Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2001 2:16:15 PM EDT
Any one know the cutoff? I want to use it for a fan.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes... Thanks. What is the lowest safe voltage I can drain it to before I should recharge.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez, I figured someone knew.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
From a chart in a Trace inverter owners manual, a 50% discharged battery will be 12.1 volts, at 77F, that has been at rest for 3 hours. You shouldn't drain it more than 50% or so on a regular basis if you want it to last. Since this voltage will vary with temperature and recent charge/discharge this may not be a good way to judge the condition. Better to use time, and discharge it less than 50% of its A-Hr capacity between chargings. The time you can run it is half the A-Hr capacity divided by the current draw of the fan. Be sure to use a special gel cell charger, since a regular charger will over charge a gel cell, and ruin it over time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help. I am surprised at the half way cutoff. That seriously compromises usage of the battery capacity. Oh well.

Again thanks for the help.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The cut off was a surprise to me too..

This is one disadvantage of using lead-acid batteries.  When we designed our (don't laugh at me !) Y2K backup power plan,
we had to double the capacity of our lead-acid battery bank at the last second to allow for this.  I ended up with over 16 of the large L16 batteries in my basement !  (we had planned on charging w/ diesel generator during the day and using battery power via inverter at night)

It is not wise to deep discharge these batteries and it
is pretty important to use a good charger (with conditioning capabilities) when charging.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top