Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 11:07:11 PM EDT
I have a Norinco SKS and now looking into a Russian one.... What are the differences that can be seen by a novice and what are the advatages of either?

And is it ONE manufacturer that made all of them and different countries had different specs?

some history please?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a Russing one at the store the other day, the last owned had pinned one of those 74 style brakes on it and changed the bolt cover to one of those scope mount ones, didnt have the oringal one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both, They both shoot great, but the Russian SKS has a slight edge for accuracy
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Who is NORINCO and who is CENTURY?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Norinco did the importing of the China guns and ammo.

Century currently imports stuff, if it has that mark its likely a Yugo SKS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Norinco is a Chinese Company that makes just about everything, Century is  the Importer
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Norinco is a Chinese Company that makes just about everything, Century is  the Importer

So Norinco made my chinese SKS and Century imports the Russian ones?

do I have that right?

Oh and DPMMN, I saw your pic of your 5 SKS' ... LOVE that pic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So Norinco made my chinese SKS and Century imports the Russian ones?

do I have that right?

Oh and DPMMN, I saw your pic of your 5 SKS' ... LOVE that pic.

Century Imported a bunch of different SKS's  There are a couple of different imprters of the Chinese SKS's, Poly and Century and one other but the name escapes me.

Here is a Corperate Bio of Norinco

China North Industries Group (NORINCO)

中国北方工业公司

No. 46 Sanlihelu, Beijing China  100821
Tel:  8610-68594210, 68594230
Fax: 8610-68594232

PRESIDENT: LI De

GENERAL MANAGER: MA Zhingeng

OVERVIEW:

The NORINCO Group is one of China's ten defense-industrial enterprises (jungong qiye) which report to the State Council; it does not have any formal ties to the PLA, although NORINCO is an important military supplier. NORINCO was created in the early 1980's as the export arm of the Fifth Ministry of Machine Industry (5MMI); in 1982, 5MMI was renamed the Ministry of Ordnance Industry.  NORINCO was "corporatized" in 1988 as the China Ordnance Industry Corporation (COIC), but due to name recognition issues, the name NORINCO remained in use (or alternatively, the NORINCO Group.)

In addition, NORINCO develops, produces, and markets a variety of military equipment, systems, and components, including fire control systems, sighting and aiming systems, and NBC protection equipment.

The reorganization of state owned enterprises (SOEs) after the ninth meeting of the National People's Congress restructured much of China's defense industrial complex. As part of the reorganization, in 1998 and 1999 COIC was divided into two entities, the China Ordnance Industry Group Company and the China Ordnance Equipment Industry Group Company. However, NORINCO remained one of the export arms of the two new entities.

According to official company information:

NORINCO is a large transnational corporation specializing in a combination of technology, manufacture and trade;
The Corporation deals with imports and exports, international and domestic trade, supplying goods, materials and large complete sets of equipment, contracting for engineering projects, export of labor services, processing with materials or according to samples and assembling parts, all supplied by investors, and compensation trade as well as industrial investment.
Main products include: "vehicles and mechanical products, optical-electronic products, explosives and blast materials, civil firearms and ammunition, light industrial products, special products, fire-fighting equipment, building materials, metal and non-metal materials and their finished products." [most of these products are actually produced by other companies but exported by NORINCO]
The Corporation is involved in other business including exhibition and advertising, audio, video and publishing services, information consultation, real estate development, storage and transportation, finance, hotel and travel services.
In 1996, NORINCO's gross volume of business reached more than 23 billion Chinese yuan, of which, the grand total of import and export became 1.5 billion US dollars, and the overseas business value was 700 million US dollars, ranking first similar enterprises in China.
NORINCO has 82 overseas companies and offices, and 23 domestic subsidiaries. NORINCO has close business relations with numerous enterprises and companies both domestically and internationally.

In March 2000, NORINCO sold US $65.9 million in arms to the Zimbabwe government.  The types of arms that were transferred included rocket anti-personnel shells, grenades for assault rifles, and hand grenades.  Tanks and tank ammunition may also have been included in the sale. NORINCO is a major exporter of small arms.

In May 2003, the U.S. government imposed sanctions on NORINCO for allegedly supplying missile technology to Iran. The sanctions, which went into effect on 9 May, barred all exports to the United States by NORINCO or its subsidiaries, and forbade any contracts between the company and U.S. government agencies. The measure was expected to have more of an impact than previous sanctions; in 2002, NORINCO exported an estimated $100 million worth of products to the United States. The U.S. sanctioned NORINCO again in June 2003 for allegedly selling to Iran equipment and technology that could contribute to a WMD program, and for a third time in one year in September 2003 for alleged transfers of missile-related equipment or technology to an undisclosed recipient.

Thanks, I like Shooting the SKS.  I am not sure who imported the Russian SKS's, and I dont have mine close by to go and look either
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
century has imported all the SKSs, KBI also imported russian ones.

they all make good shooters, the russians are more collectable and nicer, asking prices are as high as 500bux, some people are also trying to collect the russian ones based the factory that it came out of. the stamping on the reciever cover is the symbol for the factory that built it.

dont remember if the chinese barrels are pinned and the russian are screwed in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
they all make good shooters, the russians are more collectable and nicer, asking prices are as high as 500bux, some people are also trying to collect the russian ones based the factory that it came out of. the stamping on the reciever cover is the symbol for the factory that built it.
quote]

Thats why I didnt get the one I saw, the cover had been changed.  they wanted $250 but I expect I could have gotten them down abit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at this...

Tech data is your friend. www.northcapepubs.com/

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Get both.  The Russian is more collectible, more interesting, and may be more accurate.  The Chinese models are cheap (although not as cheap as the current Yugos).  There are at least 5 national types of SKSs available in the USA: Russian (Soviet), Romanian, Chinese, Yugoslavian, and Albanian.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top