Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/11/2008 10:10:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2008 10:10:41 AM EDT by snake_eyes]
link

Same exact issue only with an Inspiron 1520!!!!!!!  Since it is the same problem I know it is something I am doing wrong.  I formatted the drive since the OS was jacked.  I downloaded all the drivers on a jump drive and installed them from there.  When searching for the drivers I read the card's model # and mac address in order to configure it as desired.  I'm used to XP so I know it is something I am doing wrong....   Anyway, it locates the card and tries to connect ONLY to secure networks.  It will not try to connect to an unsecure network.  I took Cruze5's advice and even tried to remove the card and reinstall it physically.  No luck.  At this point there is no anti-virus protection because it has not been on the net.  So I know there are no firewall issues preventing the connection.  

Any new ideas?  I'm at a loss...
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 12:58:23 PM EDT
is this laptop hooked uptothe same router the original system is hooked up too?

do have have a computer thats hardwired to this 2nd router(if its a 2nd router)?  does the internet not work or stop working on it ??  
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 6:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2008 6:31:26 PM EDT by gaspain]
click Start

then Control Panel

then Network Connections

Right click your wireless adapter, then click properties

check: use Windows to mange wireless connections is checked

somewhere in there, is a pull down tab that says "only connect to secure access points"

change that to connect to all.

OK

then reboot

(the above procedure is from memory, it may be missing a step in the middle)
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:50:30 AM EDT
Thanks guys, but neither solution yeilded any results.  I also noticed that Vista is not reading the names of wireless networks correctly.  For example: Joes is read as Joe's.  It adds an ' when it thinks it needs to be there.  Something isn't right.
Top Top