Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2001 3:14:26 PM EDT
What is the deal with these damn guns? It took me an hour and a half to file fit a stupid gas tube. I am surprised that 7.62x39 even chambers in SKS with this much variation in parts specs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey,
isn't it about time to change that pic to its a sks, 10/22 and .38, THATS ALL!!
c-rock
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm

I picked up a Norinco SKS for about a hundred bucks last year. NIB

Out of the box I was shooting pop cans at 100 yards with no problems.

It will never make MOA but it is ok for plinking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was that "looseness" that made them so reliable?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Imbro:

I have owned many versions of the famed SKS.

Some have been a down right pain in the arse and some, like the one i have now, quite reliable.

Presently I have a pre-89 in un-issued form.

It is a jewel and very fun to shoot.

Congrats on getting into the rifle world......a bit more that is ha ha!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps the Russians never heard of Eli Whitney.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#8]
It ain't my gun. I got stuck with a synthetic jungle stock because I never bought a SKS after I found out it was $400 for a thrashed one. So one of them said they would buy the stock and pay me for the install on one of their guns.

Anyway, the guy wanted one of those Tapco gas tubes installed and thinking it would be a drop in part I said OK.

I think $10 I was offered for install is a wee low for the 3 hours of stock fitting, which I still haven't finished, and 1 1/2 hours for fitting the gas tube. By the time I get done I will probably have made .75 an hour!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#9]
SKS=reliability.

Most of the time.
+
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Imbro, who the hell is they/them? They tricked you into fitting the SKS and stripping Glocks.I am building a fence and was wondering if you'd come over. I think I have a few more suckers and I think $0.75 is a deal for laborers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
They are people I know who are so non-mechanically inclined, changing a lightbulb is a difficult task for them. If I don't help out, then bad things happen.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know what a Norinco SKS in beautiful condition (with a spike bayonet) will go for? I'm thinking of dumping mine and using the $$$ to buy some AR stuff (Comp M, RIS, etc.).

Yeah, yeah. I know I won't get enough to buy both items! Too bad... [:(]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
First, congratulations on the new job.

Now I have a ditch that needs digging...
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Only good thing with SKS is its price.
Well, ok, it is also good for plinking Talebanis.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone know what a Norinco SKS in beautiful condition (with a spike bayonet) will go for? I'm thinking of dumping mine and using the $$$ to buy some AR stuff (Comp M, RIS, etc.).

Yeah, yeah. I know I won't get enough to buy both items! Too bad... [:(]
View Quote
i saw one at the fun show for 200 bucks sounds about right
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
How come I can't find any for $200!!!! The ones I saw were in downright shitty shape and were $300 with no bayonets!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How come I can't find any for $200!!!! The ones I saw were in downright shitty shape and were $300 with no bayonets!
View Quote

A Bay Area store has the romanian ones advertised at least once a month for $189.  I looked at them and they are not the greatest but still pretty good for that price and they have the bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I will see if I can post some pics of the progress (or lack of) I am having with this project.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok I got the crossbolt removal tool today and after another 2 hours of filing I got the entire action to fit in the stock, sans the crossbolt. It looks like I am going to have to redrill the hole and move the crossbolt more than 1/8" forward.

The new problem I ran into is when disengaging the safety, the lever gets stuck (like a 2 stage trigger) about 3/4 of the way and has to be pulled again to the rear to completely turn it off. The trigger assembly fits a little tight so maybe this could be the problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Total time so far 6.5 hours which means I am now at $1.53/hr.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
In Canada we buy chinese SKS's for about 150$ each or 5 for 600$ canadian. Unless its a yugo SKS, higher quality = higher price.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Imbro, who the hell is they/them? They tricked you into fitting the SKS and stripping Glocks.I am building a fence and was wondering if you'd come over. I think I have a few more suckers and I think $0.75 is a deal for laborers.
View Quote

FDCGH'S!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

A Bay Area store has the romanian ones advertised at least once a month for $189.  I looked at them and they are not the greatest but still pretty good for that price and they have the bayonet.
View Quote

You must be talking about Traders. I now hear that the new Yugo SKS' might make it into the US. But It'll be more than the anticipated $260 or so. I guess I'll just wait for it sine I believe will be worth it! The pictures look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Only good thing with SKS is its price.
Well, ok, it is also good for plinking Talebanis.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree.  For $275 I bought an unissued Russina SKS w/ a beautiful stock and perfect barrel!!  Granted, you can't really put a decent scope on it but I have won many range bets out shooting Mini 14/30's with it that cost twice as much.  It always fires, wonderfully balanced, stronger than needed, cheap ammo, easy to clean, great accesories available and replacement parts(if ever needed) are dirt cheap!!

Allin all, the SKS is an excellent SHTF/plinker rifle that I would can use for hunting any creature from a squirrel to a large deer.

In short---[b]I love mine!![/b] [heavy]

sgtar15

PS Imbroglio, if you live in NORCAL send me an e-mail, I know a place that has excellent conditions russian SKS rifles for around $300.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You must be talking about Traders. I now hear that the new Yugo SKS' might make it into the US. But It'll be more than the anticipated $260 or so. I guess I'll just wait for it sine I believe will be worth it! The pictures look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!
View Quote

Yeah, Traders.  Not always the best people to deal with but damn you can get some good deals if you wait for the right ads.

Well, damn, I'll just have to keep waiting.  I would probably bite up to 400 but not more than that, and only if they are in the new condition reported.

I knew I should have bought more than one russian one for $150 at the gun shows in '94.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok here are the pics of my progress.

Byoo-tee-ful Russian wood stocked SKS.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ve/Mm/TN/M134640.jpg[/img]

Just file fitting the front of the Chicom jungle stock took me 2 hours! Another couple hours filing the reciever/magazine area.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/030/4Q/il/in/N032477.jpg[/img]

The recoil lug on the receiver can be plainly seen in the crossbolt hole. I am going to have to drill out the hole farther forward and use epoxy putty to secure the crossbolt.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/033/7b/6S/cm/UB84051.jpg[/img]

Here is the 2 stage safety. I dunno what is causing the lever to bind in this position.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/038/qI/h9/J2/UE77746.jpg[/img]

And here is the SKS in the Chicom jungle stock.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/BW/Uo/u6/HC73470.jpg[/img]

What I have left to do is some more fitting of the aftermarket gas tube (not shown), fix the crossbolt, fill in some gaps with epoxy putty and then finally refinish the stock.

That guy better be paying me more than $10 for all of this damn work or I am going to add test fire at tightwad biped to the list of things to do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Imbroglio, wouldn't it have been easier to remove the original gas tube from the wood and used it?

DaMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top