Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
Does anyone have the SS version in 4 1/4" Also what do they mean "TRUE COMMADER STYLE" accepts all standard parts yada yada? The SS won't accept those?
Will the scandium frame hold up as well "Unblued" with a clear coat on it?

I looked at it on S&W web site it looks sharp.

PG
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone have the SS version in 4 1/4" Also what do they mean "TRUE COMMADER STYLE" accepts all standard parts yada yada? The SS won't accept those?

PG

I hated my SW1911s. One was perfect accuracy, reliable...but the trigger sucked and it had huge finish issues. It had lots of pitting in the scandium frame-so I sent it to SW they had it for 90 days gave me the run around...and then sent it back with worse pitting in the frame than before.

I then bought the commander style gun and it was machined incorrectly and I had a million failure to feeds and the frame metal was being peened away by the edge of the barrel ramp. Trigger also sucks, wood grips didnt match at all, and the firing pin safety would not rise enough allowing the block to raise up high enough-resulting in ftfire over and over again.

I bought a Springfield TRP, Colt Commander and Kimber Warrior after the POS Smith guns and they have all been flawless.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PG

I hated my SW1911s. One was perfect accuracy, reliable...but the trigger sucked and it had huge finish issues. It had lots of pitting in the scandium frame-so I sent it to SW they had it for 90 days gave me the run around...and then sent it back with worse pitting in the frame than before.

I then bought the commander style gun and it was machined incorrectly and I had a million failure to feeds and the frame metal was being peened away by the edge of the barrel ramp. Trigger also sucks, wood grips didnt match at all, and the firing pin safety would not rise enough allowing the block to raise up high enough-resulting in ftfire over and over again.

I bought a Springfield TRP, Colt Commander and Kimber Warrior after the POS Smith guns and they have all been flawless.

Damn Thats gotta be the first time I have ever read that about the smiths.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You been living under a rock or something? S&W 1911s have been plagued by ill fit / finish issues from the beginning. One example they cut the rear sight dovetail at an angle, meaning the sight would never sit level.

Another was cut shallow, and the rear sight sat so high you could slide two stacked business cards between the sight and the slide.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You been living under a rock or something? S&W 1911s have been plagued by ill fit / finish issues from the beginning. One example they cut the rear sight dovetail at an angle, meaning the sight would never sit level.

Another was cut shallow, and the rear sight sat so high you could slide two stacked business cards between the sight and the slide.

Like I said its the first I've heard of it. I will look under the rock and see if I can dig up some FACTS!
Edit to add my questions still was not answered after all that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said its the first I've heard of it. I will look under the rock and see if I can dig up some FACTS!

The facts you will likely find is that S&W like all manufacturers has had issues with quality control in the past.  With that said however, the current 1911's being produced by Smith do not suffer from these problems as a whole.  Could you still run into a problem, certainly, but you could with any 1911 available today.

I have a 1911pd in blue that I purchased about 4-5 months ago and it has not given me any problems.  The fit and finish is as good as any box stock weapon I have seen.  In the course of my search for a 1911, I was informed by many here and quite a few from other boards that the Smith 1911's are one of the most reliable out of the box that you will find.  I think they are pooh-poohed by many "1911 experts" because of the external extractor and for the fact that it is a Smith.  

If I were you, I would not have any reservations about purchasing a S&W 1911 and in fact, I will probably get another one myself.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The facts you will likely find is that S&W like all manufacturers has had issues with quality control in the past.  With that said however, the current 1911's being produced by Smith do not suffer from these problems as a whole.  Could you still run into a problem, certainly, but you could with any 1911 available today.

I have a 1911pd in blue that I purchased about 4-5 months ago and it has not given me any problems.  The fit and finish is as good as any box stock weapon I have seen.  In the course of my search for a 1911, I was informed by many here and quite a few from other boards that the Smith 1911's are one of the most reliable out of the box that you will find.  I think they are pooh-poohed by many "1911 experts" because of the external extractor and for the fact that it is a Smith.  

If I were you, I would not have any reservations about purchasing a S&W 1911 and in fact, I will probably get another one myself.

Hope this helps.

Thanks thats what I have been hearing that they are great weapons out f the box!

I do want to know what the differene is with the TRUE COMMANDER STYLE  the ss does not say that on the web site I just wat to know what I;m getting into

Thanks again PG
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
my iowa hometown post today

i purchased a new smith & Wesson 1911 today while in Des Moines today
paid $758 maybe kinda high but wanted to compare several brands and models.

looked at Springfield armory but liked the feel of the s/w
and the dealer assured me it was a better quality firearm.

drove home (marshalltown) 1 hour away

mags don't lock into place when inserted into weapon.

call dealer he says bring it back i will make it right or exchange it.

immediately drive back to dealer 1 hour about 55 miles away
dealer looks it over cant fix it. sold his last one 1/2 hour ago cant exchange it

he will be nice enough to order me a new part. (mag release button)
he should have it in a couple days i can drive back to Des Moines again or he will mail it to a local ffl for me. i should have gun back in about a week

he said it was a good thing i bought from a store and not a gun show or i would have been out of luck.he will take care of me

but to be fair for all my trouble he will sell me a case of ammo (has to be a case)
at only his cost plus 10%
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

dealer looks it over cant fix it. sold his last one 1/2 hour ago cant exchange it

he should have it in a couple days i can drive back to Des Moines again or he will mail it to a local ffl for me. i should have gun back in about a week

he said it was a good thing i bought from a store and not a gun show or i would have been out of luck.he will take care of me

but to be fair for all my trouble he will sell me a case of ammo (has to be a case)

Ouch I think he should have done better than that.

The factory should have seen that also but ............From what I hear S&W has awesome CS
I'm going down ther Monday to pick it up!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to post pics of each and put up a poll.
Without the pics, I say blued....more classic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch I think he should have done better than that.

The factory should have seen that also but ............From what I hear S&W has awesome CS
I'm going down ther Monday to pick it up!

I bet the next time you check that before you leave the store!

I have never had any issues with customer service from most of the major manufacturers.  Smith&Wesson is very easy to deal with and they will make it right.  There is a lifetime warranty on all their firearms.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
By the phrase "True Commander Style" they may be refering to the barrel length of 4.25" and barrel bushing.

The original Commander, the Colt, has the 4.25" barrel w/bushing.

Other manufacturers who offer Commander sized guns (full size frame, shorter barrel) have 4" coned barrels w/out the bushing. I believe this is true of the S.A. Champion and the Pro Carry from Kimber.

But then, I may just be full of shit....
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
By the phrase "True Commander Style" they may be refering to the barrel length of 4.25" and barrel bushing.

The original Commander, the Colt, has the 4.25" barrel w/bushing.

Other manufacturers who offer Commander sized guns (full size frame, shorter barrel) have 4" coned barrels w/out the bushing. I believe this is true of the S.A. Champion and the Pro Carry from Kimber.

But then, I may just be full of shit....

Thanks

Nice Disclaimer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top