Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2013 6:07:26 AM EDT
I was out cutting some wood the other day. The saw was running fine. I go to start it back up after taking a break and it would not start. The piston is still in tacked and there is still spark. When I go to pull the cord it feels like compression is not being released. It is very hard to pull the cord. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read the 290 is plagued with all sorts of issues, including a starting problem.  Since there's no compression relief valve, is it easier to pull with the plug out?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad clutch?  Is the chain turning when you pull the cord?

Flooded?  Take out the spark plug.  Does it smell like gas?  Is there gas in the cylinder?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I found with my Stihl blower that it has a spark arrester on the muffler, they tend to get gummed up from the mixed fuel is what I was told by a Stihl dealer.  The problem I was having is I would use the blower at a few houses and as the day went on it would get harder and harder to start, I removed the spark arrester from the muffler and no more problems.  YMMV  
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My 290 runs like a fine watch.  Did you use ethanol gas in it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I found with my Stihl blower that it has a spark arrester on the muffler, they tend to get gummed up from the mixed fuel is what I was told by a Stihl dealer.  The problem I was having is I would use the blower at a few houses and as the day went on it would get harder and harder to start, I removed the spark arrester from the muffler and no more problems.  YMMV  

it's running rich.  turn the HS (high speed) screw down just a bit.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was out cutting some wood the other day. The saw was running fine.

ARFCOM of chainsaws:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/

how old is this 290?
what 2 stroke oil are you using?
what ratio do you mix it at?
have you played with the carb settings previously?
before the saw stopped, was it cutting with good power?

Quoted:
I go to start it back up after taking a break and it would not start. The piston is still in tacked and there is still spark. When I go to pull the cord it feels like compression is not being released. It is very hard to pull the cord. Any ideas?

you have to do some detective work on your workbench.  

first, ensure that the chain brake is not binding due to debris or other.  so take the two big nuts off the drive sprocket cover, loosen the chain tensioner and then remove the bar and chain from the powerhead.  now attempt to spin the drive sprocket.  it should spin freely.  result?  

second, make sure that the problem is not just with the recoil starter itself -- in other words, is there a stick or some such in the mechanism?  or perhaps the cord has wound itself in an irregular way and is now binding.

third, take the muffler off.  grab a flashlight.  pull the starter cord and rotate the crank a bit until the side of the piston is seen through the exhaust port in the cylinder head.  is it nice, smooth, and with uniform color?  or does it look scored with vertical black/silver lines?  now again rotate the crank a bit until the piston drops below the exhaust port.  see if you can get a view across at the far side cylinder wall.  again, smooth and uniformly shiny, or scored?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently had one of my saws that had the "fuel pick up line" seperate and FALL INTO THE TANK.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]

well?

ar-jedi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top