Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 5:52:41 AM EDT
Small lake, winds 10-20mph tomorrow, option to rent either two person sit-on-top kayak or canoe.  Kid is eight, no paddling experience.  Which do you choose?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer kayaks , with 20 mph wind that kayak will handle better but you are going to get wet. You might be able to handle the kid better in the canoe though.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to mention that we can paddle upstream through a creek.  We don't have to get out on the open lake.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
sit on top makes for more fun smacking snakes with the paddles that come to the kayak
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask the rental place but I think the kayak would be a better fit.  You should be able to control it easier if your child doesn't paddle well considering it's their first time out.  It's also easier to re-mount if you both happen to get wet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The canoe will hold more beer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
A sit on top would be more paddle friendly to the little guy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#8]
canoe..

no brainer .

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Canoe is the better choice, assuming you know what you're doing.

20MPH wind is going to push you around in either, but neither will tip unless you freak out.

Get a properly sized paddle for him.  When standing, and the tip of the paddle on the ground, the end should be a little above his elbow.

You sit in the back.  Don't let him paddle himself out in the first 20 minutes.  Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top