Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 1:02:29 PM EDT
Any good resources that show how far away is 'safe' from a nuclear plant in the event of some emergency,accident, or '24' type scenario?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
87 miles.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
87 miles.

Oh no, it's infected Wobblin-Goblin too!

I thought you were immune!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
87 miles.

LOL. In truth I have no friggen idea what "87" is all about.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
87 miles.

Dont worry about it then.......
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Each plant determines this based on accident type, wind direction (for plume tracking) and population density. Contact the specific plant and see if they have a public information packet with the info.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Kinda weird, considering I've been a poster here for seven years and have 24,000+ replies and I don't know what the hell "87" means.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sad bud but if you even ask this question you are too close.

What?

"What does '87' mean?"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda weird, considering I've been a poster here for seven years and have 24,000+ replies and I don't know what the hell "87" means.

Stop spending all your time in GD then.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well that's why I'm asking, because when I move I want to have an idea of the different safety zones.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

"What does '87' mean?"

He was talking about the topic.  Imagine that  

Upwind from a nuke plant is the place to be.  Always.  Look for which way the prevailing winds are (average) and think about being a grain of dust . . . how far do you think you could go with the winds at the normal speed.  Double that.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I know what 86 means
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

"What does '87' mean?"

He was talking about the topic.  Imagine that  

I know. Just busting his chops.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
All commercial reactor plants in the US are housed in a thick concrete-walled containment building which protects the reactor from aircraft crashes and contains fission products inside in the (highly, extremely unlikely) scenario of an accident.

A commercial reactor, no matter what you do to it, simply CANNOT create a nuclear blast like those at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

So unless you actually work at the facility (and even then its a long shot), you simply will NOT be affected by any incident which might occur.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So unless you actually work at the facility (and even then its a long shot), you simply will NOT be affected by any incident which might occur.

I don't think that's accurate...especially since the NRC has a policy to create 10 and 50 mile Emergency Preparadeness Zones around nuke plants:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/emerg-plan-prep-nuc-power-bg.html

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A commercial reactor, no matter what you do to it, simply CANNOT create a nuclear blast like those at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

This is 100% accurate.

Nor can any American plants that I'm aware of duplicate the Chernobyl accident--we don't have graphite rods and we encase our reactor cores in a very strong reinforced concrete containment structure.  

Worst case scenario, you let out a lot of steam and fission products into the atmosphere.  With currently functional plants and safety precautions, even this is almost impossible.

If that happened, you take your KI pills and hole up until evacuated.  (KI pills protect your thyroid from radioisotope uptake, which is the major concern with nuclear 'fallout'.)  Unless you're hiking into the ruins of the plant, you're really not going to be seriously contaminated.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that's accurate...especially since the NRC has a policy to create 10 and 50 mile Emergency Preparadeness Zones around nuke plants:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/emerg-plan-prep-nuc-power-bg.html

I can't think of a situation at a commercial plant which would release fission products into the "Emergency Preparedness Zones".  What could possibly degrade the containment to that level?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A handful more nuke reactors would go a long way in reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A handful more nuke reactors would go a long way in reducing our dependence on foreign oil.

Nuclear Energy Institute in Washington DC is running radio commercials supporting that position.  This isn't going to get the job done, but it shows how much public opinion has come around to supporting the idea.

It shouldn't be too long before we start building new plants.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
87 miles.

Quoted from Wikepdia-

In other fields

Eighty-seven is also:
a slang term for anilingus
It is NOT, contrary to popular belief, the number of people killed in the Waco Massacre on April 19, 1993. That number is actually 74.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Minimum of 3 miles upwind from the facility. If something happens to it such as an attack or explosion, 3 miles minimum to get away from the radiation.

Radiation can be carried by the wind, so also check which way the wind usually blows when moving near a nuclear facility.

I lived near one back before 9/11. Got worried after that and starting looking into it. Unless your at one when something happens, I wouldnt worry all that much.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#23]

a slang term for anilingus

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what it means either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top