Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2002 10:29:05 AM EDT
Ive been listening to the scanner this morning. It seems like 15% to 25% of the calls in the last couple hours have been related to people threatening suicide.

Keep these people in your prayers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I know. The last couple of suicidal subject calls I went to didn't turn out too well. The holiday season sure seems to "set off" a lot of folks. I keep waiting for my pager to go off...
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, this has been a tough year for most of us.  I had a crappy year too.  I'm broke, I broke up with my GF of many years but I still have my job.  I get to see and be with my parents for the holidays.  I haven't see them in few years.  My heart goes out to all the people who are down this holiday season.  Lets hope that we all will be better off next year.    
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think people need to realize what it means TO LIVE.

This can be done in many different ways. My way was to open my eyes to the rest of the world in general and see how they live.

We have it so easy over here. I think people need to slow down and lower their expectations alittle. Nothing wrong with that, I think that's the problem that alot of countries have with us.

We are so caught up in this 24/7 grind to make the dollar, it's killing us in every which and including literally.

I only work 30-35 hours a week now, but I don't feel "bad" or "lazy". I feel good actually.

I don't blame capitialism, I blame it on an implimantation of a system that makes it's citizen's become to reliant on it's Gov and state. It's all downhill from there people.

Good day.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Holiday's are traditionally hard on those who are already down. Personally, this has been the worst year of my life and this Christmas possibly the worst. I can understand why the suicide rate is so high this time of year and I pray for those poor folks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
No sympathy here.... Permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What we all know is sometimes not true. There is urban legend that proclaims suicides go up at Christmas. Suicide rates do not go up around the holidays, they decline. December usually is one of the months with the fewest suicides. Holiday's are easier on people because they tend to get more support even when away from home and family.

Monday does have more suicides than any other day of the week and today is Monday?

[img]http://www.yrla.net/suicide_stats.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger That.
View Quote

glad to see you guys care about people when there having a hard time.
mabey you should think of the people that havnt been able to find work and were fired from there job rite before x-mas and to top that they have had 3 family members killed by drunk drivers rite before x-mas.
no wounder why people think about sticking a 870 in there mouth around x-mas time
View Quote

Would I be hijacking the thread if I asked for others opinions on suicide?  Generally people react in one of the two ways mentioned above.  Just curious to see what the guys on here think.

I can delete and move to another thread if necessary.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger That.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger That.
View Quote

mabey you should think of the people that havnt been able to find work and were fired from there job rite before x-mas and to top that they have had 3 family members killed by drunk drivers rite before x-mas.
no wounder why people think about sticking a 870 in there mouth around x-mas time
View Quote

Did you even read the 9 words I wrote?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel great sadness for those who are forced to endure the pain of a loved one's suicide but I have no sympathy for those who choose to end their lives.  

My parents just went to visit my older brother because it's his birthday.   Although they tried to be strong there was no way to disguise the sorrow on their faces.  You see, my brother should have turned 34 today but he killed himself on Christmas day 1999.  He never could have imagined how much pain his suicide has caused his loved ones.  There are many ways to deal with problems but suicide should never be an option.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This time of year is very hard for many many people for differing reasons.

Some of us don't have family within many thousands of miles, aren't seeing a significant other, might have trouble at work, etc...

There are a reason many bars are open on Thanksgiving the major family holiday, I can't speak for xmas though. (yet)
View Quote

I have been in the Airport in Seattle going back and forth from the pimple of Hell (Okinawa).
Don't remember a time when it wasn't raining, that can't help things either.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bottom line Tattoo, I care about people who care about themselves.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting that the stats track that way.

I have always noticed (anecdotally at least) more suicide/attempt calls around major holidays, especially the winter ones. Family Disturbances shoot the roof right about now, but usually taper off by about 2000 hours on Christmas Eve.

I have worked suicides on Easter.

Mental health calls doubled around here in the months after 9-11.

We had a rush of disturbance calls and suicides/attempts following the bust; about six months after major layoffs at a local employer, when the unemployment benefits ran out.

For disturbances, the most violent and busy nights I have ever worked were Valentines Day.

If you get familar with this stuff, you can gain a measure of predictive ability and be proactive about this stuff, reinforcing your line officers and making sure that the right resources are available. Just my experience, at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top