Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 1:32:53 PM EST
I was considering getting one of these for hunting/general use. Anyone have any experience with them? Should I get the full size or should I go with the PUP? Also, what is the differences between the the normal and elite pup knives? Would they be strong enough to split a brisket?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:34:19 PM EST
I have a seap pup I use for hunting, works pretty good for cleaning and skinning an elk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:35:19 PM EST
Is the blade long enough on the pup or shoud I get the full size?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:39:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:
Is the blade long enough on the pup or shoud I get the full size?

I think the Seal pup is just about right, actually.

Here is a pic I just took of mine comparted to a Gerber Multitool, for reference.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:43:27 PM EST
Funny, I have that SAME Gerber tool...works well.

How well do they keep their sharpness? The knife I have now is good for maybe one gutting, then its dull...so it figured its time for a new one.

If you didn't have a saw, could you put that thing under the brisket and pull to split it (in a pinch that is)?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:45:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:
Funny, I have that SAME Gerber tool...works well.

How well do they keep their sharpness? The knife I have now is good for maybe one gutting, then its dull...so it figured its time for a new one.

If you didn't have a saw, could you put that thing under the brisket and pull to split it (in a pinch that is)?

Yeah, You could do that with it. I never tried, as I also carry a saw with me.

It holds its edge pretty well. Not the best knife for holding an edge that I have ever seen, but not the worst either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:31:14 PM EST
Just placed a bid on ebay for one. Looking foreward to it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:41:23 PM EST
i have had one since they came out i have many more expencive knives but i like the seal 2000 as a good worker i used one the split the briscit on a small dear and got a little sideways and went through the ribs at a 45 degrea angle with no effort before i realized what happend its just 440a stainless it gets sharp as hell and is easy to sharpen but does not hold its edge real well i think its a fine knife for the money now youve made me want to dig mine out of the gun safe and plat with it
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:07:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By tony101664:
i have had one since they came out i have many more expencive knives but i like the seal 2000 as a good worker i used one the split the briscit on a small dear and got a little sideways and went through the ribs at a 45 degrea angle with no effort before i realized what happend its just 440a stainless it gets sharp as hell and is easy to sharpen but does not hold its edge real well i think its a fine knife for the money now youve made me want to dig mine out of the gun safe and plat with it

HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE!!

Now... I have been SERIOUSLY looking at the SOG Tigershark. I found a brand new one for 80 bucks & I am so tempted to order.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:11:38 PM EST
I like the Ontario Knife Co. Randall Adventure Trainer line.

They have a 7", 5" 3" and a 4" folder. The fixed blades come in either 1095 Carbon tool steel or D2. Stout, sharp, and made for hard use, and each can be had for under $80 if you look on ebay.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:12:46 PM EST
I have a SEAL 2000 knife that I use as a general all around beater knife. I've used it to gut and then quarter a deer. Then cut some kindling to start the cook fire with.

As someone else said, it doesn't keep it's edge forever but it is easily sharpened with a Lansky sharper or a simple stone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:17:25 PM EST
I bought one of the pups. It seemed like a pretty good knife for the money. Not the greatest knife. The regular seal is too long for me.
Top Top