Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
Ok, so I'm looking at this safe:

www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-44121:-44271:-44471:927813

The only realistic place I can put it is my garage, which I'm iffy about, since I consider garages to be insecure, and it's not climate controlled. However, I NEED a safe. So, anyone else have a safe in a garage? Any problems you've dealt with, suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine's in the garage.

Two issues, first, I don't like anyone to be able to tell there's a safe in my garage when the door is up.  Several options, cabinets over the safe, etc, mine's built into a closet, all you can see from the outside is..nothing.

Second, the thing you mentioned, no climate control.

I'm in Kali, so we don't get the cold/wet weather you're worried about.

I do know that you're far more likely to lose a weapon to theft than rust, especially if you take some steps.

Obviously, lube them up with a quality rust inhibitor.

I put all my weapons, even my mags, in silicone impregnated gunsocks.

Goldenrod makes a plug in dehumindifier, and I know guys use light bulbs to keep the temperature stable and the moisture down.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I considered the garage but my safe is smaller and I went with inside.

The first thing I do when I think about this is I imagine I stumble on the situation and I want the safe or what’s in it.
OK, if I find the safe I tie chains to my truck or use the winch and break the bolts.  Then I lay some 2X12’s like a ramp and shove the thing up into the bed and drive away.

I open it at my leisure elsewhere.

I didn’t like the sounds of that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got almost the same safe, except the bigger model

I keep mine in the garage.  Not super worried about it.  If someone can make enough noise to get into my attached garage, my door into the house from the inside of the garage isn't going to make much of a barrier to a good thief.  I actually think (in my case) it may be easier if I had the safe in the rec room as I've got a sliding glass door for the thief to get access easy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My safe is in the garage. We have an older house and the interior does not allow me room for a safe.

You can't see the safe from the street when the door is up and I plan on building a false cabinet around it as time allows.  

Our garage is not climate controlled and we are in the stinking hot deep south. I keep a 40 pint dehumidifier running 24/7 in all but the coldest months of the year and I've never had a problem with rust.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, good to see others do this.

Unfortuantely I can't bolt it to the cement. It's not my house. I'm living here for 6 more months or so then moving. (Navy)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Unfortuantely I can't bolt it to the cement. It's not my house. I'm living here for 6 more months or so then moving. (Navy)

Rent a hammer drill some masonry bits, and purchase some expandable anchor bolts.  When you move out, shove the bolts into the floor and patch with a little cement.  It really won't leave noticeable damage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rent a hammer drill some masonry bits, and purchase some expandable anchor bolts.  When you move out, shove the bolts into the floor and patch with a little cement.  It really won't leave noticeable damage.

Been there, done that, my old base house at Mugu is all set up for a safe in the garage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
In one of the previous similar threads here, a member described how he had camouflaged his safe as a transformer by painting it industrial grey and adding some "Danger -electrical shock hazard"  type stickers on it.
I thought that was cool.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Um, when I clicked on the link to the safe I noticed there was a picture of the inside of it. So I clicked on it to enlage it. My question is, who keeps wine and glasses in a gun safe? Sheesh, some people.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Um, when I clicked on the link to the safe I noticed there was a picture of the inside of it. So I clicked on it to enlage it. My question is, who keeps wine and glasses in a gun safe? Sheesh, some people.

Not me, but some wine and crystal is more expensive than you and I's AR-15s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top