Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2013 8:30:32 PM EDT
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Dec/06/constellation-memories-sailors/

The end is near. She’s heading for the scrap heap. It’s time to say goodbye to “Connie,” one of the most beloved naval ships in the history of San Diego.

The Navy said it will soon turn over the Constellation to a company that will dismantle the aircraft carrier, which was in service for almost 42 years. For virtually all of that time, she was home-ported in San Diego. The ship's island tower was often part of the city's skyline.

Connie — as the ship is widely known — was decommissioned in 2003, shortly after she participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Since then, the hulking carrier has been resting at anchor at the inactive-ship maintenance facility in Bremerton, Wash.

Duty on board the Connie 1980's

Going under the Brooklyn Bridge, 1962

Left to right -
CV62 - USS Independence (Forrestal class Supercarrier)
CV63 - USS Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk class Supercarrier)
CV64 - USS Constellation (Kitty Hawk class Supercarrier)
CV61 - USS Ranger (Forrestal class Supercarrier)
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool ships to bad they can't just upgrade them to stay around a few more years
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the KH, Ranger, and Connie were all stationed in SD when I was a lad there in 1981/82, before I went into the Air Force.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Did the '99 deployment. Twas a good ship.

Is that a VAST station?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool ships to bad they can't just upgrade them to stay around a few more years
View Quote

That'd cost more than the CVs cost to first construct.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand why they get rid of these carriers. Other than because of money, you'd think we'd want to keep adding to the power of our Navy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Well on the bright side maybe we can have some carriers with classic names again. Fuck this naming Carriers after presidents crap. Give me the Enterprise, Hornet, Wasp, Ranger, etc. What kind of servicemember could ever sail on the USS Barak Hussein Obama.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't understand why they get rid of these carriers. Other than because of money, you'd think we'd want to keep adding to the power of our Navy.
View Quote

The very practice of taking a ship to sea destroys it. The upkeep is staggering.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It isn't cost effective. At all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Why don't we sell them to friendly nations? Has that not been allowed since the Falklands?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
First and only carrier to visit Anchorage.  That was neat, saw the helicopters re-supplying it in the morning.

Too big to dock, it had to be lightered.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a USS Ranger ballcap from when my brother served on her.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck scrapping them.  let them live on as artificial reefs.
even though cleaning one out to appease the environmentalweenies before sinking costs a fuckton of coin.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Salt water and steel don't get along when the water is calm, and these have gone far in far more than calm.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:47:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pieces start falling off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

At a certain point, you don't keep replacing parts on your car. You toss it and get a new one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow to think of all of the important events that those carriers have been involved with throughout the years.. I hate to see it (and the others) go.  I hope they rename future ones by the old names vs that of some politician.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow to think of all of the important events that those carriers have been involved with throughout the years.. I hate to see it (and the others) go.  I hope they rename future ones by the old names vs that of some politician.
View Quote

It's a measure of our force projection to know we have more super carriers in MOTHBALLS than every other country has in active service.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's a measure of our force projection to know we have more super carriers in MOTHBALLS than every other country has in active service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, no doubt!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]
My Connie story....

Served aboard the USS Kitty Hawk 1979-82.  KH and Connie sometimes both at dock NAS North Island.  One night returned to boat after a bit of heavy drinking, walked up the brow showed ID and requested permission to come aboard.  (ID cards had a sticker with hull number)  Was promptly advised that my ship was the next one over.  

Well, they did look the same.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Connie story....

Served aboard the USS Kitty Hawk 1979-82.  KH and Connie sometimes both at dock NAS North Island.  One night returned to boat after a bit of heavy drinking, walked up the brow showed ID and requested permission to come aboard.  (ID cards had a sticker with hull number)  Was promptly advised that my ship was the next one over.  

Well, they did look the same.  
View Quote

I did the same while stationed on the Truman at Norfolk. I we walked up on the Enterprise and was quickly turned around by the OOD.

That would not fly anymore, that would be an alcohol related incident these days.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Honeymooned in SD in 2002 and watched the Constellation leave the harbor from Point Loma. Fun to see it riding so high in the water, since the air wing wasn't on board. Have the pictures in our Honeymoon album.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Dad was a plank owner on the Constellation.  My brother and I wanted to take him to the decommissioning but he wouldn't go for it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I misread the title and though you were talking about the USS Constitution
View Quote

The original Constellation was decommissioned and is in Baltimore's harbor. There will never be an new USS Constitution, because the original is still a fully commissioned warship. Unlike the Victory that is only thirty years her senior, she could sail across the Atlantic if they wanted her to.

I like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#26]
What kind of servicemember could ever sail on the USS Barak Hussein Obama.
View Quote

Lesbian ones.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Interesting see that mast folded over going under the bridge.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of the old carrier names are being recycled into the gator fleet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lesbian ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lesbian ones.

Gay ones.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I served on USS CONSTELLATION (CV by god 64) from OCT 91 to NOV 94, Engineering and Strike Operations. Earned my Officer of the Deck and Surface Warfare Officer Qualifications on her; Captain could sleep at night when I had the deck. That tour served as the foundation of my naval career and no other ship could compare, you cannot imagine the complexity of it. There is nothing like fixed wing flight operations at sea, must be seen to be believed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I served on USS CONSTELLATION (CV by god 64) from OCT 91 to NOV 94, Engineering and Strike Operations. Earned my Officer of the Deck and Surface Warfare Officer Qualifications on her; Captain could sleep at night when I had the deck. That tour served as the foundation of my naval career and no other ship could compare, you cannot imagine the complexity of it. There is nothing like fixed wing flight operations at sea, must be seen to be believed.
View Quote

That is a fact.  I used to watch ops from the bridge and signal bridge for hours at a time, just hypnotized by it all.  Also have one launch and two arrested landings notched on my belt.  Better than any amusement park ride or car racing experience by far.  Have to give a nod to underway replenishments as well.  Pretty exciting stuff.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did the '99 deployment. Twas a good ship.

Is that a VAST station?
View Quote

I was a VAST tech on the Indy.  That's not a VAST station.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Man that carrier was a POS and the end of its service.  Same with the Lincoln and the Kennedy...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Gay ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lesbian ones.

Gay ones.

What a bunch of haters. Let's not forget the transexual ones too

I would happily take a big steamy shit on the deck of the USS Barak Hussein Obama.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Man that carrier was a POS and the end of its service.  Same with the Lincoln and the Kennedy...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
We've got more rusting that any other nation has active.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

CV62 - USS Independence (Forrestal class )

CV63 - USS Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk class )

CV64 - USS Constellation (Kitty Hawk class )

CV61 - USS Ranger (Forrestal class )

We've got more rusting that any other nation has active.

Because we actually use ours.  

Apparently Thailand has an aircraft carrier, but it only leaves port once every.....2 months or so on training runs.  Smallest in the world.  And the Admiral Kustenov is rarely used because it's a rusting pile of shit that the russians are afraid will break.  And the Chinese just refurbed its twin.

"use it or lose it" seems to apply, because if you don't use it you aren't developing your fixed wing ops, and not upgrading.

And if you do use it, you have several in mothballs
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were!  I did many a detachment on both the Connie and Lincoln, and a med cruise for OEF on the Kennedy.  I still respect the shit out of the ships and sailors though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They were!  I did many a detachment on both the Connie and Lincoln, and a med cruise for OEF on the Kennedy.  I still respect the shit out of the ships and sailors though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, your post read like the Lincoln was at the end of its service life
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lincoln a POS?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why don't we sell them to friendly nations? Has that not been allowed since the Falklands?
View Quote

None of our allies can afford to operate a Supercarrier because of their massive social welfare programs.

Oh, wait...

TC
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#43]

I did some insulation on her along time ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lincoln a POS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lincoln a POS?

My memory could be a bit biased.  

In my defense it was a 2 week det that I really didnt want to be on...

Im sure shes a fine ship.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Lincoln just came out of Newport News shipyard for its refueling/refit. The Abe ought to be better than new now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone know who will be towing it and what scrapyard its going to? The Forestal is supposed to be making its last trip soon as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#47]

"War Chief"

November November Uniform Lima
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The original Constellation was decommissioned and is in Baltimore's harbor. There will never be an new USS Constitution, because the original is still a fully commissioned warship. Unlike the Victory that is only thirty years her senior, she could sail across the Atlantic if they wanted her to.

I like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I misread the title and though you were talking about the USS Constitution

I like that.

That's the second Constellation that's in Baltimore's harbor, though they tried to lie about that for a while. The original was scrapped in the 1850's.

This is the third or 4th one, depending on if you count a never-completed Battlecruiser.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#49]
In the black and white pic going under the Brooklyn Bridge, what are the objects mounted under the forward corners of the flight deck and angled deck?

Are they glide path signals from back when carriers were required to be able to recover aircraft while steaming astern?  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

there's that money thing again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top