Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2005 5:40:09 PM EDT
I understand that saps and the like are no longer considered for use by you guys and gals....

However, I have customers who've asked about them, so I'm trying to locate them. I swear I saw them in a catalogue somewhere.

Any place to get a real sap (the slap type)?  I can find sap gloves, but not the slapper type leather filled with lead.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
let me know if you find a good source of lead filled leather sap gloves

Try www.telstarone.com/cs_new_sap.htm

or do a google search on sap gloves for others...

Gloves yes, but no slapper saps or blackjacks
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
When I started the job, sap gloves were pretty common. I've worn out a couple pairs myself. Slappers were around as well but not common.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
funny story:

We got our tasers about 4 years ago now I guess.  The County SO here won't get them because The Sheriff thinks they are too "intrusive" (not poisitive that is the word he used).  He won't even let us bring them into the jail when we book someone in.

But just recently he authorized his deputies to start carrying SAPs again.  how's that for "intrusive"!?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
funny story:

We got our tasers about 4 years ago now I guess.  The County SO here won't get them because The Sheriff thinks they are too "intrusive" (not poisitive that is the word he used).  He won't even let us bring them into the jail when we book someone in.

But just recently he authorized his deputies to start carrying SAPs again.  how's that for "intrusive"!?  

Hilarious. I agree with him.

Back to my original question: Where can I find them?  I have customers, some LEOs that want them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The Shooter's Club in Metairie has had 'em in the past--I'll PM you the number.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
funny story:

Hilarious. I agree with him.

Back to my original question: Where can I find them?  I have customers, some LEOs that want them.

I talked to some other officers... seems the word was not "intrusive"  it was "inhumane"

I would rather be shot with a taser leaving no injuries than blugeoned by a leather sap filled with lead.  The sap is a step in the wrong direction....
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Cheaper than Dirt has "slaps" in 2 sizes in the Police Gear section.I'll try and remeber where I got my sap gloves, one of the mail order uniform companys I think.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Try this Coz:

http://www.copsplus.com/bostonleather.php

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try this Coz:

Awesome.  Great pricing too. I guess they are still used regularly. Thanks

Wonder what the penalty for a civilian carrying one in Texas would be?

Let's see, I'm carrying my concealed handgun and my bug (licensed) , and a legal (blade <5") locking Cold steel folder..I'm ok so far....then they see the Cold Steel Safekeeper II (it's only sharpened on one edge, but it's a fighting knife for all intents and purposes), and so now I add a sap....I'm going to jail I'd guess.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this Coz:

Let's see, I'm carrying my concealed handgun and my bug (licensed) , and a legal (blade <5") locking Cold steel folder..I'm ok so far....then they see the Cold Steel Safekeeper II (it's only sharpened on one edge, but it's a fighting knife for all intents and purposes), and so now I add a sap....I'm going to jail I'd guess.

Saps are illegal except for LE in Texas...I carried a sap when I was LE in Illinois, finished a fight or two with one.  The great thing about a sap is, you always have it with you.  I carried mine in my back pocket, and some officers had "sap pockets" cut just below their pants pocket on their uniform pants.
They'll sure as hell knock you "piss limber."
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this Coz:

Texas Penal Code
§ 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
(b)  Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

§ 46.01.  DEFINITIONS.  In this chapter:                                    
(1)  "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A)  blackjack;                                                              
(B)  nightstick;                                                            
(C)  mace;                                                                  
(D)  tomahawk.
(6)  "Illegal knife" means a:                                                
(A)  knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;                    
(B)  hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;      
(C)  dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;  
(D)  bowie knife;                                                            
(E)  sword;  or                                                              
(F)  spear.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I went to a fight call at a strip club in one of the towns I work a few years ago. The bouncer was standing in the center of the parking lot with 5 grown men scattered around him on the ground writhing in pain or just plain unconscious. He took all of them out with a leather slapper after  they attacked him while he was ejecting their friend. None of them knew what he had used, and it was 5 on 1, so I pretended he never told me about the slapper and arrested the 5 for disorderly conduct. In New York State it is a misdemeanor just to have one, a felony to use it and cause injury, unless you are a police officer. A bad law if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I went to a fight call at a strip club in one of the towns I work a few years ago. The bouncer was standing in the center of the parking lot with 5 grown men scattered around him on the ground writhing in pain or just plain unconscious. He took all of them out with a leather slapper after  they attacked him while he was ejecting their friend. None of them knew what he had used, and it was 5 on 1, so I pretended he never told me about the slapper and arrested the 5 for disorderly conduct. In New York State it is a misdemeanor just to have one, a felony to use it and cause injury, unless you are a police officer. A bad law if you ask me.

I agree.  If properly used it disables without deadly force.  I was screwing around with one and playfully tapped my wrist bone once.....DAMN!  That was serious pain.

I guess I'll just stick to carrying my Extreme Duty and P-11....that should do it....oh and two or three legal knives....of course.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:34:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought my leather SAP gloves here.
http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/hatch-gloves.html
I haven't gotten to use them yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this Coz:

be careful of copsplus.. they have horrible shipping methods. They take forever. It's freaking impossible to actually make contact with them outside of e-mail and theur e-mail is automated.

J
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this Coz:

Texas Penal Code
§ 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
(b)  Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

§ 46.01.  DEFINITIONS.  In this chapter:                                    
(1)  "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A)  blackjack;                                                              
(B)  nightstick;                                                            
(C)  mace;                                                                  
(D)  tomahawk.
(6)  "Illegal knife" means a:                                                
(A)  knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;                    
(B)  hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;      
(C)  dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;  
(D)  bowie knife;                                                            
(E)  sword;  or                                                              
(F)  spear.  

So, is this an illegal knife? The small one has only one sharpened edge.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Just curious, but would the following Leather Bookmark work for the average Joe and avoid any legal entaglements.  Of course, I am an avid reader.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Safe Keeper 2 is illegal while the Safe Keeper 3 is not here in TX. Any double edged knife is considered a dagger in TX. As for the leather bookmark it would depend on the officer who catches you with it if you would go to jail. I'm not sure the DA would prosecute you for it. Then again who knows.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Safe Keeper 2 is illegal while the Safe Keeper 3 is not here in TX. Any double edged knife is considered a dagger in TX. As for the leather bookmark it would depend on the officer who catches you with it if you would go to jail. I'm not sure the DA would prosecute you for it. Then again who knows.

Awesome! I'll resume carrying my Safekeeper III.

I thought since the blade was only sharpened on one side that it did not meet the "dagger" qualification.

Pretty easy to carry also, ths scabbard has a strong belt clip and sliding the scabbard between belt and pants brings it closer to the body, hiding it nicely under an untucked shirt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#21]

So, is this an illegal knife? The small one has only one sharpened edge.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32446

You guys know what the original names of these two daggers are? I bought both of them over 15 yrs ago when I worked housing in NYC. The big one was a Terminator and the little one (which was double edged originally) was a Urban Skinner. I still have mine. A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME will still gut the shit out of you. Damn good knives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top