Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 1:44:01 PM EDT
from:news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060203/ap_on_fe_st/bottle_blast;_ylt=AuSDpKV5oAw.JlK80gZvc.us0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

Sailor Gets Angry Reply to Bottle Message

NAPEAGUE, N.Y. - A sailor who sent a message out to sea in a bottle says he received a reply from England — accusing him of littering. "I kind of felt like no good deed goes unpunished," Harvey Bennett, 55, told the East Hampton Star.

The plastic bottle was one of five that Bennett placed in the ocean off Long Island in August.

Last week, he excitedly opened a letter from England, and was stunned by the reply:

"I recently found your bottle while taking a scenic walk on the beach by Poole Harbour. While you may consider this some profound experiment on the path and speed" of "oceanic currents, I have another name for it, litter."

"You Americans don't seem to be happy unless you are mucking about somewhere," says the letter, signed by Henry Biggelsworth of Bournemouth, in Dorset County.

Bennett, who has a picture of the queen of England in his Amagansett tackle shop, says that Poole Harbor is just a short distance from Weymouth Harbor. That's where the Bennett family embarked for America in 1644.

The New York Post carried the report on Friday, giving attribution to the East Hampton Star.

Bennett did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press on Friday.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What a cheeky bugger.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What a cheeky bugger.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Those uptight Brit's.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]

"You Americans don't seem to be happy unless you are mucking about somewhere," says the letter, signed by Henry Biggelsworth of Bournemouth, in Dorset County.

No, we're not happy unless we're kicking somebody's ass. And it looks like you just volunteered, mr. biggelsworth
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, Vito (et al UK ARCOMers): fire mission!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]

I kind of felt like no good deed goes unpunished," Harvey Bennett, 55, told the East Hampton Star.

What was his good deed, throwing some plastic bottles into the ocean? I don't remember that one from boy scouts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The English can kiss my Irish ass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
How the FUCK can you actually retrieve a message in a bottle?  What are the chances that you will actually be able to locate a return message?  Do they make some kind of "smart bottle"?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Isn't Mr. Bigglesworth the name of Dr. Evil's hairless cat?

No wonder that guy is angry!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted: How the FUCK can you actually retrieve a message in a bottle?  What are the chances that you will actually be able to locate a return message?  Do they make some kind of "smart bottle"?
The guy must've put his return address in the message and the stuck up Brit wrote back. Mr. Biggelsworth?...

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How the FUCK can you actually retrieve a message in a bottle?  What are the chances that you will actually be able to locate a return message?  Do they make some kind of "smart bottle"?

The original bottle tosser includes contact information in their message.  Email, phone number, mailing address, etc.  Bottle finder contacts bottle tosser.

Hopefully you can both understand the language the message was written in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
What a wanker!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I kind of felt like no good deed goes unpunished," Harvey Bennett, 55, told the East Hampton Star.

What was his good deed, throwing some plastic bottles into the ocean? I don't remember that one from boy scouts.

No shit - how exactly is it a GOOD DEED ???  

It's not necessarily a bad deed, or anything to get pissed off over, like Dr. Evil's cat apparently did - but I agree that it's not a good deed by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a brit who is serving their DUI sentence on litter patrol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheeky douchebag chav wanker!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]

and i thought the british were the ones who caroused around the world setting up colonies, creating strife and performing other meddling acts.

he seems a bit full of himself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: and i thought the british were the ones who caroused around the world setting up colonies, creating strife and performing other meddling acts. he seems a bit full of himself.
Remember, it was the Brits who thought that putting Kurds, Shiites, and Sunnis together while drawing the borders of Iraq was a great idea.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't piccolo have this happen to him?

Is that pic referenced in the story?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Make sure the bottle is full of whiskey next time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I send out dozens of bottled messages.  The return address I list is:

Theodore John Kaczynski
04475-046
U.S. Penitentiary Max
P.O. Box 8500
Florence, CO 81226-8500

will you quit sending them to me mate...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like "empire envy" to me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
May be they forgot about all the dead American bodies that washed up on those same shores following the June 6th 1941 invasion of France.

Paul
That was a bit unecassary.
This is only the view of one misserable old codger.

I have death medals here from my relatives who gave their lives for my country.
Maybe "he" forgot....

But not all of us have.....we are the "they"

That was a cheap shot

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
May be they forgot about all the dead American bodies that washed up on those same shores following the June 6th 1941 invasion of France.

Paul
That was a bit unecassary.
This is only the view of one misserable old codger.

I have death medals here from my relatives who gave their lives for my country.
Maybe "he" forgot....

But not all of us have.....we are the "they"

That was a cheap shot

Taffy

It was 1944
The Brits never surrendered like France.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone finds the jackass' address, it could be fun to start a mailing campaign.   Thousands of plastic bottles sent from America with fun little messages inside.

ETA:  D-Day was June 6, 1944 for the idiotic comment above.  NOT 1941.  America entered the war at the END of 1941, after Pearl Harbor.  By the time America formally joined the war, Britain, Canada, and other Commonwealth countries had been engaged and fighting for war for over two years - and had already paid the price with thousands of dead and wounded.  Neither their sacrifice, nor those of Americans, should ever be disdained with petty comments like that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#29]

I'd send one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wait!!! So we invaded Europe before Pearl Harbor happened??? Damn, I knew the Jap attack was all just a big conspiracy!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top