BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 8:01:13 PM EDT
www.ksat.com/news/7013679/detail.html?subid=22100443&qs=1;bp=t

AT Team Becomes Victim Of Crime
Weapons Stolen From Car Parked In Hotel Parking Lot

POSTED: 1:16 pm CST February 13, 2006
UPDATED: 1:24 pm CST February 13, 2006

SAN ANTONIO -- Some weapons, a police badge and laptop comptuers were stolen Monday morning from a rental car that belonged to an out-of-town SWAT team in town for training.

San Antonio police spokesman Gabe Treviño said that an officer with the Virginia Beach, Va., SWAT team had just placed the items in the car and had gone to his hotel room to get some more items when someone broke a rear window of the vehicle and took the items.

Treviño said the incident happened in a matter of seconds.

"Notoriously, these car burglars work very quickly," Treviño said. "They can go up to a car, break a window, get in, take items and be gone in a matter of 20-30 seconds, at the longest."

No arrests have been made but San Antonio police are actively looking for the weapons, Treviño said.

The officer was getting ready to leave the hotel for a training session with the San Antonio Police Department SWAT team when the burglary occurred at 7 a.m. in the parking lot of the Residence Inn at Loop 410 and Broadway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
To bad so sad
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Some thug(s) out there has SWAT guns, police badge, and possibly police records and info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to have any records or info really, he was in town for training. Also, it's not a robbery but a burglary.

Wonder which motel he was at?  This sort of thing is common as heck here and in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
better make those weapons illegal so they can't be used in a crime
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My firearms are the last to go into my car, and the first to get off.  When I go shooting and we stop at some place to eat, I always parks so that I can see my car.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
It seems to me that they were burglarized, not robbed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
They shouldn't have left valuables in the car, parked in a better lit area, locked the doors, put the car in a garage, or watch the car better. lol
All things I was told after my radio was stolen out of my car..lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of guns?

He get away with anything good? M16, MP5, silencer?

....what?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Here in Phoenix a detective had his unmarked car stolen while he was eating lunch.  I don't know if it's been recovered yet.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My firearms are the last to go into my car, and the first to get off.  When I go shooting and we stop at some place to eat, I always parks so that I can see my car.

+1, someone needs to tell that to the folks here
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
SAN ANTONIO -- Some weapons, a police badge and laptop comptuers were stolen Monday morning from a rental car that belonged to an out-of-town SWAT team in town for training.

San Antonio police spokesman Gabe Treviño said that an officer with the Virginia Beach, Va., SWAT team had just placed the items in the car and had gone to his hotel room to get some more items when someone broke a rear window of the vehicle and took the items.

I probably know the officer who got robbed here.....

The officer was getting ready to leave the hotel for a training session with the San Antonio Police Department SWAT team when the burglary occurred at 7 a.m. in the parking lot of the Residence Inn at Loop 410 and Broadway.

Hotels are a big target for baddies.

What would be interesting to know is whether or not the bad guy knew that he was stealing from a cop. Odds are he was going for the laptop rather than the weapons....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What kind of guns?

He get away with anything good? M16, MP5, silencer?

....what?

VBPD SWAT uses AR carbines mostly these days....But they do have MP5s and other weapons in inventory.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny, when this professional had his firearms stolen it is reported as "some weapons".

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I must take this opportunity to point out that...

I am extremely pleased with the efforts of law enforcement,
towards keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals.

Now if all you unprofessional civilians would just surrender your firearms to be crushed,
we could all live in safety!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#16]
That sucks, the same thing could of happened to me in the past. I hope they recover the weapons quickly (John are you on it?).

Tag for a good outcome.

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It seems to me that they were burglarized, not robbed.

+1.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Word.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Word.

This crime shows a definite lack of respect for law enforcement.  I would love to have heard him tell his supervisor.  Guess what happened to me on the way to training today................You did what.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#20]
SWAT shouldn't use guns.  They're just going to be stolen and used against them.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That sucks, the same thing could of happened to me in the past. I hope they recover the weapons quickly (John are you on it?).

No, I have just had the chance to train with some of the VBPD guys before.

Pretty good guys overall.

And they can hold their booze pretty well.....

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well I must take this opportunity to point out that...

I am extremely pleased with the efforts of law enforcement,
towards keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals.

Now if all you unprofessional civilians would just surrender your firearms to be crushed,
we could all live in safety!

I wonder how many non-LEO's had weapons stolen in San Antonio that day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This crime shows a definite lack of respect for law enforcement.  I would love to have heard him tell his supervisor.  Guess what happened to me on the way to training today................You did what.

The officer won't get into any trouble over this.

Notice that the rear window of the vehicle was busted out. Which means that the officer LOCKED the car door.

He took every reasonable precaution that he could. SWAT guys just have to cart around tons of gear, and one man can only carry so much stuff at once. VBPD gives each of its SWAT guys their own cruiser, and even then the suspension is sagging and groaning from all the gear they have to pack into it. (Body armor, weapons, ammunition, gas masks, breaching weapons, halligan tool, door slammer, ballistic shield, kevlar helmet, flashbangs, commo equipment, binoculars, gigantic bottles of OC spray, flexicuffs, and a partridge in a pear tree....)

Imagine trying to cram even half of that in some econobox piece of crap that you have to rent because departmental policies limit the type of cars that can be rented while on training outings....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, someone needs to tell that to the folks here

Some people just learn the hardway.  I know of a shooter after a night session local range, left his gear in his car that night, and in the morning it was gone, real bad move.  There was also once a retired PD chief and gunwrite in Calif Al Pickles who packed his car that night for the gunshow the next day, his car was stolen early morning.  A word to the wise, "firearms are the last to go into my car, and the first to get off."
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wonder how many non-LEO's had weapons stolen in San Antonio that day.

Look, fellas....

Being a SWAT cop doesn't make you superman. The officer does not appear to have done anything wrong here. He just appears to have been the victim of a determined and smart crook, just like any of us can be.

I doubt that this officer was singled out because he was a cop. Most likely the crook was after the laptop and took the weapons in the back seat not knowing what they were. He most likely got one hell of a shock when he went through what he stole and found a weapon(s).

The story doesn't say what was stolen so the crook might not even know that he stole from a cop unless the laptop was departmental issue and had "Property of Virginia Beach Police Department" on it....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Some people just learn the hardway.  I know of a shooter after a night session local range, left his gear in his car that night, and in the morning it was gone, real bad move.  There was also once a retired PD chief and gunwrite in Calif Al Pickles who packed his car that night for the gunshow the next day, his car was stolen early morning.  A word to the wise, "firearms are the last to go into my car, and the first to get off."

That's how I do things.

I will leave ammo and magazines in the trunk, but never my weapons. If I go into a hotel room, they come with me.

One of the advantages to training at Blackwater and staying in the bunkhouse there is that you don't have to worry about crooks stealing your stuff. Nobody steals at Blackwater.

But after a long day of training and some adult beverages certain members of your class might just hide some of your equipment, or use it as props in very inappropriate photographs that they will e-mail to you later........
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The officer won't get into any trouble over this.

Notice that the rear window of the vehicle was busted out. Which means that the officer LOCKED the car door.

He took every reasonable precaution that he could. SWAT guys just have to cart around tons of gear, and one man can only carry so much stuff at once. VBPD gives each of its SWAT guys their own cruiser, and even then the suspension is sagging and groaning from all the gear they have to pack into it. (Body armor, weapons, ammunition, gas masks, breaching weapons, halligan tool, door slammer, ballistic shield, kevlar helmet, flashbangs, commo equipment, binoculars, gigantic bottles of OC spray, flexicuffs, and a partridge in a pear tree....)

Imagine trying to cram even half of that in some econobox piece of crap that you have to rent because departmental policies limit the type of cars that can be rented while on training outings....

I understand what you are saying however there is a difference between equipment and weapons theft.  The weapons should have not been in the vehicle untill his ass was there to stay.  This policy is something I abide by.  I may put my shooting gear in the vehicle first but the weapons go in with me.  The only exception is in a locked garage.  Even then I am not far behind.  He deserves a couple days admin leave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top