Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 12:19:31 AM EDT
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/sw_mich/Turkey-buzzard-hits-kills-motorcyclist

Turkey buzzard hits, kills motorcyclist
Dillon Reed was 18

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 19 Jul 2010, 6:09 PM EDT

* By Marc Thompson

BLOOMINGDALE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - An 18-year-old motorcyclist died Monday afternoon when he was struck in the chest by a turkey buzzard.

Dillon Matthew Reed was driving a 2007 Kawasaki east on CR 380 near 39 1/2 Street around 12:45 p.m. when a turkey buzzard flew into him and caused him to lose control. The Bloomingdale man went off the road, hit some trees and died at the scene.

Pat Cantrell likely was one of the last to see Reed alive as she heard and saw his motorcycle whiz by her house.

"And I knew it was him as soon as I seen that little motorcycle, because I had seen him before on it," she said.

Cantrell knows Reed's family and said they were devastated to hear the news.

"It's going to be so bad on them," she told 24 Hour News 8. "They got out here and you should have heard them. They were all in the middle of the road and it was so sad. He was such a nice kid. They were a nice family."

Investigators said Reed was not speeding, alcohol was not a factor and he was wearing his helmet. "No negligent actions" on his part were a factor, the Van Buren County Sheriff's Department said in a release.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, really comical.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, really comical.

I didn't get anything comical out of that either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I got nailed by a ringnecked pheasant years ago.

It wasn't very comical
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I hit a duck going around 60mph, feathers all over in my helmet, knocked the wind out of me, nearly lost one hand from the bars, but kept control.  

I pulled over and spit out feathers for 5 minutes while catching my breath.

It wasn't fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one knock the mirror off my motorcycle once.  

Rounded a curve and there was a buzzard eating some road kill in the other lane.  As I approached it took off, only not fast enough.  I clipped it with my mirror and ended up with buzzard shit/puke all over my jacket sleeve.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I've clipped a bird before.... on a dark back road on the way home one night.

There was something in the road ahead, and as I approached, it leaped into the air... it was a huge fucking owl.  Well, that one got clear.  The one I didn't see that was off to the right of the road jumped up.  Fucker must have had a 4-5' wingspan... I ducked, but it's feet hit the top of my helmet.   I don't think it was hurt, and I did not lose control.

Yeah, I'm sad that a guy died.  I ride, and I understand the risks we all take.  I just saw a little humor in that it was a buzzard that took him out.   Maybe my Farkish sense of humor tonight sucks, but oh well, there you have it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing comical about that. Very unfortunate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah- I see no comical depth in this one..
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
it sucks that a guy died.

the irony is that a buzzard killed him. they usually don't kill anything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
i almost got taken out by a tom turkey
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]
He is from the family of one of my brother in laws.

Oddly, they aren't finding it humorous.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He is from the family of one of my brother in laws.

Oddly, they aren't finding it humorous.

The world. It is small.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
That's not remotely comical.
A friend of mine got hit in the chest with a canoe that came off the top of a truck going about 50 MPH while riding a bike.  He wrecked his bike and is lucky to be alive, spent months in the hospital getting his rib cage put back together and other injuries from the crash healed up.  We didn't think that was too funny either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#15]
It'd be much more funnier if it was someone the OP cared about.
It'd be like having a brick thrown at you while driving I imagine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think it's very comical.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe not 'LOL!' per se,  but at least 'Heh. Ain't that ironic. Sorta.'

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe not 'LOL!' per se,  but at least 'Heh. Ain't that ironic. Sorta.'

I should have phrased the title as such.  Didn't mean to come across as uncaring.  As mentioned, I ride myself, so it does touch a little close to home.  Non-riders can't really understand it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:30:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I got hit in the chest by a buzzard a couple years ago....wasn't pleasant. I was wearing a chest protector (riding dual sport), but it still hit me hard enough to yank my hands off the bars. I saved, but it was like getting hit with a brick at 70mph. Gross as fuck too, had guts and shit all over myself, about made me puke.

Then, not a month later my wife and I hit one on my Vstrom but luckily it hit my fairing and not my body...just brushed it.

What are the odds of that?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Not really funny.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Every time i think about getting a bike i read a horror story.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#23]
sh–– happens

some years ago an old farmer here was driving his pickup down the road and met a truck hauling hay bales––one fell off ,went thru windshield and crushed him
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Every time i think about getting a bike i read a horror story.

Don't start asking about women, you'll never put your dick in one.

(They're both worth the risk, btw).

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Non-riders can't really understand it.

Understand what?  Poor taste?

On another note, I've seen the aftermath of a low-winged Piper airplane hitting some kind of heavy flying bird.  He hit it right at the wing root, just missed his propeller.  It caved the leading edge in about 18 inches.  It happened at night.  That must have been scary.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Hitting a bird is no joke on a bike. Had one about take me off one day. That was the first time I realized turkey can fly. . . . thought it was a freakint teradactol coming at me!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Maybe not 'LOL!' per se, but at least 'Heh. Ain't that ironic. Sorta.'

Bits the idea of anti hunters pack that animals have no means of defending themselves
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Only thing I have been hit by are dove.
I cant imagine a vulture.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I imagine it looked a little something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA6XSrM0V_0
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Hitting a bird is no joke on a bike. Had one about take me off one day. That was the first time I realized turkey can fly. . . . thought it was a freakint teradactol coming at me!

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#31]

I figured that this would show up on Page 1.  ARFCOM never disappoints.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I was out riding the other day, and I was tearing down the road riding the speed-limit when I saw this red-tailed hawk lazily turning back and forth over the road at about chest level... so, I slowed down as I approached, figuring he'd see me... nope.  When I got within about 10' (going about 35mph), I revved the motor.  She (I assume it was a "she" for obvious reasons) turned to look over her left wing, and very nearly fell out of the sky from fright.  One of the weirdest experiences I've had with a bird... Sometimes, even birds don't pay attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top