Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:17:05 PM EST
Posted in the sticky above about my experiences in crossing two state lines with my shooting iron... anybody else try it out?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:00:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By jor-el:
Posted in the sticky above about my experiences in crossing two state lines with my shooting iron... anybody else try it out?

You drove past a sign?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:06:33 PM EST
I recently got back from vaction and carried the entire time. Aside from the imbeciles at TSA, everything was fine. I stopped off at several departments, and never tried to hide my weapon. I was asked several times to see my "tin" when I was at stations, and I always showed my weapon as well (badge is next to weapon). I was treated the same way I would treat any brother officer, which is very well. Several officers commented that they liked that I was taking advantage of HR 218. My comment to them was the same as it was before 218, there are to few of us to go around.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:27:58 PM EST
I haven't "tried it out" since its passage................but I always carried everywhere anyway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:44:22 PM EST
Took the family to Ocean City Maryland the day after GWB signed it into law. Then again, I always carried anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:33:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:
I haven't "tried it out" since its passage................but I always carried everywhere anyway.

+1

Jay
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:46:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By AZCOP:

+1

Jay

I did'nt. I used to NOT CARRY in Kalifornia becasue of reports of some unfreindly "friendly's" hassling off-duty's over it.

But last week I proudly carried during a day trip to San Diego.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:58:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:
I recently got back from vaction and carried the entire time. Aside from the imbeciles at TSA, everything was fine. I stopped off at several departments, and never tried to hide my weapon. I was asked several times to see my "tin" when I was at stations, and I always showed my weapon as well (badge is next to weapon). I was treated the same way I would treat any brother officer, which is very well. Several officers commented that they liked that I was taking advantage of HR 218. My comment to them was the same as it was before 218, there are to few of us to go around.

I was transporting my pistol in my checked luggage at a local airport, and the dumb ass TSA flunky who saw the outline in the XRay shouted "Oh my God, is that what I think it is?" Needless to say, it was all eyes on me. His boss quickly pulled him ASSide and quickly explained that it was being legally transported and to shut his pie hole.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:19:11 PM EST
+1 Always carried anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:19:44 PM EST
Does 218 include carry in the District of Columbia? That is one unfriendly place...

About 8 years ago I was in Virginia visiting my brother-in-law; a Virginia State Police sergeant said it was okay for me to carry in his state as long as I had my creds, then he quickly added that if I was visiting DC, then I better leave the pistol at the house. I'm hoping that 218 changed all of that...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:08:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By cjklekar:
Does 218 include carry in the District of Columbia? That is one unfriendly place...

About 8 years ago I was in Virginia visiting my brother-in-law; a Virginia State Police sergeant said it was okay for me to carry in his state as long as I had my creds, then he quickly added that if I was visiting DC, then I better leave the pistol at the house. I'm hoping that 218 changed all of that...

If you are a cop, you are all set, even in DC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:36:22 AM EST
I had a different exp in DC we take 5th graders on a field trip to DC every year. It's a huge production we have cops, paramedics, m.d.'s and lots of chaperons. Me and the medics were waived through much of the security after showing our ID's. We were all carrying so much metal stuff we would have taken all day to search. With this it will just get better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:22:15 AM EST
Wont be "trying it out" til December for my next trip to NC to visit my brother. Unlike previous trips, I wont have to go unarmed....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:12:34 AM EST

I did'nt. I used to NOT CARRY in Kalifornia becasue of reports of some unfreindly "friendly's" hassling off-duty's over it.

A handful of our guys were getting hassled by some local TX DPS troopers. Maybe some bad blood in there, but it always seems like the decent guys are the ones given a hard time. I don't know all of the story, but a trooper had pulled over a BP who was on his way to work for speeding. He told the agent to unload his weapon and place it in the trunk of the vehicle becuase he was going to issue him a ticket. Local PD detained an agent for about 30 minutes so the PD Sgt could come and question him as to why he was carrying off duty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:23:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By BigJ491:

Originally Posted By Stickman:

I was transporting my pistol in my checked luggage at a local airport, and the dumb ass TSA flunky who saw the outline in the XRay shouted "Oh my God, is that what I think it is?" Needless to say, it was all eyes on me. His boss quickly pulled him ASSide and quickly explained that it was being legally transported and to shut his pie hole.

I was flying armed after 9-11 and got flagged for search before boarding. I told them that I was the armed LEO on the flight that they had the paperwork for. They told me they still had to search me and I told them I didn't care if they did or not, I just wanted to take the suspence out of it and let them know they were going to find something. They confered for about ten minutes over what to do with me telling them over and over to go ahead and search me if that is what they wanted to do. One finally said that there didn't seem to be any point to it and told me to go ahead and board.

You just have to go with the flow these days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:33:17 PM EST
Do stronger state laws supercede HR 218?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:37:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By CRC:

CRC

No.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:47:20 AM EST
I have been up to Milwaukee for Cubs games twice since it passed. And I also drove out to Colorado with my G23. I also brought along my AR and took it to the local PUBLIC shooting range and put it to use. The local Sheriffs Dept. was very courteous and let me know they had no problem taking my rifle out there. (Chaffee County Colorado).

Total culture shock for me to see a public shooting range directly off of the highway. 500yd. rifle range, two pistol ranges, and a shotgun range. All free funded by the county.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:32:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2004 5:32:37 AM EST by brushdog]

Originally Posted By bigern:

Originally Posted By CRC:

CRC

No.

But if your dept has a specific policy limiting your off duty carry you can run into problems. Lets say you get involved a shooting incident off duty in an another state and it is ruled as a justified shoot. While it may be ruled as a legal shoot, you would still have to answer to your department's administrative actions, whatever they may be.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:52:14 PM EST
The reason I ask is that in NC the law states you have to file with the clerk of superior court or something like that.

I guess now you don't?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:24 PM EST
I spoke to a Texas trooper last night and he advised they have been givin a memo from Austin over the carry bill. He advised that it just stated that it had passed with a brief note as to what bill was over. I have an ex-trooper working for me now and he states troopers are told in the academy NOT to harrass or give any problems to out of state officers with propper IDs' and such. As long as they are not being an a--hole.

I carry everywhere, even in disneyworld this summer. I had no problems, but then again I carry in a way so no one knows I'm carrying.

Working on the LA border, it is common to run into out of state officers, we also have IH-10 running through my city.

If your every in Orange, TX, your welcome to carry.

ScubaTexas
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:57:12 AM EST
Semi-related to this topic, what plans do any of your agencies have in place or in the planning stages to allow the retired guys to qualify with their weapons to satisfy that part of the bill? I approached my Sheriff about running a half day at the range for the retired guys in a couple of weeks when we are going to be at the range, but he wants to run it by the legal guys first to see what his liability is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:52 AM EST
Departments seem to be terrified of conducting a state qual, and writing a letter saying if the ret. officer passed. There is ZERO liability if the officers passes. There is nothing that says they have to pass on the first, second or fortythird try, it simply says they have to pass. If they don't pass, they don't get the letter, so how hard is it to figure out....

Sorry for the rant, but its a sore subject with me how retired officers are treated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:38:27 PM EST

Really? I guess laws are only for stupid peons.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:44:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 7:45:37 PM EST by Sukebe]

Originally Posted By captainpooby:

Awwww, is sombody feeling a little inferior?

Membership has it's privileges. Move on with your life. Go shit in your own thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:58:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 8:01:32 PM EST by captainpooby]

Originally Posted By Sukebe:

Membership has it's privileges. Move on with your life. Go shit in your own thread.

Oh, excuse me master while I bow and scrape and leave your precious thread oh great master of the masses.
No wonder you guys have issues with the public. It s your attitude that laws dont apply to you.
Shoot any dogs lately?

Hee hee. Just a joke.

ETA:
Not one of you has a privledge. You are citizens just like the rest of us, so get over your power trip.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:07:00 PM EST

Oh, excuse me master while I bow and scrape and leave your precious thread oh great master of the masses.
No wonder you guys have issues with the public. It s your attitude that laws dont apply to you.
Shoot any dogs lately?

Hee hee. Just a joke.

ETA:
Not one of you has a privledge. You are citizens just like the rest of us, so get over your power trip.

Would you like some french cries with your wahburger?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:22:21 PM EST

Shoot any dogs lately?

Hee hee. Just a joke.

ETA:

Would you like some french cries with your wahburger?

Listen citizen Sukebe. While I think that is probably your perfect job, serving burgers, I will decline your offer because you are probably juvenile enough to spit on it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:07:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 10:24:39 AM EST by scotchymcdrinkerbean]

Before I read what was posted after this,let me say this:

Yes.

Laws on carry weapons ARE only for STUPID peons.

I don't know you, and ain't intersted in starting a fight with you, but what I meant (and admittedly, you might have a better idea of my perspective if you ever perused PB) was that I have always carried under the 2nd and 4th amendments.

That means that I believe the 2nd spells out my right to bear arms, and my knowledge of the 4th (obtained prior to my being a LEO) gives me understanding of reasonable suspicion vs. probable cause, and I always carried CONCEALED while doing nothing illegal. So any search of my person not based upon PROBABLE CAUSE would result in the evidence seized (i.e., a concealed firearm) being inadmissable in court. I've been a police officer for 10 years, but I've carried for 14. I don't know about you, but whatever my shortcomings, I've always had the fortitude to exercise my rights.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, papers, houses and affects, from unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated. And no Warrant shall issue, except upon probable cause, and supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

If anyone finds that to be wrong, bear in mind that it was typed from memory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:15:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 12:16:19 PM EST by ColtAR-15]
Amen Scotchymcdrinderbean...............very well said!!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:51:33 PM EST

Listen citizen Sukebe. While I think that is probably your perfect job, serving burgers, I will decline your offer because you are probably juvenile enough to spit on it.

You seem to use the word "citizen" like a four letter word. Like it's some kind of put down. Yeah, you obviously have an inferiority complex.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:05:39 PM EST
I So any search of my person not based upon PROBABLE CAUSE would result in the evidence seized (i.e., a concealed firearm) being inadmissable in court. I've been a police officer for 10 years, but I've carried for 14.

Buddy, I think you better check the standards for a Stop and Frisk. I think you'll find it's reasonable suspicion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:08:52 PM EST
. So any search of my person not based upon PROBABLE CAUSE would result in the evidence seized (i.e., a concealed firearm) being inadmissable in court. I've been a police officer for 10 years, but I've carried for 14.

Buddy, I think you should check the standards for a Stop and Frisk. I think you'll find that it's Reasonable Suspicion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:36:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By CalFed:
. So any search of my person not based upon PROBABLE CAUSE would result in the evidence seized (i.e., a concealed firearm) being inadmissable in court. I've been a police officer for 10 years, but I've carried for 14.

Buddy, I think you should check the standards for a Stop and Frisk. I think you'll find that it's Reasonable Suspicion.

Yup. (Adding RS that someone is armed.)

Which in some locals is a speeding stop with an NRA sticker on the rear window.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:50:51 PM EST

You seem to use the word "citizen" like a four letter word. Like it's some kind of put down. Yeah, you obviously have an inferiority complex.

Really? It's a put down to be a "CITIZEN"?
I am nothing BUT a citizen so I think nothing of the kind. You obviously have a feeling of superiority if you think the term citizen is a put down.
I think that YOU think its a four letter word.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:41:26 AM EST

Really? It's a put down to be a "CITIZEN"?
I am nothing BUT a citizen so I think nothing of the kind. You obviously have a feeling of superiority if you think the term citizen is a put down.
I think that YOU think its a four letter word.

Don't back down. You meant to try to insult me by calling me "Citizen Sukebe". By doing so, you are implying that I think I'm something else. Something better. That is an insult. That was your intent. You're going to deny it? How many other people do you address as "Citizen"? You have a problem with Cops being allowed to carry nationwide? You have a problem with the fact that Cops extended the courtesy to one another before this law was passed? What a small minded person you must be to get upset about such trivial things.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:56:32 PM EST

I was on a drunken rampage--you are of course correct.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:06:53 PM EST

I was on a drunken rampage--you are of course correct.

Actually, I think that I was correct.

Citizen Corey
Top Top