Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 1:17:49 PM EDT

041005-N-3019M-002 Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (Oct. 5, 2004)

Marisco Ltd. workers repair the aging hull of the decommissioned Balao-class submarine USS Bowfin (SS 287) at their shipyard near the former Naval Air Station Barber's Point, during a restoration project.

Bowfin has served as a floating museum for 23 years, and is moored next to the USS Arizona Memorial Visitor's Center.

Known as the "Pearl Harbor Avenger," Bowfin was launched one year to the day after Dec. 7, 1941 and was credited with sinking 44 enemy ships during the course of her nine extraordinary war patrols.

U.S. Navy photos by Journalist Seaman Ryan C. McGinley (RELEASED)

More info:
www.bowfin.org/website/index.cfm
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That was the SS-230 USS Finback

Quoted:
Isn't that the sub that picked up Lieut.(jg) George H. W. Bush in 1944?

Hmmm?

Eric The(Historical)Hun

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the honor of touring the Bowfin, as well as the USS Missouri and  USS Arizona Memorial  when I was in Oahu last Feb.  That day was the highlight of my trip. I'd go back in a heartbeat and do it all over again if I had the chance.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top