Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2001 7:12:23 AM EDT
I've been wondering....is the SKS legal in Canada.  Does anyone know how I can find out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure are.  Unless the individual rifle was once full auto or had an abnormally short barrel or overall length, the SKS is classified as 'non-restricted.'  Under C-68 doublespeak that generally means you must pass a safety course, get a current valid firearm acquisition license and register the gun.  Failure to register is punishable by up to 10 years in prison under cc S.92.  Call 1-800-731-4000 to start the paperwork rolling.  A 5 round mag limit applies, which obviously interferes with the operation of 10 round stripper clips.  Loading five at a time can best be accomplished by wiggling your finger into the center of a 10 round stripper and peeling off the bottom five.  Bayonets are standard on most SKSs up here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yah and here you can slap on a nice folding stock and a flash hider for good will, recently Marstar got a new shipment of SKS rifles with Milled and machined parts not pressed.
[img]http://www.marstar.ca/banner/M-59-bnr.gif[/img]
You can check it out at[url]www.marstar.ca[/url]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
All rifles must be registered wether after or before the deadline.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out there Italian M1 Garands for $199.00 Canadian! I think I'm gonna puke.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Failure to register is punishable by up to 10 years in prison under cc S.92
View Quote

Are those Canadian years or U.S. years? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I personaly say no registering at all, but from a legal standpoint your better registering everything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
All firearms including shotguns, and other hunting rifles, wether produced or owned before Bill C-68 must be registered as of 2003, the only exception being firearms considered antiques. The best person to ask about this would probably be Striker, I'm supprised he hasnt joined yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
At least after your registration, safety course, short arm inspection, etc., you are not required to learn "Mandarin Chinese", since after all, most are made in China. !!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All firearms including shotguns, and other hunting rifles, wether produced or owned before Bill C-68 must be registered as of 2003, the only exception being firearms considered antiques.
View Quote

If you acquire the gun after Dec 1 1998, the law says it must be registered.  If you already have the gun, hold off on registering.  It costs you nothing to wait and you are not legally required to register your own guns until Jan 1 2003.  By then there will likely have been another election and there is a good chance that all or part of C-68 may have changed.  Besides, guns seem to be worth more without paperwork at this point.

As Scarecrow points out, not all shotguns or hunting rifles are firearms.  Certain firearms, including brand new firearms, have been designated as antiques and do not have to be registered, nor do they require a license.  The regulations prescribing antique firearms are available at
[URL]http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/cfm/ENGLISH/TOPICS/02WEAPON/0201000F.HTM[/URL]

Other exceptions can be convoluted and are covered in CC S.83 which is available at
[URL]http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/cfm/ENGLISH/LEG/CC/0840000D.HTM#S084_03[/URL]

As usual with this law, there are exceptions to the exceptions.  Exceptions to the exceptions are outlined in section five of the page at
[URL]http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/cfm/ENGLISH/TOPICS/02WEAPON/0200200F.HTM[/URL]

Edited to add that all the above means that flintlock or fuse-ignited cannon are also exempt.  [whacko]  Your 1880 single shot 22 rimfire rifle must be registered, but a brand new 6" cannon is exempt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out there Italian M1 Garands for $199.00 Canadian! I think I'm gonna puke.
View Quote

Anyone know if these Garands are any good at all?  I mean as a shooter, since there would be no collector value at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone know if these Garands are any good at all?  I mean as a shooter, since there would be no collector value at all.
View Quote

SIR mailorder has some g-vg garands for CAN$199 but they're Springfields, not the Breda ones.  Most have been arsenal reworked & are great shooters.  Bredas in similar condition have been advertised in Canadian Access to Firearms between $280 and $350.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

SIR mailorder has some g-vg garands for CAN$199 but they're Springfields, not the Breda ones.  Most have been arsenal reworked & are great shooters.  Bredas in similar condition have been advertised in Canadian Access to Firearms between $280 and $350.
View Quote

Found SIR.  They only have the Breda's now for $179 Canadian which is $116 US.  Where the Springfields you mentioned original Springfield that had GI armory rebuilds?  How much hassle is it to ship a Garand from Canada to US and are there any taxes that jack the price way up?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Found SIR.  They only have the Breda's now for $179 Canadian which is $116 US.  Where the Springfields you mentioned original Springfield that had GI armory rebuilds?  How much hassle is it to ship a Garand from Canada to US and are there any taxes that jack the price way up?
View Quote

WOW!  I never heard about those before.  If I figured I could slide it past the woman, I'd be in line for one too.  :)  The Springfields appeared to be armory refurbished - the metal on mine was 100% finish and the wood was about 80%.  Condition was somewhat variable though - I took the best of 3 examples.  I understand that the Springfield ones can't be imported back into the US due to your laws.  However, the Breda ones should be able to be shipped over the border.  Besides the firearm acquisition license and registration certificate mentioned above, you'll need an import permit from the State Dept and an export permit from our Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.  Expect the firearm acquisition license to add another CAN$50-$100 or so depending on whether you already have an approved safety course.  Add 7% GST at point of purchase which as a foreign visitor you can apply to have rebated.  1-800-OCANADA should be able to point you in the right direction for the import/export permits.  Incidentally, that CC S.92 thing I mentioned above was for registering yourself via a license, not the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top