Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 10:49:16 AM EDT
I seem to remember hearing that it was now illegal for insurance companies to use your social security number as an id number on your insurance card, but my company still does it.  Am I remembering wrong?  Was this just proposed but not passed?  Just trying to figure out whether my company is breaking the law by doing this.

Thanks if anyone knows!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Irrespective of legality, you should NEVER carry your SSN on your person.

I found out the hard way about 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Anthem BCBS     did as of a couple months ago.  i just looked at my latest card.   my ID  no   used to be a Social.  now its not      
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got new prescription cards that had them removed. The letter made a point to mention it.

I should be getting new insurance cards soon too.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My carrier recently stopped the practice and issued new cards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Our carrier quit the practice over a year ago. Sent new cards out with no SSN on them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]
where my dad works they put it like this- XXX-XX-1234 (as in they only use the last 4 numbers)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top