Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 4:36:13 AM EDT
Does anyone know the proper way to heat up Sake? The wife & I are having some tonight and want to know the right way to heat it up. Also, what is your favorite brand of Sake?

Thanks in advance,
GlockSpeed31

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Only sake I must have had must have sucked, because it sucked.  Booze isn't supposed to give hangovers an hour after or so you drink it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy good stuff and serve it just below room tempurature - at least that's what the experts say.

Good info here:
   www.sake-world.com/

Enjoy !
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Put it in a bottle with a small mouth or something and heat it up in boiling water.
The best temperature for drinking is supposedly 80 degrees Centigrade.
Some Japanese people like adding a bit of dried squid when heating to add some variation.

I like "hiyakunen no kodoku"(100 years of solitude) and "Morizou".

Happy new year
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
We have a sake container and cups. I just fill the small ceramic container up and nuke it in the microwave for about the amount of time you would reheat a cup of coffee.

Careful, do it in 10 or 15 second intervals until you get it just right. It's easy to overheat it.

As for the brand, as your local liquor store proprietor what brand he suggests, that is what the wife and I did and we did just fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
all I know is if you use it to grill steak it rocks.  A buddy of mine used about a 1/2 cup on two big Tbones and it was unreal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was deployed to Japan, we drank sake like it was water.  when we got back here, it just didn't taste the same
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Not all types of sake are supposed to be heated, some types are supposed to be chilled. I have a bottle of each but I've forgotten which one is which.  

The normal way to heat sake is to heat some water to just below boiling point in a container then put the bottle in the water for a while. How long you leave it in the water depends on how hot you want the sake to be. Normally you'd heat it in a special little ceramic serving bottle called a tokkuri, but if you don't have one, use the bottle the sake comes in (remove the cap first). The glass bottle may crack if the water is too hot though (glass doesn't react well when it's temperature changes suddenly).

The quick and dirty way is to microwave it, how long depends on how powerful your microwave is and if you're heating the whole bottle or a couple of small glasses of it.

Favourite brand? I'm at work, the bottles are at home and I don't remember their brands. I'm not a sake connoisseur.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Rule of thumb is: Better sake is drank cool or cold. Less good stuff is heated.

For an interesting treat, try a "Nigori" sake. This is an unfiltered rustic style of sake with a big flavor and a texture like soy milk. Tasty well chilled.

ONe last thing, good sake can be expensive, and cheap sake tastes like cheap sake.

Regards,

efxguy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top