Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:50:00 AM EDT
Ive had a customer here that has always brought in his firearms in these knit bags. They seem to do a great job of protecting it from minor bumps. So we at the shop, Wanting to help out our customers, Thought about using these on finished guns that were ready to return to the user. So I did a bit of investigation. WOW just WOW. This might be the ticket for you guys in the more humid areas!

Any of you guys currently using them? If so what are your thoughts.Link to Sack-Up's
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I live next to the ocean.

One summer I left my windows open for an extended period of time with my guns in the wide open. That nice salty breeze didn't mix too well with all the metal next to the window.

Took me a few weeks to clean the rust off of everything. Now I wipe everything down with a RIG (rust inhibiting grease) RAG and put it in a gun sock before storing. That wqas in 2004. I haven't had a single problem with rust since. They work amazingly!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]
minor bumps and dings are what add character to my guns!  i dont want mint condition safe queens
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using gun socks for years.  My handguns are in gun rugs and the long guns are in gun socks.  

For the weapons I use the most, I cut the gun sock in half and got two.  The wife sewed an open end on the one that had two open ends and makes two socks.  I place the sock over the upper and the stock is exposed.  

I've never had a problem with rust or corrosion.  Living in Florida, I guess that's a good thing.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
No one else??
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I use them for my pistols.  They take up a lot less room in the safe than gun rugs, and they let the gun breathe a little better too.  I just throw the guns in my range bag still sacked without worrying about them getting dinged up.  They are also handy for wiping down the gun's exterior after handling.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are much cheaper than I expected.  My guns live in a safe with large quantities of dessicant, but these would be great to slip over a gun before it goes into a case that's lined with open cell foam.  Especially if you expect it to be there a few days.

Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I use them to avoid dings, especially on my older historic guns.

Luckily I don't have to worry about rust much.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I slip my shotgun barrels in them and seal them in Drain and Sewer pipe with a dissicant can and a VCI tube. One end of the pipe is glued on with PVC glue. The other is taped on with AC duct tape for future access. They are stored in a locked chest in my garage. In 10 years I've never had a speck of rust. Use them on my pistols to prevent dings.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]

My gun safe is crowded . They work great to protect them from " dings and dents " .
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
they are pretty nice we have them with the shop name on printed  them for sale

i like um keeps stuff from bangin together in the safe
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them when I travel so if the guns should shift in the case, I dont have to worry about scratches or dings.  Some of my older guns that dont get alot of use are stored in gun socks and then in hard cases,
I've never had a problem with rust or corrosion.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
These are similar. Maybe a little stiffer.

www.borestores.com/
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've been using gun socks for years.

same here. all my firearms from my kt 380 to my m-14 are in sack ups. it's just an extra level of protection!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been using gun socks for years.

same here. all my firearms from my kt 380 to my m-14 are in sack ups. it's just an extra levek of protection!

Me too! I've always been cursed with safes that are always too small. I run a goldenrod dehumidifier in them too.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top