Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2016 6:46:16 PM EDT
Judge allows evidence gathering to move forward in Sandy Hook suit against gun manufacturers

BRIDGEPORT >> A state Superior Court judge did not rule Monday on a motion to strike the case filed last year against the manufacturer of the weapon used in the deadly 2012 shooting at a Newtown elementary school.

But Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis heard another round of oral arguments before her upcoming decision on whether to throw the case out, and ruled the discovery process could continue. The defense agreed to file a motion for a protective order on discovery materials by July 5. Such a protective order would make all of the discovery documents sealed and not available to the public.

*snip*

The suit seeks to hold Bushmaster Firearms and Remington partially responsible for the tragedy, claiming they should have known or did know that firearms of that type, if sold to civilians, would cause injury to others, according to the complaint. A trial is scheduled to begin April 3, 2018.

“It is not an excuse to say all they do is deliver [the firearms] to a wholesaler,” said Josh Koskoff, lead attorney for the plaintiffs in the case.

Koskoff said manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers know the weapons are likely to end up in the wrong hands.

Koskoff also spoke at length about the weapon’s capabilities and described military protocol for handling the assault rifles, which he said includes putting an entire military base on lockdown if one of the firearms is not accounted for.

These types of assault rifles are the weapons of choice for the U.S. military, the best military in the world, Koskoff said.

“And there it was, not on a battlefield, but on the floor of Vicki Soto’s first-grade classroom,” Koskoff said, referring to a teacher killed in the attack. “It did not get there by accident, and the shooter did not use it by accident.”

However, the defense argues that the manufacturers are protected by the Protection of Lawful Commerce Act, passed in 2005, which does not allow for manufacturers to face charges over the criminal use of weapons.

James Vogts, representing Remington in the case, told the court Monday that manufacturers were two or three times removed from the eventual customer of the firearm, and therefore cannot be responsible for criminal activity.

Vogts said that because the sale of the rifle used in the shooting was lawfully made, the manufacturer did not display negligence of trust.

“If the manufacturer is not there … how can it be shown that the manufacturer knew or should have known of the [customer’s] incompetence?” Vogts said.

Whether the firearms should be sold is a decision reserved for legislators, not the court, he said.

Koskoff agreed that banning the weapons was a legislative issue, but he said a guilty verdict in this case would force firearms manufacturers to decide if it’s worth continuing to sell the product if they could face further legal consequences after other shootings.

Koskoff said before the proceedings Monday that if the case continues to trial, one question he will ask the executives of Remington is whether the continued sale of these assault rifles is worth the number of civilian lives that have been lost.

*snip*

Link
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw this story on CBS news.

The mom was upset because the AR-15 was not marketed for hunting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm fine with it as long as the family's pay for the defenses' attorney fees when they lose
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm fine with it as long as the family's pay for the defenses' attorney fees when they lose
View Quote

Like.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its like rubbing you dog's nose in their shit.  

They deserve it but its still sad because they lost their kid.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Like.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like.

Double like.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
That case is going nowhere.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Koskoff said manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers know the weapons are likely to end up in the wrong hands.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
geez i bet remington has had to spin up a whole different legal dept to handle sandy hook lawsuits.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This had better fucking happen.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They lost my sympathy when they decided to try to take away my Constitutional rights to firearms. Now they are just anti scum, no different than the Brady's or Bloomberg's of the world.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Wonder if Chevrolet will get sued in the same fashion the next time some jerk off kills someone racing a Corvette. My guess would be no.

Activist judge's going to activist.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
For some reason envisioning this trial reminds me of Miracle on 34th Street where they start bringing in reindeer and mail men to prove santa clause is real.  I can imagine some pretty interesting visual aids being presented.  The way the justice system works, this case could help gun owners in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They lost my sympathy when they decided to try to take away my Constitutional rights to firearms. Now they are just anti scum, no different than the Brady's or Bloomberg's of the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

They blame the wrong people for their own sorrow and misery.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't we already have a precedent set that says you cannot hold a manufacturer responsible for what someone does with their products?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wonder if Chevrolet will get sued in the same fashion the next time some jerk off kills someone racing a Corvette. My guess would be no.

Activist judge's going to activist.
View Quote

does Seagrams get sued every somebody runs over someone while drunk? How about Budweiser? Sam Adams? Coors? any of the distillers or brewers, or wineries?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't we already have a precedent set that says you cannot hold a manufacturer responsible for what someone does with their products?
View Quote

Well, the current administration is willing to look the other way because of feels and tyranny.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If Beretta hadnt been sued for the shooting in CA a few years back that resulted in the cable locks I would say they have no shot.

These days... The idea of taking responsibility and holding one accountable for their actions just doesnt exist.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Exactly which US army base or World military uses a Connecticut neutered ar15 semi auto rifle? (probably even 223 only)
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, the current administration is willing to look the other way because of feels and tyranny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

Right now, I think those witless fucks are just trying to cash in on tragedy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not because that doesn't recompense the companies for the time and cash flow lost.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I can understand the parents being outraged, and wanting to "take action", but the legal team that convinced them was a viable case deserve the blame IMO when this all goes south.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I dont see how this is going forward
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad my ass.   No more sympathy for useful idiots.

Millions of children in public schools are at risk because of hysterical dipshits like these people turning schools into inviting targets for nutballs and terrorists; they helped create their own problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top