck, but at least you will have a company geared towards internet service (not TV) behind you...

P.S.

What do you need to do with your connection... Knowing this makes it easier to make reccommendations...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
DirecTV internet took a plunge months ago. "DIRECTV Broadband announced closure on December 13, 2002 and immediately began to transition customers to alternate providers. All portions of the DIRECTV Broadband network were disconnected as of February 28, 2003."
[url]http://www.directvdsl.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since they are trying to merge, this question will be moot in the near future.
View Quote

No merger...

Killed by the feds, for antitrust reasons...

So forget they ever tried...

Also, [b]General Motors[/b] owns DirecTV, not NewsCorp (Murtoch's company).

NewsCorp is investigating PURCHASING Dish Network (Echostar) or DirecTV (don't remember which, but one of them) after the merger failed...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First:

Satellite Internet is NOT a broadband system.

Specifically, it is incapable of providing a low enough latency for real-time operations... So if you want to just dump data, go ahead (with nasty bandwidth use restrictions, of course).

HOWEVER, if you expect to chat, video-conference, or do ANYTHING requiring a real-time connection FORGET IT. Dial-up will actually work better for this. And don't even THINK about trying to run servers over satellite.

The store I work at relied on satellite internet (and not through a consumer dish provider, but through a DEDICATED SATELLITE ISP (StarBand)) prior to (finally) making the switch to DSL. It was absolutely horrid: even the (low-rate) SBC/Ameretech DSL that we have now is better. Lost connections, latency that made dial-up seem fast, and VERY sporadic data rates. And unlike our satellite TV feed (which worked great, even in some real nasty snow), this system (esp data rates) was HEAVILY affected by weather.

BTW, Dish Network DOES NOT, and HAS NO PLANS TO offer internet access over the air. Their broadband plans involve a partnership with Earthlink, via which Dish Network users get a discount on DSL. DirecPC is still here, but is a very slow service (compared to DSL or cable), with even worse (56k on the 'modem-upstream' system, and 144k on the '2-way' unit. Since most business uses require heavy uploading (sending) of info, this is bad news) upload speeds..

Second:

Do not go with the TV companies (i.e. DirecTV) for internet service. If you must do satellite, go with a dedicated satellite ISP. It will still suck, but at least you will have a company geared towards internet service (not TV) behind you...

P.S.

What do you need to do with your connection... Knowing this makes it easier to make reccommendations...
View Quote

I'm a university faculty member.  Asycronous web-courses and lots of time on the internet.  Mainly information download and some upload.

Thanks for the input...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't know about Dish.

Direct PC sucks.  Worse than dial-up IMHO.
View Quote

take it from me (i used to work for the idiots!) DirecPC sucks major fecal matter. when i worked the tech lines the idiots at the NOC(Network Operations Center, system control) could NOT keep their fingers out of the system. practically every day the system would have some problem. one they put a fix in place... well guess what? it broke it. no one could get mail in or out of the Direcpc.com domain. they could send to other DPC users but not anyone else. no one from the outside could mail a DPC user. oh... and they guy that designed that little "fix" was out on vacation for a week. and the idiots at the noc decided to implement it while he was out. and then! they could not figure out how to undo what they did. so for the next 4 days no mail when anywhere.BRILLANT MOVE IDIOTS!

another time they were tweaking the firewall (i smell trouble....) and i decided to go check the gateway page and see how the system was doing... 0 packets of data where moving, my first thought... what did the morons do NOW!? so i call my boss over and tell him the NOC screwed the system up again, so he called the NOC and found out the morons had borked the firewall... and were trying to fix it. meanwhile our phone system que light went from off(no calls in que) to burning fires of hell red (50 in que) inside of 2 minutes. and this was back before we were forced to LIE to the customer. back then we could tell them the system was having a problem. and it would be fixed as soon as possible. well.. later the system always ran fine, no trouble. it was the customers PC that was broken. and it needed to get serviced by a competent tech...

i knew very well the direc system was screwed up again(couldnt they leave well enough alone for once!!) yet i had to tell them to get their PC serviced.

STAY AWAY FROM DIREC! FAR FAR FAR AWAY! go near them and i will come use your dish as target practice (no not really but i hope this gets my feelings across on this matter)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks All!

I really appreciate the straight forward comments.  Consider the thread dead...I'll contact individuals directly if the need arises.  Final Verdict (btw the two): DISH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top