Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2003 11:18:49 AM EDT
Reading an account on another thread reminded me of a story involving my wife.

She dated a fellow during the early 80s who was extremely religious.  He convinced her that rock music was Satan's tool, and that many rock songs carried subliminal Satanic messages if played backward on our old LP turntables.

I know of a few songs where playing a song backwards does have an intentional message (Fire on High by ELO comes to mind), but haven't been able to come across very many.  

[b]Old guys:  dust off your Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath and show my wife's old boyfriend that he is right.  [/b][}:D]  

What other songs are there that have "messages" if played backwards?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Backward masking!!! The HORROR OF IT!!!

When I was a kid, my mom made me attend some religious seminar with her to hear some whacko preach. He played all these records backwards to teach parents how evil rock music really was. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. So after promptly discounting the guy and all his yaptrap, it became quite the novelty to play all our records backwards to hear the evil messages.

The one's I can specifically remember are:

Queen - Another One Bites the Dust, which says "Supposed to smoke marijuana" if you play it backwards. It's pretty uncanny how clear it sounds. That was the fave.

I also remember Eagles - Hotel California but can't remember specifically where in the song or what it says.

Zep - Stairway to Heaven, around the part where the lyric says, "There two roads you can travel, but in the long run..." it says some stuff, but it's very distorted.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Zepplin didnt sing Hotel California, the Eagles did.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand why it makes any difference if there are messages backwards.  I usually listen to my records forwards.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Zepplin didnt sing Hotel California, the Eagles did.
View Quote

See what sitting in a server room all day does to you?

Derr..... thanks. I fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done that on Stairway to Heaven.  You can plainy hear Robert Plant saying "Gooooo to church" and "Sayyyy youurrrr prayers"
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Time to get out the vinyl.. heheheh  

Will this work with my Johnny Cash record?[;D][;D][;D][;D][;D]

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Paul is dead.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally, for me I got rid of my music late 70's because I could see the downward spiral I was in, & wanted to clean myself up. Bad co corrupts good morals. They lyrics were not all satanic, but they were also not uplifting. One of my favorite groups was Bad Company. Talk about ironic. I also got rid of John Denver, & the Beachboys. I know how benign could you get. I just felt it was a progressive thing for me. I started off listening to John Denver like the older kids at church, & ended up smoking dope, dropping cid, etc., at Black Sabbath, & blue Oyster Cult. I don't blame the music. I was the one who made the choices, but if someone is on a diet it's best not to keep junk food in the cupboards to tempt them. It was a purely personal choice I made, & I wasn't trying to get others to do anything they might regret later. A letter in the paper to the editor compared us to Hitler's burning books, which I think is really an unfair comparison. These were our property. It's like the chicks saying those people are destroying our art.[>(]. It was our to do with as we please. The guys that preached to us about backward masking were the Peters Brothers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Black Sabbath
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Killing Yourself to Live
2:52 into the song a voice says " smoke hash"
2:57 into the song a voice says "get high"
You don't have to play it backwards or anything, but you have to listen closely. More like a subliminal message. Probably find more on there if yah listened.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]
except for a few cases where it was done to get results..it's BS

IF you were to listen to said songs, and noone told you what to listen for..you would not hear it.

People looking for demons under their bed will find them if they look hard enough.

These days, you might want to listen to the lyrics the normal way, because there are many bands who are VERY anti-(insert faith here).

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remember, your turntable needs to have disgronificator circuitry or it won't work....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Osprey got it...The Beatles did one on purpose with a message saying Paul McCartney was dead.

I remember the others mentioned as well...I have an old series done by the Peters brothers on that very subject....somewhere.

There were references to Flotsam and Jetsom, Black Sabbath, Ozzie, AC/DC...and other "devil" bands.

I'll look for the series.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Ooops.  Wifey just found out that I was ridiculing the memory of her beloved "David".

Anyway, she said that the [b] absolute worst[/b] was Led Zepplin's [i]Stairway to Heaven[/i].  According to her memory of St. David, you can clearly hear Robert Plant say "my sweet Satan" if you play [i]Stairway[/i] backwards.

With credit to Berke Breathed's [i]Bloom County[/i], all that I hear is

"Devilbunnies! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana, banana!"

[ROFL2]

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
At the end of "Darling Nikki" by Prince, he talks about Jesus second coming.  If you listen to Purple Haze by J.H. with the speakers far enough apart or with one ear of headphones on it sounds like they're saying "Satan's song", actually I think they're saying "sing the song".

Prince backwards.

Hendrix forwards, album, cassette, CD, doesn't matter.

TS
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The only message I ever heard when playing my records backwards was:
" DUDE...STOP IT...YOU'RE RUINING THE ALBUM..."
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I've found satanic messages in only a couple of albums that were popular.  One was backwards and slowed way down and talked about satan and "...the fire that burns with no wood..".

I also found a heavey metal Christian band, Barron Cross I think, that said "trust in the Lord" three times in a song.

Its fun to find that stuff but I doubt it impacts anyones subconscious.

Shok
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just remember, your turntable needs to have disgronificator circuitry or it won't work....
View Quote

I copy songs on to four-track recorders than play it backwards and at different speeds.  This works for most reel to reels too.

Shok
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
On The Beatles' Revolution Nine you can clearly hear John Lennon saying "Cranberry sauce?" if you play it backwards.

It doesn't get much more Satanic than that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#19]
[play backawards] Numer 9, Number 9 [/play backwards]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
So has it been proven that by playing an LP forward, your brain not only "hears" the "baskward masked" phrase, but also has a process in which it turns the phrase around and then recognizes it?

Now it seems to me that even if that can happen, you brain would be examining every word and that it hears going forward (not that easy in itself with many songs and artists), and translating it to the equivalent reverse word.  

It wouldn't be able to work in phrases, because the phrase  structure probably would not be the same.  Out of seven words, the 2nd through 5th might be a phrase going forward, but going backward, the "phrase" could just as easily be the 8th back to the 3rd.

So think about how many words there are in the entire song of the cited examples.  Then imagine your brain trying to deal with dozens, probably hundreds of backwards, sorta garbled  words, trying to match the 3 or 4 not-so-clear words that make a phrase.

I think the brain would get so saturated with nonsense that it would really have a hard time finding the isolated 'phrase'.

This is much like the "reverse speech" crapola the was on Art Bell a few years ago.

Have you noticed that the reverse phrase is never something like,

"Drink Coke"

"RCIA is your friend"

Or even, "WAR IS PEACE...FREEDOM IS SLAVERY... IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

I'm not saying it's impossible, just pretty unlikely.   And that if you listen to hundreds of songs backwards, you will eventually be able to find something that you can  claim is a phrase.

Of course, all this is part of the PLAN.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Rob Zombie sings about Satan in his normal lyrics. He doesn't even try to hide it.

[devil]

Did I mention that he was one of my favorite metal artists?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#22]
The name of the instrumental is:  "Empty Space"..  It says, "Congratulations, you have discovered the secret message.  Send ? to ? Pink ?."  If you play it backward.  It's the wierd warping sounds you hear if you play it forward.  

The background singers in "Waiting for the Worms" don't speak the same words, not to mention the unintelligble yelling through a megaphone.  

This is of course, all from "Pink Floyd the Wall."

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Ozzy Osbourne song suicide solution, supposedly says "get the gun, get the gun, shoot, shoot, shoot. Not played in reverse mind you, this is normal forward play.

Caused a big stink back in the 80's, some slapnuts thought they heard this message and though it was a great idea to try. Turns out this "message" was a reverb effect or somthing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#24]
[url]http://www.bghadami.btinternet.co.uk/backmask.htm[/url]

This has clips of a lot of the mentioned songs.  

To all the people who say that you just hear what you are told hear, take a look at what Pink Floyd put at the end of "Good Bye Blue Sky"

"Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to old pink, care of the funny farm."
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
this hole idea is bogus, it's been proven that even a normal conversation will contain numerous backwards messages.
you can hear anything out of jibberish if you want to  
but a really cool website is the one for paul is dead,they make a case for this from every album cover and just about 1/3 of all beatles songs. if you have the extra time it's worth the visit
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
speaking of zeppelin
if anybody has zeppelin 4 (symbols) album
if you open the album up,the picture of the man holding the lantern on the mtn. and put it up against a mirror (the side of album needs to be touching the mirror)
the face of satan can be seen. (the man is the horns and the rocks make up satan face.
it does work!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Insane Clown Posse does backwards talking on thier albums fairly often. The most notable being at the end of a song, Everybody Rise. Off thier album The Amazing Jeckel Brothers. At the end of the song Violent J says normally "Hey Sharon".

Then using my computers sound recorder, and reversing the backwards talking. I got this message:

Yeah, if you play this message backwards. because you think theres some secret message, THERE AINT SHIT!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#29]
i listen to a lot of death, black, and heavy metal/hardcore music.  the only one i know of is Slayer's 'hell await's' and all it says is 'join us'.  pretty vague.  big deal.  i used to be scared of these bands when i was younger and in a catholic school..but the more i got into them the more i realized there's nothing to be scared of.  some of the lyrics might make you think and question certain things and that is what the church is worried about.  their scared of losing control of your mind.  

i have no problem with religous people even though i'm not one of them.  i have no desire to follow something (organized religion) that's led by a man.  man is flawed.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#31]
There are many songs that do not contain intentional backwards messages spliced into the audio, but *do* contain messages that can be heard while played in reverse.  This is possible by singing the real lyrics in an exact way that makes the reversed audio sound like actual words.  One such message I remember was "You're the nasty one, Christ, you're infernal!"  Sounds Satanic to me!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok...here are a few of the songs I personally know of:

*HOTEL CALIFORNIA: Was told it talked about boiling the body of Christ near the end of the song. I could never make it out though.

*STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN...7:53 long and was said to have been written in about 15mins or so...is still the most requested song in the world to my knowledge. That is a lot of ammo for people wanting to say it is "devil music". Not to mention the fact that Jimmy Page owns an occult store in Britain and has possession of the most A.Crowley artifacts known (yup, same Mr.Crowley that Ozzy sang about).

*ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST: "It's fun to smoke marijuana" over and over and over...I personally heard that one myself.

*9...By the BEATLES..."talk to me dead man" over and over. Said to have fueled rumors of Paul actually being dead when the album came out. Heard this one as well.

*Goverment Personel by Bob Dillion...This I discovered by COMPLETE ACCIDENT...I kid you not about any of this. I was listening to a TESLA album where they did their version of the Bob Dillion song. I had one of those auto-reverse tape players and I was at NTC in an assembly area circa '93. I went to push the button to flip the tape but it instead started playing backwards...GOVERNMENT PERSONEL started and a few seconds in to the song it songs EXACTLY like Kermit the Frog saying "THE GOVERNMENT IS THE DEVIL"!! I swear on my life that I found this by mistake and it is plain as day on the tape...I passed around the player and none of the guys could believe how clear it was!

There are more that escape me right now...I'll see what I can dig up.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#33]
You know this was origninally started to get kids to ruin their 45rpm singles and phonograph needles so they would have to buy more of both, dont you?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#34]
LOL!
If that is the case, explain the messages...as I said above, the stuff I heard was plain as day. There was no "reading into" garbled sounds..it was just there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#35]
check this site about the sub-concious and reverse speech:

[url]http://reversespeech.com/revlab.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On The Beatles' Revolution Nine you can clearly hear John Lennon saying "Cranberry sauce?" if you play it backwards.

It doesn't get much more Satanic than that.
View Quote

You sure thats right? I may be incorrect but I think that line is in the end of Strawberry fields forever (according to John). Its not backwards & it says it very slow. He said it says "Cranberry Sauce", it sounds like "I buried Paul", which fits with the other hints they threw out about that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
check this site about the sub-concious and reverse speech:

[url]http://reversespeech.com/revlab.htm[/url]
View Quote

Ha!  I did a report on this site for the pseudoscience portion of my  Research Fundamentals class last year!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#38]
An interesting analysis here:

[url]http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/textfiles/music/backmask.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#39]
There's a message at the very end of one track of the Tenacious D album. Right before it flips to the next track.

Says, "Donkey Balls."

It's pretty obivous it's backwards speech though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Black Sabbath stuff was full of it - to what end I don't know.

tihs taht dnatsrednu t'ndluoc
View Quote

Hey!! Did you instruct my class in cypher school??  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#41]
These messages must work, whether real or imagined.

[b]Quoted:
Ozzy Osbourne song suicide solution, supposedly says "get the gun, get the gun, shoot, shoot, shoot. Not played in reverse mind you, this is normal forward play.

Caused a big stink back in the 80's, some slapnuts thought they heard this message and though it was a great idea to try. Turns out this "message" was a reverb effect or somthing.[/b]

I've listened to that album hundreds of times. I've "gotten the gun, and shot, shot, shot", several times over. Now after all of these years, I finally know why I like firearms and shooting so much. I feel so brainwashed.

Feeling like quite the fool, I just held up Led Zep IV to the mirror. I didn't see shit, but I've never been any good at those optical illusions anyway.

For you Led Zep fans, 1st pressings of LZ III, contain the words "Do what thou wilt" scratched into the run off area between the music and the label.

When I was 15, I was spinning certain sections of Hendrix's Electric Ladyland backwards. I ran across a section that said something like "Good going Chris" That's my name. It kind of freaked me out at first, I think I said something like,"That's so cool, dude." in my best Spicolli voice. I surmised that he was talking to his flute player(Chris Wood), instead of talking to me from beyond the grave.

Sabbath certainly didn't need to try to hide anything on their Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album. The cover is quite descriptive. Some of the songs on Master of Reality almost have a Christian tone to them. Although SweetLeaf is VERY drug oriented.

I think that backmasking or hidden messages are like liner notes. It's a little extra, for those that want to waste their time reading them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's a message at the very end of one track of the Tenacious D album. Right before it flips to the next track.

Says, "Donkey Balls."

It's pretty obivous it's backwards speech though.
View Quote

"sllab yeknod"?? And the general public has ACCESS to this? How could they let children hear such drivel??
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#43]
As I recall, Wierd Al did this on one of his songs. Something to the effect of "The devil chews banana bubblegum" or something.

I cannot remember the song or the phrase, but it was obviously a jab at the whole practice....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Time to get out the vinyl.. heheheh  

Will this work with my Johnny Cash record?[;D][;D][;D][;D][;D]

View Quote

Sure but if you play Johnny Cash backwards, all that happens is you get your truck back, your girl back, your house back, your dog back, your money back and you get out of jail.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I recall listening to Metallica well before they were popular with the general public...Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets...days, and having mothers of other kids telling me that they thought the band was involved in the occult.  I told them no, but if they would like to see bands that were...I could point them in the right direction.  That candor usually casued the subject to drop and they belived me about Metallica.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you play Brittany Spears, 'Oops I Did It Again' backwards, it says, "All your guns are belong to us!"

I shit you not.  
View Quote

Would you like to explain what you're doing with a Brittany Spears CD in the first place? [:I]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#47]
It's not HIS CD.   it's 'his friend's'.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#49]
It is called backmasking.  The best one I have heard is on Venom's "Welcome to Hell" album in a song called "In League with Satan".  When played backwards one can hear...

"Satan! Raised in hell. Raised in hell. I’m gonna burn your soul. Crush your bones. I’m gonna make you bleed. You’re gonna bleed for me"

it can be heard here...
[url]http://web.genie.it/utenti/s/sartico2/In%20League%20reverse.mp3[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top