Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/14/2007 2:09:49 PM EDT
Not sure if this had been posted before, I felt even if it had a second go around for military members and veterans.

Subject: Salute the Flag

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1877

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to

allow veterans and service personnel not in uniform to salute the flag.
Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and service members not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform.
"Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and service personnel alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not."

"I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

This Bill was passed July 25, 2007.

Please share this important news with all of your friends and family who are currently serving or have served in our nation's military.

S-34
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:49:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By monkeybusiness:

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Okay, let me crap on this parade.... the "salute the flag" thing amounts to feel-good legislation and does NOTHING to protect America from the illegal criminal/alien invaders.

I take it you are not a veteran. I take you have nothing substantive to contribute.

Come shitting in a thread with some totally irrelevant bullshit.

Figures.

Last time I checked, not every law has to do with criminal activity, but let's not let that dissuade you from posting your inane bullshit.

Wrong. USAF. Move on.

No, you fucking move on to another thread so you can shit in it.

That you are a veteran doesn't change the fact that your post is just so much irrelevant bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:07:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG: No, you fucking move on to another thread so you can shit in it. That you are a veteran doesn't change the fact that your post is just so much irrelevant bullshit.
I hope our politicians continue to pass feel-good legislation so people like you stay happy. I feel so bad that you have such outrage and anger over some stupid internet bullshit post. Maybe you could use some mental health counseling and anger management therapy.

Based on your rant, I'm gonna predict this thread will be closed before the end of page 2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:43:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FordGuy:
NO, this is needed. I'm one of the guys screaming about illegals, and I think personally we can spare the congressional brain cells to make this happen. I like it.

+1

and larryg ain't mad yet
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:47:04 AM EDT
Well lets send this back to the front for further comment.

Thanks to those whom protect this right.

S-34
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:52:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tango7:

Okay, let me crap on this parade.... the "salute the flag" thing amounts to feel-good legislation and does NOTHING to protect America from the illegal criminal/alien invaders.

While I can understand and support the good Senator's intention, I have to agree to a certain extent.

What, is the "flag police" going to arrest a veteran for saluting under the current Code?

This was my first thought reading this article.

I never served, this may be important to many people and i as a non-service member may simply not understand.

But salute the flag while not in uniform. I promise not to use citizens arrest.

On that note, If i were a senator, I wouldn't bother introducing bills like this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:44:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:48:11 AM EDT

I take it you are not a veteran. I take you have nothing substantive to contribute.

Figures.

Last time I checked, not every law has to do with criminal activity, but let's not let that dissuade you from posting your inane bullshit.

Wrong. USAF. Move on.
AF...figures.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:04:46 PM EDT
My opinion is this, even during active duty service, I did not salute out of uniform. The only time we (Marines) saluted was if we were in uniform and wearing a cover. I know this differs with other branches, but this is how we did things. I do ,however, to this day, come to attention as the colors pass, and place my hand over my heart.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:29:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 12:31:15 PM EDT by Hebrew_Battle_Rifle]
Now that this crucial issue has been properly addressed andsolved, perhaps we can use this momentum to pass vital legislation to allow children to exceed + or - 36 degrees of angle while smiling on a swing set.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 12:37:05 PM EDT by TheGrayMan]
161Infantry

AF...figures....

Hah! You're just jealous of the fact that the AF has all the fine ladies...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:09:14 PM EDT
The hand or hat over the heart is fine but I do like the salule better, if properly executed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:24:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
161Infantry

AF...figures....

And DI's with snooze alarms...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 9:37:51 PM EDT by PaDanby]

Figures.

Wrong. USAF. Move on.

No, you fucking move on to another thread so you can shit in it.

That you are a veteran doesn't change the fact that your post is just so much irrelevant bullshit.

So is the damn law, we need Congress to be working on REAL problems. As noted I'll salute any damn way I feel like. And as a member of the Sea Services, if I happen to be wearing a hat/cover of some sort and am armed in some way, I render the hand salute, and if I'm not I still do.

The last time I was in Arlington and a funeral procession (flag officer, full guard, band, caparisoned horse) came by, most of the tourists at least stood silently, I would expect by the number of people rendering hand salutes that most of the men were Vets and had no problem showing that by saluting respectfully. I didn't see anybody running alongside taking our names and shaking their fingers at us. In fact the honor guards, came to Eyes Right and exchanged salutes as they passed.

Let the Vets salute as they will, and woe unto them that says them nay.

And if I am not mistaken, members of the Army used to be expected to salute when not in uniform in most (not all) situations where a salute in uniform was appropriate.

I don't need Congress to tell me what is appropriate military courtesy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:08:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
161Infantry

AF...figures....

Ok, OK you got me.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:44:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PaDanby:
So is the damn law, we need Congress to be working on REAL problems. As noted I'll salute any damn way I feel like. And as a member of the Sea Services, if I happen to be wearing a hat/cover of some sort and am armed in some way, I render the hand salute, and if I'm not I still do.

Technically, until this passes, it is illegal to render a hand salute when not in uniform even while on active duty. That is why I do the hand over the heart instead of a salute. Even if you do it anyway, why complain that they are changing it?

Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and service members not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

As for the REAL problems part, you know it doesn't hurt a damn thing nor take away from anything for them to do this. Why be against it?

The last time I was in Arlington and a funeral procession (flag officer, full guard, band, caparisoned horse) came by, most of the tourists at least stood silently, I would expect by the number of people rendering hand salutes that most of the men were Vets and had no problem showing that by saluting respectfully. I didn't see anybody running alongside taking our names and shaking their fingers at us. In fact the honor guards, came to Eyes Right and exchanged salutes as they passed.

That sounds like it would have been very moving.

Let the Vets salute as they will, and woe unto them that says them nay.

I agree, but why all the sour grapes that they make it a non-issue in case some schmuck does try to make an issue of it?

And if I am not mistaken, members of the Army used to be expected to salute when not in uniform in most (not all) situations where a salute in uniform was appropriate.

See above.

I don't need Congress to tell me what is appropriate military courtesy.

I agree, but this change doesn't hurt anything and I really don't get some people being upset about it happening.
Top Top