Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/11/2005 4:16:29 PM EDT
Cop, Gunman Dead



CERES — It started as a seemingly simple and somewhat routine call Sunday night: a man was acting strangely at a liquor store.

Moments later, a burst of gunfire echoed through the normally quiet neighborhood. One Ceres police officer lay dying, another was critically wounded, and law enforcement was storming the scene by land and air.

Helicopters hovered above as police ordered people to go inside, lock their doors and turn off the lights.

Three hours later, another gun battle erupted, this one ending in the death of a 19-year-old Marine from Modesto,suspected of shooting the two officers.

Altogether, police and neighbors said Monday, dozens of bullets flew, shattering windows and piercing vehicles as residents hunkered down in terror.

"Brap-brap-brap-brap-brap," said Anthony John Phillips, a 15-year-old boy who lives a block away, trying to describe the rapid gunfire. "I was scared. It was crazy."

In the end:

Ceres police Sgt. Howard Stevenson, 39, was dead.

Andres Raya, who police say seemed determined to die rather than return to Iraq, was dead.

Ceres police officer Sam Ryno, 50, was hospitalized with multiple gunshot wounds. He was in critical condition Monday, and is expected to recover.
Monday, detectives from sev-eral law enforcement agencies — from the Ceres police to the FBI — sifted through events leading to Sunday's carnage.

Officers were still struggling to figure out what drove Raya to fire on officers.

"It was premeditated, planned, an ambush," Ceres Police Chief Art de Werk said. "It was a suicide by cop."

De Werk said investigators are not ruling out other motives or accomplices, but believe that Raya, a Marine who had served seven months in Iraq, was concerned about the possibility of going back into combat. I guess mindreading is standard skill now

The soldier returned to the United States in September and recently visited his family in Modesto.

Julia Cortez Raya said Monday that her son served in Fallujah: "He came back different."

Raya told family members he did not want to return to Iraq. But his father said the family believed by the end of his holiday visit, Raya had decided to make the best of the 2½ years he had left in the Marines.

He rejoined his unit at Camp Pendleton on Jan. 2. Sheriff's Lt. Bill Heyne said Raya was last seen at Camp Pendleton Saturday.

He reportedly told fellow soldiers he was going to get a quick bite to eat. Instead, he showed up in Ceres 24 hours later, armed with an SKS assault rifle. The rifle is a Chinese version of the weapon that Raya was trained to use in the Marines, Heyne said.

Video cameras catch carnage

The first moments of the three-hour drama were caught by video cameras at George's Liquors, 2125 Caswell Ave., near Central Avenue.

The tape shows Raya firing one round into the pavement of the store's parking lot. He then walks into the store.

According to police, Raya told the clerk that he had just been shot at and asked the clerk to call 911, Heyne said.

Steven Marchant, working at the store Sunday night, said he was standing in front of the store when he saw Raya walking toward him from across the street about 8 p.m. Raya was wearing a poncho and yelling "how much he hated the world," Marchant said.

Marchant recognized Raya as a friend of the owner's brother and a regular customer.

Marchant went into the store when Raya stopped at the front door and asked him to call police.

Another employee tried to calm Raya down. Then the employee realized Raya had a gun under the poncho. After Raya walked out, the employees locked the door and called police.

Raya waited outside, a surveillance videotape shows.

About 8:07 p.m., about two minutes after the call, Ryno and a police trainee pulled up into the parking lot of Jiro Tires Plus, a neighboring business that faces Central Avenue. The trainee's name was not released.

As the two officers peered around the corner of a building to locate Raya, a third officer pulled into the same parking lot. Raya opened fire on all three, hitting Ryno — who had stepped out from behind the building — several times in the leg and once in the lower back.

Raya then rushed the trainee, firing several times but missing. The trainee and the third officer, whose name was not released, shot back.

Raya ducked around the corner of George's. After a few seconds, he saw Stevenson pull up in front of the liquor store. Raya opened fire again, shooting through the window of a white car in the parking lot and hitting Stevenson.

He then ran out of view of the camera.

Stevenson, lying injured on the ground, was shot twice in the back of the head, Heyne said.

Witnesses: Raya appeared calm

"I was walking in my back yard to use my spa when I heard a horrible grinding noise," said Norm Travis, whose home is on Glenwood Drive, around the corner from George's.

"Then an alarm went off and there was a bunch of yelling and screaming and then another round of shots," he said.

"We knew that it was an automatic weapon," said his wife, Karen Travis.

Witnesses told police that after shooting the officers, Raya calmly walked east on Caswell and disappeared, either into a house or a back yard.

Within minutes, officers from the Ceres, Modesto, Turlock and Newman police departments, as well as the Stanislaus and Merced sheriff's offices and the California Highway Patrol, responded.

Nearly one square mile of the city's streets were closed as a CHP helicopter hovered and police officers and SWAT teams took positions around the neighborhood.

Police officers began shooting out street lights to diminish Raya's vision, officers said.

Residents were told to lock their doors and turn off their lights, said Kim Rose, 25, who lives about one block from the liquor store. She had been in the store about 20 minutes before the shooting.

"We heard a lot of gunfire, and I mean a lot of gunfire," Rose said. "Then a few minutes later, police were walking up and down the street with guns drawn, yelling for everyone to go back in their houses."

George Newton, who lives two blocks from the store on Beachwood Drive, said his 42-year-old daughter was visiting him when the neighborhood was locked down. She wasn't allowed to leave the home.

"She slept on my couch last night," Newton said. "She was stuck here until 4:30 a.m."

Some neighbors evacuated

Across the street, the Garcia family was evacuated. Their home was believed to be directly behind the home in which Raya was hiding. Members of a SWAT team took over the Garcia's house, Kandy Garcia said, positioning themselves in her back yard and on her neighbor's bal-cony.

"They were nice and professional but very firm and matter-of-fact," Garcia said. "They said we had to leave now."

She grabbed her four children and stayed the night at her mother's house.

The CHP helicopter beamed its light into the yards of homes on the south side of Beachwood and north side of Caswell.

After about two hours, officers began a slow house-to-house search, according to a press release issued Monday.

"Our poor neighbors across the street were evacuated, so they locked their doors," Norm Travis said. "Then about an hour later, the SWAT team broke down their front door to search for the suspect."

About 11:08 p.m., Raya jumped over a backyard fence from a home on Caswell and ended up in an alley between Glenwood and Myrtlewood drives.

Police say he fired at four officers who were positioned at the Glenwood end of the alley, about 100 yards away. The officers fired back and struck him multiple times.

He dropped his rifle but started running toward them. He motioned as if he was going for a second weapon, officers said, so they continued to fire.

He fell to the ground and died at the scene.

His body was still in the alley Monday afternoon as investigators worked the scene.

Police said that an exact number of rounds fired by Raya and police had not been determined Monday evening, but it was probably more than 60.

Police also released the liquor store video tape. De Werk said he wanted the public to see the tape so they could understand not only what happened but "what's really going on in the world."

Bee staff writer Patrick Giblin can be reached at 578-2347 or pgiblin@modbee.com.

Bee staff writers Joel Hood and Eddie Brown contributed to this bullshit report.

I'm not saying the boy didn't have legit problems ,but dollars to donuts this writer, and I use the term writer loosely is obviously a anti war/anti gun hacket man..............or is it just me?

WOW this POS writer got himself a twofer (Two birds with one stone, good for you. I hope you get hit by a fucking bus asshole!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:18:38 PM EDT
War can really fuck up a man's mind...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:26:44 PM EDT
Marines train with automatic SKS assault rifles?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:26:50 PM EDT
WAR does , but I just got errked the way this faggetdee assed lib wrote about the events, with bias
as usual.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:35:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT:
Marines train with automatic SKS assault rifles?

I guess so, when did the marines start issuing an American version?

Talk about cutbacks.

I think the cops got lucky, I don't think this Marine was too impressive, could be why he did not want to go back to Iraq.

Sad that a cop had to die for this dope.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
There is so much bullshit in this article that you can't tell what's true and what isn't.

There is obviously a lot that was missing. This guy sounds like he had a drug problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:44:38 PM EDT
Here is a description of the event with less bullshit.

Sgt. Howard "Howie" Stevenson
Ceres Police Department

A Ceres police officer died Sunday night after being wounded outside a supermarket. Another officer was also wounded. After a brief manhunt, police shot the armed suspect believed responsible.

Sgt. Howard Stevenson died of his injuries after being shot at about 8:30 p.m. near the Sequoia Supermarket on North Central Avenue in Ceres. Fellow officer Sam Rino was also wounded.

Police responded to the scene after several 911 calls reported a man who appeared to be carrying a gun was acting strangely outside the market. Officers approached the man, who opened fire with what's being described as an assault rifle. Both officers were hit. After the shooting, the gunman fled into a nearby neighborhood.

Officers with the Ceres Police Department, the Modesto Police Department and the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department quickly cordoned off the area and began a search, concentrating on the 2200 block of Caswell Avenue. Although details are unclear, at some point there was an exchange of shots and the suspect was hit.

Sgt. Howard Stevenson, age 49 and a 26-year veteran of the Ceres PD, responded to assist, was also was met with a hail of gunfire, and was mortally wounded.

The suspect, Andres Raya age 19 of Modesto, was shot and killed by responding officers.

Sgt. Stevenson is survived by his widow Kathy and three children ages 19, 16, and 13.

Funeral services are pending
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:46:25 PM EDT
Ceres officer dies, another injured in gunfight with Marine

Associated Press

CERES, Calif. - A U.S. Marine shot and killed one police officer and injured another before being shot to death by hours later.

Sergeant Howard Stevenson died from the multiple gun shots he suffered Sunday evening, becoming the first member of the Modesto Police Department to die in the line of duty. Officer Sam Ryno was in critical condition in a hospital after also being shot several times.

Police are trying to determine if the shooter, 19-year-old Andres Raya of Modesto, wanted to die in what authorities call "suicide by cop." Raya's family told police that he was afraid he would be sent back to Iraq for a third stint of duty, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

"We're still in the very early stages of investigating this," said Deputy Jason Woodman of the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department. "We still have a long way to go."

Raya was supposed to have reported for duty to Camp Pendleton on Sunday after taking holiday leave but instead left the San Diego area Saturday night to return home.

The incident began when someone at a liquor store reported to police that a man had come into the store with a shotgun and left on foot.

Ryno, 50, arrived on scene and was fired upon by Raya and hit, police said. Stevenson, 39, then showed up and was shot twice in the head, according to police, before Raya fled.

Raya was tracked down by other officers who converged to the area. Police say he initiated a second gunfight, during which he was shot and killed.

Woodman said the rifle Raya used was illegal and had not been issued to him by the military.

Several houses in the neighborhood, north of Ceres High School, were evacuated, and the area was kept locked down for about two-and-a-half hours, officers said. Officers went door to door, asking residents to lock their doors and turn off their lights, said Vito Fontana, 63, a local resident who watched the police in action.

Stevenson had been a member of the Ceres police force for 20 years and is survived by his wife and three children.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:46:58 PM EDT
Note the discrepencies in the last two stories and the first one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 4:49:56 PM EDT by 2A373]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 4:54:57 PM EDT by tc6969]
Dupe http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=312928
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 7:43:14 PM EDT by tc6969]
Dupe http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=312928
Top Top