Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 4:55:03 AM EDT
S.C. Lt. Gov. Caught Speeding, No Tickets

By MEG KINNARD and SEANNA ADCOX
Associated Press Writers

COLUMBIA, S.C.

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer has been stopped at least twice in the past four months for speeding _ once for going 101 mph in a 70 mph zone on a wet highway _ but was let off without a ticket.

Video recordings of the stops and audio recordings of radio exchanges were obtained by The Associated Press through a Freedom of Information Act request.

On Feb. 25, Bauer was stopped on Interstate 77 for driving over 100 mph in his state-issued car.

Video taken by a camera mounted in the patrol car shows that when the trooper asked the driver for his name, Bauer identified himself as "SC Two" _ code for lieutenant governor. The trooper then says, "You have a good night, sir," and the video ends.

Bauer, 37, said Tuesday he did not realize how fast he was going.

"There's no excuse for me driving that fast," he told the AP. "I've got a lead foot, there's no question. I'm embarrassed if I was going that fast."

Bauer said he never asked for or expected preferential treatment. He said he identified himself as SC Two not for preferential treatment but rather to let officers know he who was so they would not be worried about approaching him.

On Dec. 26, another trooper gave Bauer a warning for going 77 or 78 mph in a 65 mph zone at the wheel of a BMW, Public Safety spokesman Sid Gaulden said.

Public Safety Director James Schweitzer refused to say whether either trooper would be disciplined. But he said the trooper involved in the 101-mph stop reported the incident to his superiors.

In 2003, an officer who stopped Bauer for driving 60 mph in a 35 mph zone drew his gun when the lieutenant governor got out of his car and approached the officer.

Bauer, a Republican, was elected in 2002 and is up for re-election this fall but has not yet filed as a candidate.

"I've gotten several tickets, so it's not like I've gotten special treatment," he said.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
78/65 is a cheap stop.

101/70 seems like it should be an automatic "click your bic" stop.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
They just need to give him a State Police driver and it wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They just need to give him a State Police driver and it wouldn't be a problem.

I thought he was a reserve LEO.........................

That came out after the "gun pulling" 60/35, when he didn't want to stop for the nice officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top