Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2001 7:12:34 PM EDT
Im fairly new to computer games. has anybody here played this game? is it realistic at all? how is it compared to Rogue spear (which i have played and love)? would like to know how the AI is and if the weapons are accurate. unlike Half-life, wich is a good game, but their M4 holds 50rds and uses 9mm bullets while appearing as a .223.

i tried the demo of Operation flashpoint and was not impressed. it ran at only 20fps. maybe my computer sucks, but it does run Red Faction and the HD pack on Half-life:blue shift. they both run smooth as silk in high resolution mode. perhaps i need a specific graphics card.

i really hope that Hidden $ Dangerous 2 for the PC runs well on my puter. i played the hell out of this game on the Dreamcast i used to own.

im actually tired of the run and gun type games. Rainbow6 and company are more appealing because team work and strategy is involved. a thinking mans action game.

game playing lib
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Op Flashpoint is pretty darn cool, and brings in a lot of elements (combined arms tactics, realistic sighting systems), but it comes at the cost of HEFTY system requirements.  My gigahertz PIII with Geforce II plays it fine most of the time, but I've downloaded big missions that can make my machine choke.

Have you checked out Ghost Recon?  By those same folks who brought you Rogue Spear, but with MUCH larger maps and more dynamic squad control.  Sniper rifles are actually justified by the sizes of the maps, heart-beat sensors are gone (replaced by a threat indicator, shows the general direction of enemies, but not their distance), third person is gone, and fully auto fire is MUCH smoother.  The SAW in Urban Ops was a lag machine, but in Ghost Recon it goes super smooth (at least in the demo, in single player).  I may have to get it (if I'm willing to spend any more money after buying the darn LEGP 1911).  I'd definitely at least download the demo:
[url]http://www.ghostrecon.com/demo.php[/url]

Good Hunting!

Viper Out
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got it, and I think it stinks.  And of the Red Storm Rainbow 6 games are better.  If you change the weapons for one person on the team, you change it for everyone.  In Rainbow Six, you can outfit everyone differently, as well as have snipers.  The controls are better as well.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Op Flashpoint is pretty darn cool, and brings in a lot of elements (combined arms tactics, realistic sighting systems), but it comes at the cost of HEFTY system requirements.  My gigahertz PIII with Geforce II plays it fine most of the time, but I've downloaded big missions that can make my machine choke.

Have you checked out Ghost Recon?  By those same folks who brought you Rogue Spear, but with MUCH larger maps and more dynamic squad control.  Sniper rifles are actually justified by the sizes of the maps, heart-beat sensors are gone (replaced by a threat indicator, shows the general direction of enemies, but not their distance), third person is gone, and fully auto fire is MUCH smoother.  The SAW in Urban Ops was a lag machine, but in Ghost Recon it goes super smooth (at least in the demo, in single player).  I may have to get it (if I'm willing to spend any more money after buying the darn LEGP 1911).  I'd definitely at least download the demo:
[url]http://www.ghostrecon.com/demo.php[/url]

Good Hunting!

Viper Out
View Quote

Ghost Recon looks sweet!! my computer should be able to run it, but how well is left to be seen. My computer exceeded the requirements for Alien vs Predator 2 (demo), but ran somewhat ackward and jerky. as oppossed to Red Faction(demo) which has as much detail and actually larger level areas.

the site in your above link does not provide complete information just yet, will it be possible to use APC and other vehicles as in Operation "Slowpoint"?

one thing i did like about Operation flashpoint was the difficulty in identifying enemy targets. yeah sure a target "box" appear around them, but does not indicate freind or foe (or at leat not as far as i could tell).

i walked up on a russion soldeir and happened to look down and notice he was shooting an AK-74 at one of my fellow compatriots. this scared the piss out of me and made me really wish that the game ran faster so i could enjoy more moments of confusion as this. (which i would bet money on is more realistic); by the way my character took the AK-74 [:D]

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got it, and I think it stinks.  And of the Red Storm Rainbow 6 games are better.  If you change the weapons for one person on the team, you change it for everyone.  In Rainbow Six, you can outfit everyone differently, as well as have snipers.  The controls are better as well.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

Personally, I enjoy SWAT 3.  But then again I prefer games that don't involve as much strategy as the Rainbow Six games.  Also, and it's been a while since I played SWAT 3, but I believe you can assign different weapons to all the members of your team.  I believe there's two buttons, one that says something like "assign" and one that says "assign to all."  If you hit "assign to all" all of the team members will be assigned that weapon.  There have been several times when I have carried a weapon that was different than my teammates (I'm usually partial to the M4.  Imagine that).  Also, the Sierra website had a bunch of new weapons, characters, and missions that could be downloaded.  Don't know if they still do or not.

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
SWAT 3D is a pretty good game,....yes, you can assign different weapons to each member, along with different uniforms, secondary weapons,ect ect. AND,....there are ALOT of mods you can download for the game to add a WHOLE SHITLOAD of new weapons, enemies, uniforms scenarios ect.

As far as Operstion Flashpoint,....All I can say is "WHOLLY CRAP! DOES THIS GAME ROCK" there are a buttload of mods to download for it also, I have spent most of my time creating new missions, and scenarios. once you get the hang of the mission editor you can do all sorts of stuff. : squads parachuting or fast roping out of helicopters, beach landings with the patrol boats, Russian and U.S. forces on the same side fighting against the Resistance, armed civillians, TOO MUCH TO LIST.

The Rainbow Six games are awesome too, and there are alot of mods for them as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top