Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 11:26:22 AM EDT
I'd like to take my son to San Diego to do some fishing.  Anyone have any info/tips on the different outfitters there for a 1/2 or 3/4 day trip?  I understand that they are located in different places and that some take a while to actually get to the fishing areas, while some are much closer so less time is taken getting there so more time fishing.  
Seems like they're catching alot of "Calico" or "Kelp" bass right now.  Are they any good?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot depends on what type of Deep Sea Fishing experience you are looking for. The 1/2 and 3/4 Day trips mostly fish the local waters and will go after whatever is biting that week. The 1-2 day trips usually are after some type of Tuna (yellowtail, albacore, etc.).  The Long Range trips are not for someone who doesn't yet know if they like being at sea or not.

You can have a good time on any of these trips. If this is your son's first time you might want to ask the landing to recommend a less crowded boat or a day when there are less people usually. The weekends can get a little hairy if there is a full boat. There may even be a special "beginners" trip available.

Here are a few links for you to start your research. Also, I would suggest staying one or 2 nights in the area and seeing some of the other sights. Hell, you could go to SeaWorld the day before you go fishing to get a look at what you will be going for.  

Fisherman's Landing
H&M Landing
San Diego Sport Fishing Online
Point Loma Sportfishing

I just googled these under "San Diego Fishing". There are a lot more sites for you to research. The boat captains know that the people want more fishing time but they also know where the fish are. If they have to run longer to find the fish you will have a better time catching fish in less time than fishing a lot and catching nothing.

After you book your trip try to watch the fish count reports on the websites. This will give you an idea of what is running. Also, if you don't have your own tackle, they all have rentals available. Some are better than others though, so if you don't think what they give you is any good ask if they offer a better grade of rental tackle at a slightly higher price.

Above all Have Fun!!!!  And remember to get the non-drowsy sea sickness pills.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top