Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/2/2011 8:13:55 AM EST
In high hopes my cousin and a couple friends headed out to the Bonneville Salt Flats for one last oorah before the summer was over.

My cousin's Mustang had just got a full suspension kit, sans a couple parts he was waiting on; subframe connectors, panhard bar, torque arm, and a bunch of other junk, along with some 315 Nitto's in the rear and 275 Nittos in the front; the car was STUCK to the road. Taking sharp turns with the rev limiter buried in 1st on dry pavement netted nothing but traction and acceleration. 'twas awesome.

Anywho, we had his Mustang, then my buddies' BMW and 300ZX. It's about a 2.5 hour drive to the Flats from where we lived, so we rolled in right after noon. We hit the flats and did a top-speed run, finally reaching the 140MPH mark in the Mustang. This was with 340lbs worth of people and 70lbs worth of ice chest, a full tank of 91 octane, the convertible top up and at 4,219ft.

Once we were far enough out, I cracked my Bud Light and BMW/300ZX guys started setting up a road course.

My cousin says he wants to do some quick turns to see how well it handles now compared to before––we were looking for door rattle, convertible top rattle and wheel hop. None was there, which was great, but about 20 seconds in we hear the 4.6L just start tapping real loud. We turn the car off, but it was too late; he had spun a rod bearing.

Defeated, we borrowed my buddy's BMW and drove the 2.5 hours back to my house and got Whitney II (my Duramax), a 6x20 flatbed and drove 2.5 hours back up. It was nearly dark so finding the car proved a little difficult––thank God for GPS, we would have been screwed otherwise. But we found the car, and drove 3 hours home (had to keep it 75MPH or less with the trailer).

We got back about 10 PM, went to Texas Roadhouse and called the day a "total loss."

Things we learned:

1) Always trailer at least one of the vehicles up. You never know when something's going to break.
2) If you're going to bury the needle for minutes at a time, get a high-flow oil pump, deep pan and sump.
3) 2500HD's aren't built to go fast on flats. I think I lost some fillings out of my teeth.
4) Griggs makes a great Mustang kit.

Anyway, we did manage to get some pics. Enjoy!

Right after it broke:

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:21:13 AM EST
Fun times!

I have a question though, how do you keep the salt from killing your bodies? Is there a pretty intense cleaning afterwards?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:23:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2011 8:23:39 AM EST by DarkCharisma]
Originally Posted By CSM:
Fun times!

I have a question though, how do you keep the salt from killing your bodies? Is there a pretty intense cleaning afterwards?

Yeah, it's pretty involved to clean up afterward. I spend a few bucks for hot high-pressure water and soap at the car wash, then you've got to make sure your boots and other rubber components are free of salt, a good spray-down with WD-40 and some work with a grease gun is a must.

You could easily make a whole day out of cleaning up afterward. The worst part is the interior though; the salt sticks to your shoes like snow, and tracks like it too––except it sticks to your carpet versus melting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:28:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
Fun times!

Yeah, it's pretty involved to clean up afterward. I spend a few bucks for hot high-pressure water and soap at the car wash, then you've got to make sure your boots and other rubber components are free of salt, a good spray-down with WD-40 and some work with a grease gun is a must.

You could easily make a whole day out of cleaning up afterward. The worst part is the interior though; the salt sticks to your shoes like snow, and tracks like it too––except it sticks to your carpet versus melting.

Do some cheating and place a oscillating sprinkler under the vehicle for an hour or two and move it several times to different locations.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:30:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Fun times!

Do some cheating and place a oscillating sprinkler under the vehicle for an hour or two and move it several times to different locations.

Does this legitimately work? I don't doubt you, I am just curious if it has the PSI necessary to knock off the caked on salt.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:36:01 AM EST
Fun times!

Does this legitimately work? I don't doubt you, I am just curious if it has the PSI necessary to knock off the caked on salt.

It should dissolve it. Don't park it over your grass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:38:31 AM EST
Fun times!

I live in Michigan, I do it several times a winter and in the spring. It works. If it's really caked on, just add some more time in each location.
Top Top