Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 1:28:59 PM EDT
Picking up a samsung galaxy later. Do they have the ability to be a wifi hotspot? Done with AT&T and iPhone. Tmobile always had great coverage here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Picking up a samsung galaxy later. Do they have the ability to be a wifi hotspot? Done with AT&T and iPhone. Tmobile always had great coverage here.

I've had 2 samsung smart phones, the blackjack and the epic, both had major fatal lockups that would render them useless and inoperable, with any notice. Hard resets were required and any calls or messages sent to those phones in that time were lost to cyberspace. Both were promised to have all sorts of updates that never happened. I'm never buying a samsung phone again. Look at something else.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It can be a hot spot.  Depending on your carrier you'll likely have to pay extra to legitimately use that feature.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1088621
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It can be a hot spot.  Depending on your carrier you'll likely have to pay extra to legitimately use that feature.

Not worried about legit, just want that feature.

Hate hearing that about the samsungs. They seem way better than the google phones.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a Samsung Captivate for about 3 weeks.  So far it has been fantastic, but then again I've only had it for 3 weeks...  Supposedly it can be used as a tether if it is rooted, but I have decided to leave it stock for now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1088621

Thanks for link. What does rooted mean? Website or link? I am not smart phone literate.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Rooted = Jailbreak, essentially God mode.  The factory setup does not allow the user to access the device in God mode.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rooted = Jailbreak, essentially God mode.  The factory setup does not allow the user to access the device in God mode.

Except with an Android device, you can do many things without rooting that you can't do on an iPhone without jailbreaking.  

There's actually not a whole lot that you can do with Android that needs root to do so.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except with an Android device, you can do many things without rooting that you can't do on an iPhone without jailbreaking.  

There's actually not a whole lot that you can do with Android that needs root to do so.

That's good to know.  Makes me feel better and better for selecting a product that runs Android instead of an iPhone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wifi hotspot? That's the one real feature that I really want and have no idea how to get or where to look.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had mine for 4 weeks with no issues or problems.  Also I have not attempted to use it as a hot spot nor have I attempted to.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate hearing that about the samsungs. They seem way better than the google phones.

???  Google doesn't make phones...just software.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows how little I know about these. I had a droid google phone when it first came out and it was nowhere close to the iPhone. But now it seems everyone has caught up and even passed iPhone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows how little I know about these. I had a droid google phone when it first came out and it was nowhere close to the iPhone. But now it seems everyone has caught up and even passed iPhone.

Yeah, lots of Samsung phones running Google's Android operating system.  Epic for one that I know also acts as a hot spot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Posting off of my samsung fascinate now. This phone is awesome. It can act as a hot spot but I think it cost extra through verizon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
i bought a samsung captivate (aka galaxy s) three days ago and it's a phenomenal phone.  only issue i've had is the weak gps, which is supposed to be fixed w/ the software upgrade coming this month.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[url=http://www.junefabrics.com/android/]PdaNet[/url]

Root the phone and use Wireless Tether ftw.  Ask me how I know!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Dumb question. How easy is it to get your iTunes music and podcasts transferred to a droid based phone? Do you sync droids like an iPhone for updates and such?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PdaNet

Is rooting as risky as jail breaking iPhones? Do droids brick? Are they constantly trying to block it like apple does?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Captivate and love it.

Will only get better with the 2.2 update.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PdaNet

Is rooting as risky as jail breaking iPhones? Do droids brick? Are they constantly trying to block it like apple does?

Trot over to the XDA developers forum, chose your device and start reading. I have never seen/heard of anyone with average intelligence that bricked a
device.  First Android was the HTC Hero and rooted it.  I now am using the HTC EVO 4G and rooted it the day after it came out in June. I have flashed it with custom ROMs probably a hundred times without incident.  Read, pay attention, proceed with caution step by step, root with a custom recovery image, nandroid backup the device, flash custom ROM and enjoy.

You actually have more control over the rooting process than jail breaking and you don't have to go though itunes either.  
Much more support as well.  Custom ROMs, custom kernels, themes, apps galore. Improve your battery usage, OC/UV the CPU for increased speed at lower voltages and many more advantages that are not allowed on ifail.  Plus you can hold the EVO any way you want to and not lose signal strength.

P.S. you couldn't give me an iphone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PdaNet

Trot over to the XDA developers forum, chose your device and start reading. I have never seen/heard of anyone with average intelligence that bricked a
device.  First Android was the HTC Hero and rooted it.  I now am using the HTC EVO 4G and rooted it the day after it came out in June. I have flashed it with custom ROMs probably a hundred times without incident.  Read, pay attention, proceed with caution step by step, root with a custom recovery image, nandroid backup the device, flash custom ROM and enjoy.

You actually have more control over the rooting process than jail breaking and you don't have to go though itunes either.  
Much more support as well.  Custom ROMs, custom kernels, themes, apps galore. Improve your battery usage, OC/UV the CPU for increased speed at lower voltages and many more advantages that are not allowed on ifail.  Plus you can hold the EVO any way you want to and not lose signal strength.

P.S. you couldn't give me an iphone.

Found that. Thanks. Monday it is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're computer savvy, read up on rooting android, Which means you gain linux (su) root.

by having root you are able to install 3rd party customized ROMs (modified OS) which gives you complete control over your phone with many features.

If not pay out your as for extra features like hotspot.

if not enjoy the phone, its a nice one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#25]
How the eff can you have an epic and within 12 days destroy the software and blame samsung?
Lemme guess you loaded Lookout, task killers out the wazzu and friggin antivirus?
Rooted it and did not read the warnings about a recovery image etc and then blame the phone?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had a Galaxy S for a couple of months...great phone...but
GPS Sucks...
Battery Sucks....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Posted this in android thread, but can anyone tell me how to import contacts and music from iphone and itunes to droid?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a Moment and I love it.

It vibrates.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top