Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
Anybody watch this new show, SS Doomtrooper?

eta - After watching the show, I gotta say it was pretty bad. I kinda' figured it would be a WWII/Hulk hybrid but the so-called super soldier was a piss-poor special effect (or would that be an 'UN' special effect? lol).

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Watching it right now...
Think it's ending as I type...
Yup.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, this set the bar for bad Sci-Fi orignial movies.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Worse than Manticore?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worse than Manticore?

its bad...and not really in a good way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  Worse than Manticore.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes.  Worse than Manticore.

Wow.  That is bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, Dog Soldiers is on now. Good movie.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Bad bad bad
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Sci Fi channel needs to take thier writers for their "original Saturday Night" shows out and castrate them with a dull butterknife. Then kill them. Simply awful scripts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sci Fi channel needs to take thier writers for their "original Saturday Night" shows out and castrate them with a dull butterknife. Then kill them. Simply awful scripts.

Every single movie is the same

Group of solider goes into the woods and encouters some aweful creature, Super SS, Werwolves, I think there was even one with pterodactyls. Then they begin to get systematically kill off the soliders until one solider is left, they might keep around a love interest. Then the remaining solider defeats the beast and you feel like you just wasted 3 hours of your life.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, that sucked.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to mention all the guns look like they were made in a special-ed grade school classroom.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
How did french resistance get ppsh's
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Feel bad for the former SG1 actor, Jonas Quinn.  This is a new low.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
that movie "like almost every sci fi movie" was a waste,

now there miniseries are great :)

arabian nights looks good though!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't realise the US issued mausers
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I did not know that the Germans used a time machine to steal a SA-7 (?), an anti-air weapon, and then used it as a anti-tank weapon....
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Worse than "Mansquito"?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey, Dog Soldiers is on now. Good movie.

+1
Genuinly decent flick, except for the CETME the Brits are using.
Never figured that out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's the one that is like "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", right?

Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the promo for it.  
Ended up watching a bit of it.  Too much of it, really.......

+1 on WTF was the French chick doing with a PPSh41?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm watching it now

Add all of the following together

Castle Wolfenstein
Hellboy
Force 10 from Navaronne
Dirty Dozen

As well as every other sterotype from every war movie ever.
And you have SS Doomtrooper.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the warning.  I Tivoed it, now I can clear up some space without bothering to watch it first.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not to mention all the guns look like they were made in a special-ed grade school classroom.

hahah I saw "Raptor Island" www.scifi.com/raptorisland/ staring Lorenzo Lamas.  His NODS appear to be fashioned from those saftey goggles you wore in chemistry class spray painted black with a disposable camera glued to the from.  They also were supposedly a US Special Forces/ SEAL team and they were carrying AK's mocked up to look like AR's.  They slapped a home made carry AR carry handle on top of the AK, painted it black and called it good.  lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worse than Manticore?

Worse than Raptor Island? (and its wacky AKs with AR carry handles and M203s)

Sci Fi channel used to be ok, but theyve completely run out of original ideas.

Doctor Who?  Battlestar Galactica?   I remember watching that crap 20 years ago.  The only thing the new ones have over the originals is slightly better effects.

Stargate Atlantis?  great -a spinoff of a spinoff of a movie that wasnt that great to begin with..

but their original programming is downright fantastic compared to thier halfassed craptastic movies..

EDIT--- dammit!   got beat by another Raptor island comment by mere minutes.   Oh well at least that proves Im not the only one who contemplated suicide after wasting 2 hours watching that crap, am i?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Their Saturday night movies suck, but their miniseries are top notch.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worse than Manticore?

Doctor Who?  Battlestar Galactica?   I remember watching that crap 20 years ago.  The only thing the new ones have over the originals is slightly better effects.

Stargate Atlantis?  great -a spinoff of a spinoff of a movie that wasnt that great to begin with..

but their original programming is downright fantastic compared to thier halfassed craptastic movies..

EDIT--- dammit!   got beat by another Raptor island comment by mere minutes.   Oh well at least that proves Im not the only one who contemplated suicide after wasting 2 hours watching that crap, am i?

Battlestar Galactica is one of the best series on TV, according to many, many people.  It is not the old Battlestar Galactica with new effects, it has some of the best writing of any TV series, Science Fiction or not.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We did... it was called the 1903 Springfield
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worse than Manticore?

Battlestar Galactica is one of the best series on TV, according to many, many people.  It is not the old Battlestar Galactica with new effects, it has some of the best writing of any TV series, Science Fiction or not.

Yes the new battlestar galactica is better than the original.  and it may well be one of the best shows on tv right now.  But thats not really saying much, is it?

with all the old crap they keep ressurecting, how long will it be before we see new versions of buck rogers or the planet of the apes tv show?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and the M1917 Enfield
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Feel bad for the former SG1 actor, Jonas Quinn.  This is a new low.  

I like how one of the guys was named "Parker Lewis"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahah I saw "Raptor Island" www.scifi.com/raptorisland/ staring Lorenzo Lamas.  His NODS appear to be fashioned from those saftey goggles you wore in chemistry class spray painted black with a disposable camera glued to the from.  They also were supposedly a US Special Forces/ SEAL team and they were carrying AK's mocked up to look like AR's.  They slapped a home made carry AR carry handle on top of the AK, painted it black and called it good.  lol

I think it was manticore where it looks like they built fake AR bodies around 10/22s and didn't even bother to make the mags look like they were for the AR. They used the same "sniper rifle" in both it had a very strange angle from the top of the reciever down the butt stock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I happened upon this movie while channel surfing (using the comcast bottom-of-the-screen toolbar thingy), and decided to check it out because the name of the film ("SS Doomtrooper"?) looked so stupid I just had to look and see. I must say, the level of stupidity that I found exceeded my expectations. I honestly think that the in-game models for the Nazi monster things from "Return to Castle Wolfenstien" were about on par with the Toy Story-esque CG animations in this film.

Can anyone please explain to me why there was a German-painted T-34 tank being used in France (and why they were using PPShs)? I only watched about 10 minutes of this piece of work, so maybe I missed something...

I can't believe how pointless that entire channel is. Who watches this crap? Ever since they stopped showing the original Star Trek and Mystery Science Theater 3000, there is no point in it's existence. Heck, they should start a whole to "Mystery Science Theater 4000" to poke fun at the new B movies they're making now....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and the M1917 Enfield

Ok, ok, I didn't realise the US issued K98's (Yugo M48's)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Wouldn't hurt re-run some of the old series like "Space 1999" & "Logan's Run", & maybe some Japanese anime (like they used to do), but that'd probably put a lot of B-grade script writers & actors in the soup lines.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Didnt watch it and I'm glad I didnt.  I did watch some movie last night about Vamps VS Werewolves.  It wasnt half bad and that chick vamp was kinda hot  in her black skin tight outfit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
How did french resistance get ppsh's

That german T-34 was pretty sweet too.  Still in the original painjob.
At least they threw a mg34 on top and covered up the big farking red star

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Based on the architecture of the buildings, I think this was filmed on location somewhere in Eastern Europe, hence all the Soviet / Warsaw Pact stuff (like the PPsH, SA-7 and T-34).

The accents were horrid.  The costuming sucked.  The only decent CGI was the aircraft.  Hint: C-47s don't have windows like an airliner...  The plot was worse than stupid.

Maybe SciFi is going to bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000 and needs new horrid "B" movies for it?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey! SF buys from tapco too!!

Nah.  Cant be- Tapco's gimmick is to throw a T6 tele-stock on every rifle ever made.   Fortunatly Ive yet to see one of those abominations on the sci fi channel..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I admit I watched a little of it, but at least I fell asleep before it could dumb me down.

I noticed the PPSH, too.

There was one frenchie resistance member who kept shooting his mouth off at the American troops. I don't think that was very realistic. In real life he probably would have been shot by his own comrades for being so unprofessional. Or maybe killed by a GI when everyone was asleep.

Gotta agree with all these films you see on the sci-fi channel. They all look like a bunch of actors playing soldier-boy.

I saw some of that Lorenzo Lamas flick, too. Those rifles threw me for a loop at first. I was seeing an AK safety on the side of an AR and saying "WTF?" to myself.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Gotta agree with all these films you see on the sci-fi channel. They all look like a bunch of actors playing soldier-boy.

Scott

you give them too much credit calling them 'actors'

I could forgive the craptastic CGI effects IF they could act worth a damn.

Remember 'Clash of the Titans'?   Craptastic effects (by todays standards), but the cast actually had something called 'talent'.  

Talent is what made Clash and a lot of other old movies good.  Sadly it has recently become a very rare thing..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Based on the architecture of the buildings, I think this was filmed on location somewhere in Eastern Europe, hence all the Soviet / Warsaw Pact stuff (like the PPsH, SA-7 and T-34).

I read somewhere that SCIFi films most if not all of their movies in Eastern European countries, the costs of filming there are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and the M1917 Enfield

Ok, ok, I didn't realise the US issued K98's (Yugo M48's)

Too true.  
The US did issue Mosin Nagants though (left over US manufactured ones issued to the troops who went to Archangelsk, Russia after the revolution & also used for basic training/National Guard/ROTC/USN & Army reserve use stateside).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top