Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/12/2005 9:11:09 PM EDT
How hard is it to get your SOT, and what does it require? Can one be a kitchen table SOT/ Title II manufacturer, or do you have to have a large operation?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:24:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:43:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:03:22 PM EDT
What is SOT?

Ben
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:37:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:42:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:43:40 PM EDT
I'm from NY...thought you were talking kayak's
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:49:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leadnbrass:
I'm from NY...thought you were talking kayak's

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:55:12 AM EDT
So technically I could apply for my FFL, out of my house, say as a transfer FFL to do transfers from people that have bought stuff off of gunbroker, etc., pay the $200 SOT and be able to posses post samples?  How does this work, could I now do transfers for police agencies?  What about manufacturing a new machinegun for sale to police/ law enforcment? I don't understand how all this works exactly, but I think it might be worth the hassle for $200 a year to be able to have access to machineguns and other title II firearms.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:10:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:20:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Originally Posted By Bunn19:
So technically I could apply for my FFL, out of my house, say as a transfer FFL to do transfers from people that have bought stuff off of gunbroker, etc., pay the $200 SOT and be able to posses post samples?  How does this work, could I now do transfers for police agencies?  What about manufacturing a new machinegun for sale to police/ law enforcment? I don't understand how all this works exactly, but I think it might be worth the hassle for $200 a year to be able to have access to machineguns and other title II firearms.

OK, couple things.

1. No such thing as a "transfer FFL" or "gunshow FFL" or "internet sales FFL" or any of special circumstances FFL. If you apply for a FFL you are going to be applying for the same kind of FFL as the gun shop down the street. Whether or not you can get a FFL based from your home will depend on local code and zoning laws.

2. If you get that FFL, the SOT is simply a matter of $500 (I earlier said $200 by mistake). But a SOT cannot simply start ordering post samples. For each post sample machine gun you will need to obtain a law enforcement demo letter. This is a letter from a local agency requesting a demonstration of a specific firearm. Only with this letter can a SOT obtain a post sample. Also post samples are not yours to keep, you are actually sort of renting them. You may have them ONLY so long as your SOT is current. They day you don't renew your SOT you have to transfer or dispose of all your post samples.

3. With a FFL/SOT you could then do transfers to agencies. Only a few problems. First they can buy cheaper direct from the manufacturer. LE agencies are not required to go through a FFL and can buy excise tax free directly from Colt, HK, etc. Second, if you ever DID get a agency sales  most of the time you'd never even see the guns as most companies will drop ship your order directly to the agency.

4. Manufacturing of new machine guns requires a manufacturers license and SOT. All manufactured machine guns would be considered post samples and subject to the same regulation. In the end you pay $500 a year and really don't have much access to machine guns.

but how do the pre samples work?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:20:57 AM EDT

4. Manufacturing of new machine guns requires a manufacturers license and SOT. All manufactured machine guns would be considered post samples and subject to the same regulation. In the end you pay $500 a year and really don't have much access to machine guns.

But wait a minute.
If the local cop shop wants to demo something you can buy as a cheap post sample and hold it as long as you have the SOT, correct? Seems like you could get plenty of access to MGs depending on the local police. The way I see it you could end up with several MGs, dirt cheap in comparison and then pay the $500 per year fee. Am I getting something wrong here because that doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:53:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

But wait a minute.
If the local cop shop wants to demo something you can buy as a cheap post sample and hold it as long as you have the SOT, correct? Seems like you could get plenty of access to MGs depending on the local police. The way I see it you could end up with several MGs, dirt cheap in comparison and then pay the $500 per year fee. Am I getting something wrong here because that doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me.

ATF takes a dim view of those using a FFL to enhance a personal Gun collection.
Yes pulling a FFL and a sot is pretty easy but one factors in oh INSURANCE. Safes to store everything in(you would be in very deep shit if a MG went missing)  and a host of other things ie some area's might require a buisness liscence or whatver to comly with local regulattion. Its  quickly ends up being more then 500 dollers a year. If it really was so simple as pulling a FFL and paying your SOT we all would just do that instead of paying the riduclas inflated price on transferables.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:18:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:20:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:24:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:05:52 PM EDT
One more question,  how do the machine gun rental places do it that have post samples?  I've seen places that advertise G36s, UMPs and SAWs.   Do they just have an SOT with a buddies in the police department to write them demo letters? Or just have  a big Class III dealership that has done several demos before and kept the weapons for rental?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:03:12 PM EDT
Top Top