Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/2/2007 7:59:28 AM EDT
ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ir_EWTjtKBz18NjAm4A2fa6CnP2wD8T9173O0

San Francisco Offers Gift Cards for Guns
By JASON DEAREN – 14 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A man carrying a semiautomatic handgun approached a group of San Francisco police officers Saturday afternoon and, with a smile, handed over the pistol in exchange for $150 in gift cards.

"I used to fire it at bottles or do some plinking in the woods," said the gun's owner, 48-year-old Bruce Bourne. "But I have a 6-year-old daughter now and my wife was uncomfortable with it being in the house."

For a few hours on a sunny yet brisk Saturday, San Francisco police officers accepted 100 guns from about 80 people in the city's second "Gifts for Guns" event. The first event in July brought in 117 handguns and 2 shotguns.

The idea is to make the streets seem a little safer when the city's murder rate has risen in recent years — San Francisco has had at least 89 homicides so far this year.

Among the 100 guns collected Saturday were 4 assault rifles and two sawed-off shotguns, said Mikail Ali, director of the mayor's office of criminal justice.

As Ali discussed the city's efforts to curb violence another man walked up with a large, black gun case. He took out a black assault rifle with a folding stock and pistol grip and turned it in.

"Twenty years ago you could buy a gun like that legally in California. Some were registered properly, some weren't," Ali said.

California law makes owning an assault weapon illegal, but Gifts for Guns allows people to turn in their firearms without showing identification, and officials promise not to ask any questions about the guns' origins.

Once in police custody the guns are checked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to see if they were stolen. Ali said 99 percent of the guns recovered are destroyed and, if the guns were stolen, they are returned to their owners, if possible.

Participants received $100 gift cards for turning in rifles or shotguns, $150 cards for revolvers or semiautomatic pistols and $200 cards for assault-type weapons like AK-47s.

But not everyone participating in the gun program Saturday believed it was helpful.

Peter Buxtun, a 70-year-old gun advocate, turned in two pistols Saturday that he said were worthless. He collected $300 in gift cards.

"You can buy junk guns for $10 and then use the gift cards to buy new guns," he said. "I saw a half-dozen uniformed SF police officers taken off the street to sit for hours in a City Hall photo-op, instead of patrolling certain drug-ridden and gang-infested neighborhoods."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:00:40 AM EDT
What a bunch of pussies.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:00:53 AM EDT
Here's what comes next: "Your papers, please."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:03:22 AM EDT
I would suggest that they hand over thier Man cards too while they are at it
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:03:55 AM EDT
I liked the last paragraph.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:04:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shootemup:

I wonder what his ar15.com screen name is
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:08:10 AM EDT
I got to the word" Seem" and agreed completely

It sure gives off that illusion to these sackless drones.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:09:39 AM EDT
My local Gun store alway has some pistols under 100 bucks, wonder if i got a bunch of them and cashed in that would be at least a 50 dollars profit on each one. hmmm to bad i dont live in cali. Man card or not thats a good profit margin.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:11:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shootemup:

Exactly....a great way to fuck them at their own game!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:12:13 AM EDT
Sounds like good news to me! Anybody who turns in their guns didn't deserve to have them in the first place. It's great for people trying to make a little extra money off a Lorcin or something like that though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:14:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:16:09 AM EDT
I wonder if anyone turned in any 45-caliber assault rifles
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:16:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fergie0660:
My local Gun store alway has some pistols under 100 bucks, wonder if i got a bunch of them and cashed in that would be at least a 50 dollars profit on each one. hmmm to bad i dont live in cali. Man card or not thats a good profit margin.

LA had to stop one of these idiotic fell good douchefests when it was uncovered that the $150 chits were being used to buy crappy C and R "barrel of rifle" arms, over and over, to turn a profit.

Stupid douchebags. I wish criminals would read these and try specifically to find the sheep who turned in their weapons, because they "didn't feel right" avbout having a weapon in the house now that they have a family.

What kind of pussy intentionally relinquishes his ability to defend his own family?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:16:16 AM EDT
Dupe~

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=645730&page=1
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:17:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:17:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ir_EWTjtKBz18NjAm4A2fa6CnP2wD8T9173O0

San Francisco Offers Gift Cards for Guns
By JASON DEAREN – 14 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A man carrying a semiautomatic handgun approached a group of San Francisco police officers Saturday afternoon and, with a smile, handed over the pistol in exchange for $150 in gift cards.

"I used to fire it at bottles or do some plinking in the woods," said the gun's owner, 48-year-old Bruce Bourne. "But I have a 6-year-old daughter now and my wife was uncomfortable with it being in the house."

For a few hours on a sunny yet brisk Saturday, San Francisco police officers accepted 100 guns from about 80 people in the city's second "Gifts for Guns" event. The first event in July brought in 117 handguns and 2 shotguns.

The idea is to make the streets seem a little safer when the city's murder rate has risen in recent years — San Francisco has had at least 89 homicides so far this year.

Among the 100 guns collected Saturday were 4 assault rifles and two sawed-off shotguns, said Mikail Ali, director of the mayor's office of criminal justice.

As Ali discussed the city's efforts to curb violence another man walked up with a large, black gun case. He took out a black assault rifle with a folding stock and pistol grip and turned it in.

"Twenty years ago you could buy a gun like that legally in California. Some were registered properly, some weren't," Ali said.

California law makes owning an assault weapon illegal, but Gifts for Guns allows people to turn in their firearms without showing identification, and officials promise not to ask any questions about the guns' origins.

Once in police custody the guns are checked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to see if they were stolen. Ali said 99 percent of the guns recovered are destroyed and, if the guns were stolen, they are returned to their owners, if possible.

Participants received $100 gift cards for turning in rifles or shotguns, $150 cards for revolvers or semiautomatic pistols and $200 cards for assault-type weapons like AK-47s.

But not everyone participating in the gun program Saturday believed it was helpful.

Peter Buxtun, a 70-year-old gun advocate, turned in two pistols Saturday that he said were worthless. He collected $300 in gift cards.

"You can buy junk guns for $10 and then use the gift cards to buy new guns," he said. "I saw a half-dozen uniformed SF police officers taken off the street to sit for hours in a City Hall photo-op, instead of patrolling certain drug-ridden and gang-infested neighborhoods."

God Bless that man!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:19:46 AM EDT

Stupid sheep doing what they are told...they are going to wish they had those guns when the balloon goes up....(pic not from the said buy back)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:19:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GAcop:
What a bunch of pussies.

+1,000,000

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:20:28 AM EDT
Mr Buxton for next NRA President!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:21:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 8:22:49 AM EDT by jeepinbanditrider]

Out of this ENTIRE article that ONE word sums up the whole "gun by back" scheme.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:34:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jeepinbanditrider:

Out of this ENTIRE article that ONE word sums up the whole "gun by back" scheme.

I wonder if you filter out the gangbanger on gangbanger how many of those murders were by firearms.......
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:36:15 AM EDT
San Fran? Does this really surprise anyone?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:40:05 AM EDT
wow, they truely are pathetic, if civil unrest breaks out, i guess they feel confident thier government can and will save them
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:52:38 AM EDT
San Franciscans surrender their common sense and god given logic years ago (aparently) so giving up their guns now is just simply a natural progression of their current mode of GroupThink.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:28:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:31:07 AM EDT
I really need to start buying junk handguns. You could make some serious coin off of one of those events.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:34:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 9:34:09 AM EDT by NorCal_LEO]
4 page thread with pics here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=645730
Top Top