Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2002 9:57:39 PM EDT
At the risk of starting a flame war I really need help. I love the weapon and it is accurate as hell however it is magazine finicky. Read On please....Sorry to bother all of you but after weeks of searching the net I have yet to find the answer to my SW-5 feeding problem. With an original HK straight 30-rd magazine I have no problems with feeding. However on 5 out of 8 curved magazines I have the bolt usually hangs up on the magazine about every other round (I'm guessing). When I look in the chamber there is a round in it. I drop the magazine, let the bolt go forward, reinsert the magazine and it feeds/chambers fine for one or a few rounds and then the same thing. I recently (last week) replaced the recoil spring assembly, ejector spring, and extractor spring with HK MP-5 factory parts. I seem to recall a suggestion about welding extra metal to the back of the magazines in order to correct the feeding angle but I am not sure. Any help will be appreciated greatly since I am at wit's end. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Hahahahahahahaha

Sorry, maybe SteyrAug can give ya' some advise.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you ask over at the forum run by the manufacturer of your faulty weapon?

[url=hk-54.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=8f856e91291bdb441135242bc67a0838&forumid=8]Mr. Toad's Wild Ride[/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok first things first.

The curved mags, where did you get them?

Are they factory HK?

If the stick 30 HK mags are working the problem is obviously your curved mags.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
SteyrAUG, you are truly a statesman and a scholar.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
SteyrAUG, you are truly a statesman and a scholar.
View Quote

He's new. I'll flame his ass after his feet are a little more wet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:05:43 AM EDT
[#6]
To say the least I am dissapointed in these responses. I was hoping that with the wealth of knowledge here I would at least get a helpful hint or two in addition to the normal ribbing. FWIW this is not my first nor only weapon and it only acts up occasionally in the manner I have stated. I also own a Pre-Ban shorty 16-in flattop, postban 20-in AR, M1A, AK, Remington 1100, SIG P226 .40 Cal, Beretta 92FS (Italian),and a few others and have built a few AR's as a hobby. In addition I am both a civilian police officer and have been in the military for 13 years with 6 of those years as infantry with 2 yrs as a unit armorer and the rest as a skycop. So I am not exactly a babe in the woods when it comes to weapons.  So I ask once again for any real suggestions and of course I will again take the good with the bad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]
okro - heres some links that might help

[url]http://hk-54.com/forums/[/url]

[url]http://boards.hkpro.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi[/url]

And for what its worth, as previously asked - are they original HK curved mags? I know that a few places are selling HK contract mags which I thought were Korean manufacture. If I'm recalling correctly, I have heard of a couple feeding problems in both HK and SW 94 style weapons.

You also might want to check into the strength of those springs. I had a few FAL mags that were exhibiting the same sort of behavior until I replaced the springs. Have you tried the 15 round curved mags? If they feed correctly, it might not be the 'shape/design' of the curved mags, but perhaps the spring strength in those 30s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, here's your answer.  Don't use the curved mags.  Trade them for stick mags.  Simple.  Problem solved.  If you don't like our answers, take Jarhead's advice and go to the board of the manufacturer of the "weapon" in question.  See what kind of answers you get there.  LOL.

toast
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok first things first.

The curved mags, where did you get them?

Are they factory HK?

If the stick 30 HK mags are working the problem is obviously your curved mags.
View Quote

Answering these questions might help.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
SW has a rather sullied reputation because the owner, Toad, is an ass.  Most of his guns are out of spec SOMEWHERE.  Considerable ridicule is likely!

If the bolt hits the mag hard enough, it can drive a round to the chamber but fail to close.  Are there marks on the mag indicating contact?  If so, either file the mag a touch or cause it to lock in a little lower.  Two ways; file the catch or file where the catch catches the mag.  To find out if a lower mag lock-in will help, wrap tape on the mag such that it will NOT quite lock in and you can hold it in that position.  Fire weapon.  Still FTF?  If so, we start all over.  If not, modify the catch.  Just got to look and study.  More details from you will be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Didn't have time to answer the mag question earlier.

The stick mag is factory H&K dtd 10/67

The curved are from two places. They are not factory.

4 of them came from CTD. I have had some success with them on pistol mags but for some reason they have problems with rifle ones

4 of them are asian(?) contract. They look just like the other ones. No markings on them. I will double check the feed lips/mag catch area. Thanks in advance for those helpful hints.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To say the least I am dissapointed in these responses. I was hoping that with the wealth of knowledge here I would at least get a helpful hint or two in addition to the normal ribbing. FWIW this is not my first nor only weapon and it only acts up occasionally in the manner I have stated. I also own a Pre-Ban shorty 16-in flattop, postban 20-in AR, M1A, AK, Remington 1100, SIG P226 .40 Cal, Beretta 92FS (Italian),and a few others and have built a few AR's as a hobby. In addition I am both a civilian police officer and have been in the military for 13 years with 6 of those years as infantry with 2 yrs as a unit armorer and the rest as a skycop. So I am not exactly a babe in the woods when it comes to weapons.  So I ask once again for any real suggestions and of course I will again take the good with the bad.
View Quote

Hey NEW GUY! I am trying to help you. Ditch your prissy little attitude and answer the questions I asked so that I can help you fix your widget.

I was specifically trying to determine the origine of the curved mags.

Are they the Pakistani ones (stamped POF)Todd sold?

Are they aftermarket 40 rounders (chrome followers)?

Are they Asian contact 40 rounders (black followers)?

There are TONS of potential problems with this gun, but you start with the mags.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

As the others have already said...this is probably to answer to your problem.

Try getting a factory H&K curved mag and see if the problem persists. If so then the problem is your gun and you should contact the manufacturer, though Todd is notorious for not fixing his mistakes and usually blaming the problem on someone else.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#14]
They are 40-rounders, however I only load to 30 in each (old habit).

The followers on all of them are black.

No markings on the mag bodies I have found.

The curved mags are loose in the well. But not too much compared to my factory stick mag.

No attitude was intended. Just wish out of options/ideas and it shoots too well to get rid of otherwise.

However I do have a bunch of 20 round AR mags (most marked Colt) and a ton of 30-rd (also alot of the by Colt) I would love to trade for some factory curved mags if anybody in interested. None of these mags are marked military/LEO. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

4 of them came from CTD. I have had some success with them on pistol mags but for some reason they have problems with rifle ones

4 of them are asian(?) contract. They look just like the other ones. No markings on them. I will double check the feed lips/mag catch area. Thanks in advance for those helpful hints.
View Quote

Here is the deal on the asian 40s, the srpings are fricking strong.

On a REAL HK this is not a big problem.

If you compare a HK bolt to a SW bolt you would nitice the HK bolt assembly is much heavier being made from a higher grade of steel. The weight of a REAL HK bolt combined with the heavier recoil spring can manage to feed off of the asian mags.

The SW bolt being lighter, and with a weaker recoil spring will not. This is why it is literally not strong enough to strip off the next round out of the mag. Putting in a genuine German recoil spring will not solve your problem either as the SW bolt is not heavy enough to cycle against it.

Despite claims, SW is not spec and parts will not interchange with HK parts and still work.

As for solutions you can try and break them in, keep them fully loaded to weaken the springs over time and just use them as 30s at the range.

I also know a guy who shortened the srpings to make them a little weaker so the lighter SW bolt will be strong enough to strip the next round off.

You're Welcome.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are 40-rounders, however I only load to 30 in each (old habit).

The followers on all of them are black.

No markings on the mag bodies I have found.
View Quote

Asian contracts.

Quoted:
The curved mags are loose in the well. But not too much compared to my factory stick mag.
View Quote

The well on SW guns are out of spec. Curved mags with a off center of balance demonstrate it more dramatically.

Quoted:
No attitude was intended. Just wish out of options/ideas and it shoots too well to get rid of otherwise.
View Quote

Your lucky his first guns were a real headache.

Quoted:
However I do have a bunch of 20 round AR mags (most marked Colt) and a ton of 30-rd (also alot of the by Colt) I would love to trade for some factory curved mags if anybody in interested. None of these mags are marked military/LEO. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

You will find factory German 30 rounders go for about $125.00-150.00 each.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I knoew in advance about problem with the SW and I bought this from an individual not the company. I just spent 5 months in Oman and this is one of the few web sited that I used to spend time on over there. I knew that SW was out of spec compared to real HK. Just didn't know how much especially about the bolt material reference SteyrAug. Guess I need to go load up some mags.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I knoew in advance about problem with the SW and I bought this from an individual not the company.  I knew that SW was out of spec compared to real HK. Just didn't know how much especially about the bolt material reference SteyrAug. Guess I need to go load up some mags.
View Quote

Eek! You knew all this AND you still bought it? Do you have any other sado-masochistic tendencies for us to laugh at?

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Not S&M at all..however I did marry my ex again (which ended in another divorce but that's for another time). Like I stated it is really a nice gun except for the occasional curved mag problems. It has not been a headache and it is dead on in the accuracy department. Just some quirks to work out. Not defending Todd at all. From what I have seen and heard he deserves it. I feel like I am one of the lucky ones with this rifle. Just like everything else when it comes to guns you just want it to function correctly. Just like to tinker with guns I guess..maybe that's why I applied for an FFL..lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
In the future if you want adult treatment and respect as well as help with your problems try logging on to [url]www.HKPRO.com[/url]
They tend to be a bit more helpful and asinine behavior is typically not tolerated there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the future if you want adult treatment and respect as well as help with your problems try logging on to [url]www.HKPRO.com[/url]
They tend to be a bit more helpful and asinine behavior is typically not tolerated there.
View Quote

Yeah, because I didn't help this guy at all...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To say the least I am dissapointed in these responses. I was hoping that with the wealth of knowledge here I would at least get a helpful hint or two in addition to the normal ribbing.
View Quote

Apparently so Mr. Sensitive. Ok, you did try to help. Some others, ehhhh, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To say the least I am dissapointed in these responses. I was hoping that with the wealth of knowledge here I would at least get a helpful hint or two in addition to the normal ribbing.
View Quote

Apparently so Mr. Sensitive. Ok, you did try to help. Some others, ehhhh, not so much.
View Quote

And did you ever wonder why people with SW problems encounter this reaction EVERYWHERE they go?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]
On the asian contract mags....
The followers look like leftover Toyota hubcaps! Here is what I did to mine...

In the rear side bottom, reshape inward, and remove 1/16" tang at the bottom.

On the same side, (front away) polish the entire left side (that you see thru the witness holes)

On other contact points(where blue is worn) polish to a mirror finish.

Finally before loading into weapon, slap and seat the bullets to the rear of the mag(yup just like an AR)

Via this way mine function like silk in my SW...

GOOD LUCK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top