Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:50:29 PM EDT
I need to buy hinged cuffs. I like the S&W double lock being accessible from top and bottom but the Peerless are 10% bigger inside diameter. I don't carry a key so I double lock with a pen and have messed up my ball-points with the Peerless. Which has a better action? I am leaning tword the S&W.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You have cuffs and don't carry a key ?

I have both, no preference, no difference.  Either one is fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just have to know why you don't carry a key.

please explain.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I like S&W hinged personally.
I don't carry one key either, I carry 3.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
This has to be a joke.  

THere is no way in Hell he doesn't carry a key!!?

Choose the peerless by the way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
s&w
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Whichever you choose, be sure they are authorized.

Silicone lube is best.

Both will wear out over time.  I have several of each hanging in the garage, dead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Had S&W hinged issued to me in the academy, and I bought a set of Peerless hinged a few months ago to compare.  

Between the two, I like the peerless.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This has to be a joke.  

Not necessarily. We aren't suppose to carry keys on us inside for obvious reasons..incase we lose it.
If he's a street cop..he's got me baffled too.

Ok then, this could be.  Just wondering, how the hell do you unlock them?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of each. I go to the Peerless cuffs first. Both of mine have the side double lock.
The big issue with my smiths wasn't the diameter of the cuffs themselves but how close together the cuffs are. On some bigger guys it was pretty tough to cuff someone with the smiths but with the peerless it is no problem.

The only time I go to the smiths first is if I have to cuff someone with a light build or most females. The peerless cuffs don't restrict their movement as much as I'd like.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I am a CO.  You can have a key if you sign it in and out but generally a Sargent will have keys. We just don’t want keys floating around inside the jail.
By the way I ordered both the S&W and the Peerless.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This has to be a joke.  

Not necessarily. We aren't suppose to carry keys on us inside for obvious reasons..incase we lose it.
If he's a street cop..he's got me baffled too.

Ok then, this could be.  Just wondering, how the hell do you unlock them?

With a key I'm not suppose to have!
Any place we have cuff's..there is a key on a big friggen key chain!

Kinda like the key to the bathroom at a gas station tied to a cinder block?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]
WTF....your Tourette Syndrome acting up?

I have had two sets of Peerless (1 hinged, 1 chained) that wouldn't unlock.  I have since switched to all S&W.

Quoted:
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have yet to have any problems with my peerless cuffs.  In fact they seem to have a much smoother action, then the smith's :)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry Hiatt's brand handcuffs, they have the Peerless style doublelock feature and are thicker in the single bar area.  They are made in Great Britain.  They cost a bit more but I've carried them for 10 years now and they have yet to let me down.

http://www.h-tmfg.com/

They've been around since 1780 according to their website.

Bobafett126
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W's.  They're all I've used in seven years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Peerless all the way... but get the new models (with the larger headed rivets). There was an officer safety bullitin out a while back about being able to dissasemble the cuffs with the D ring of a peerless belly chain. The rivets fixed it. I think this applies to the S&W and Hiatts as well, but Peerless also has a no-questions-asked, lifetime of the cuff warrantee. I know this because I got a pair of broken cuffs (some joker had either broken out of them or put a lot of effort into breaking them) on ebay, sent them in and Peerless sent me a new pair (with the good rivets). I have some of each, and it seems that there are two distinctly different types of S&W cuffs. I have seen some that are as smooth as melted butter and some that appear to have been hand forged by an ogre on depacote (well, maybe not that bad). FWIW, MC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top