Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/27/2002 5:15:23 PM EST
Just bought a Saiga in 7.62x39 cal. -- Noticed that my 30 rd AK mags fit and function in it. -- Question is, would I be breaking any Fed. laws by doing this ?? -- I've had the mags over 20 yrs but the rifle is a recent import. -- Note; no modification to mags or rifle is involved. -- Saw some AK adds that say they have a certain percent of US parts in them, Whats that about ?? Thanks for any help, ALLONS11
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:38:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:55:54 PM EST
No, you cannot legally use those magazines in that rifle. It is due to the rifle not having ANY US made parts and being imported after a certain date (I believe Bush Sr's 1989 executive order), and not the dates on the magazine. If you replace 5 parts with US parts, you can use the magazines (and have a pistol grip, if you want). Most replace the hammer, trigger, disconnector, buttstock and pistol grip on the AK. Since your rifle doesnt have the pistol grip, I believe you only need to replace four of the parts, but I would suggest changing five to be safe (change the gas piston instead of the pistol grip, if you dont want to add the pistol grip). If you add the pistol grip, you will definitely need to have a 5th US part. Kharn
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:24:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:28:14 PM EST
The Saiga's dont have a pistol grip, so dont worry about using hicap mags in them. Kharn I think you may be a bit confused.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:34:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:03:21 PM EST
Thanks for the info -- Thought I could use them but it is good to be sure.-- PS, TO; TheFNG, I can remember a time when I was called the (F)antastic (N)ew (G)UY Too!!--Good shooting, ALLONS11
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:50:47 PM EST
The issue with Hi-Caps in import guns relates to weather certain guns marked in 89 by Bush Sr's order can be IMPORTED. This is why we see 'No Hi-Cap' capable AKs and such, as these guns don't have enough US parts to be legal. If the makers (i.e. Century) add a certain number of US parts, the gun becomes technically 'US made', and thus not an import. This allows it to use hi-cap mags. So if it can use hi-cap mags, then you're fine. This is only an issue for manufacturers/importers, not for owners.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:26:37 AM EST
Now a Caliban Question. Is the Saiga rifle legal for import into CA? If not, why not? Tanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 1:11:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:17:09 AM EST
BKinzey -- the saiga rifles were listed on the updated RR89 AW ban (with other AKs and ARs), the saiga shotguns fall under the BS23 AW ban
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:44:46 AM EST
Having a Saiga myself, I can tell you from experience that the AK hicap mags will not feed into the Saiga without modification. As most have said here if you modify it, you would need to have the required US parts to make it legal. I modified mine to accept hi caps and pistol grip. So I changed all the firing mechanisn. Put US stock set. US Made muzzle brake. All mag floor plates and springs are US made from CDNN investment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:32:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By BKinzey: Now a Caliban Question. Is the Saiga rifle legal for import into CA? If not, why not? Tanks
View Quote
HAH I wish and you wish ... dont we all wish? Kaliban has banned all ak variants... remember... plus..thumbhole stock counts as a protruding pistol grip.. we can have only one evil feature... and that evil feature is the ability to have a detachable magazine.. nuts eh?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:57:38 PM EST
saigas dont have thumbholes, the veprs do though the saigas rifles are Not banned by features (BS23) the saiga shotguns are. saiga rifles are banned by Name (RR89) as an AK series gun
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:22:27 AM EST
Troy Good to meet you at the BRC Troy, I see the site now works at a higher speed, so I will be around more often. ALLONS11 If you did not modify your Saiga to accept hi caps and it does then you may do so, there is no Fed law that says you can not. If there was one then one of the legal eagles here would have pointed it out specifically.
Top Top