Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 11:53:08 AM EDT

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070904-1353-bn04ban.html

By Chet Barfield
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
1:53 p.m. September 4, 2007
SAN DIEGO – A day after a melee between liquored-up beachgoers and police at Pacific Beach, Councilman Kevin Faulconer said Tuesday he will try to enact a total ban of alcohol on city beaches.
Such a ban already exists on beaches in La Jolla. Faulconer said he would introduce an ordinance before the City Council extending that would extend that ban to Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach.

From today's U-T
16 arrested after fight at beach becomes melee
Video
A brawl erupted at Pacific Beach Monday, forcing police to don riot gear. The altercation started after a group of partiers refused to comply with a police order that they put away their water slide.

Faulconer announced his intentions at a news conference held near Reed Avenue and Ocean Boulevard in Pacific Beach, the site of Monday's drunken brawl, which ignited when officers tried to break up a large fight on the beach.

Sixteen people were arrested for fighting and public drunkenness.

He called the incident “an embarrassment and a disgrace” to the city.

“Never again should we have to have police in riot gear walking down the beaches – that is not San Diego,” the councilman said. “For those who believe an all-out ban is too extreme, I invite you to convince me otherwise.”

The issue of alcohol on city beaches is a sensitive one, and both supporters and opponents of a booze ban were on hand for Faulconer's announcement. A Beach Alcohol Task Force convened by the councilman a year ago failed to reach a consensus.

First smoking bans, now this...I hate my state.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAT !

Scratch SD off my list
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top