Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:07:22 PM EDT
How vulnerable is your geographic area to a Katrina equivalent FUBAR?
Looting, death, destruction?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:10:31 PM EDT
You said the "L" word.

My area is susceptible to tornados now and then. Other than that, I'm good. I'm not even close enough to a train track to cause concern.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:13:14 PM EDT
I think it would come out of the blue. Some inderect cause and effect type happening
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:13:17 PM EDT
Holy crap yes.

Unfortunately I live 2 miles from the border to Detroit, and work close to the border as well.

I have had extensive and explicit nightmares based on getting home should the S hit the F.

(and I'm working on getting out of my situation but the soonest I can move is probably next Spring... I'm working to that end, anyway)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:15:10 PM EDT
Anywhere is vulnerable to something, floods, earthquakes, drought etc. We are all only one disaster from anarchy and looting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:17:57 PM EDT by echo459]
I am in central Oregon. I dont think I have to worry much about a local natural disaster. Mybe a volcano eruption, severe drought or smelly hippie types.

ETA. Fire
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:16:16 PM EDT
Where I'm at now. I'd be screwed. Say a terrorist org. detonates a bomd in NYC, I'm on Long Island, and we'd be cut off essentially.

Where I'm going, Fort. Collins, Colorado. Probablymuch less likely to be directly affected by anything major.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:16:19 PM EDT
SYSTEM MESSAGE <LOCKED>

Hey, it's bound to happen eventually right?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:17:20 PM EDT by DzlBenz]
WHEN the big earthquake hits the New Madrid fault and half of St. Louis is on fire and Memphis is washed down the river, Kansas City and Chicago will become overrun with hundreds of thousands of refugees.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:17:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
Holy crap yes.

Unfortunately I live 2 miles from the border to Detroit, and work close to the border as well.

I have had extensive and explicit nightmares based on getting home should the S hit the F.

(and I'm working on getting out of my situation but the soonest I can move is probably next Spring... I'm working to that end, anyway)

Keep working. Detroit is an explicit nightmare
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:17:47 PM EDT
I live about 35 miles south of the Umatilla Army Depot. That's where they're incenerating toxic weapons while we speak. If the SHTF and the winds are blowing favorably society could break down all it wants, I'd be long gone. But then you have to realize I live in a very remote area.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:17:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:18:10 PM EDT by TheCynic]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
You said the "L" word.

We obviously need a word filter for these boards.
"looter" could be replaced with "Mr. Greenjeans"

I'm glad that the NG is shooting Mr. Greenjeans on sight.

See, now no one is offended.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:18:07 PM EDT
Would not be as bad here. Outside the zone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:20:33 PM EDT
My area is susceptible to rising taxes and occasional large groups of mindless zombies roaming the streets (ie: democrat protestors)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:20:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shootemup:
Where I'm at now. I'd be screwed. Say a terrorist org. detonates a bomd in NYC, I'm on Long Island, and we'd be cut off essentially.

Where I'm going, Fort. Collins, Colorado. Probablymuch less likely to be directly affected by anything major.

Fort Collins or bust I say. I was born there and hope by the grace of God I can die there a salty old man.IM me for info about the town id be glad to help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:20:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCynic:

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
You said the "L" word.

We obviously need a word filter for these boards.
"looter" could be replaced with "Mr. Greenjeans"

I'm glad that the NG is shooting Mr. Greenjeans on sight.

See, now no one is offended.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:22:00 PM EDT
Asside from blizzards, ice storms, or Canadian
invasion, I am about as safe as anywhere in the
states.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:23:00 PM EDT
All it would take here in VA would be a dirty bomb or other attack on DC/NOVA and we will be seeing hords of people trying to make their way into the SW VA mountains.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:23:55 PM EDT
I doubt my area would flood, but tornadoes are a real scenario. Luckily F4s and 5s are quite rare, especially here, but a direct hit of an F5 on any city would not be a good thing...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:24:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
WHEN the big earthquake hits the New Madrid fault and half of St. Louis is on fire and Memphis is washed down the river, Kansas City and Chicago will become overrun with hundreds of thousands of refugees.

Oh to hell with them. I'm 7 fucking MILES from that fault. Before that I was 35 miles from the Pine Bluff arsenal. You know, where they store a HUGE portion of our countries chem/bio weapons. And where they are incinerating them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:25:28 PM EDT
Id have to say the great plains/rocky mountain States are the way to go.

ie. Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:26:04 PM EDT
I hope people will learn from this and stop calling us a bunch of nuts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:26:27 PM EDT
Interesting you should ask. About a week ago I saw a "worst case" scenario of a category 5 tornado hit in Dallas. Looked much like NOLA.

And I've seen future looters roaming around downtown. They keep asking me for money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:26:45 PM EDT
Seattle:

Earthquake.
Eruption. (St. Helens or Ranier)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:28:46 PM EDT
Looks like all of the SE may now be suspectible to fallout indirectly from Katrina.

Rumors are floating around ATL that there will be no gas by next week. It has already gone up 20% in the last 48-72 hours, which is just the beginning.

People are starting to show signs of early panic.

It's going to be interesting..............
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:29:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HighCaliber:
Seattle:

Earthquake.

Hell yea.
That area is scary for that reason enough
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:30:34 PM EDT
August 24 1992 Andrew Miami, Florida, a total collapse but no one would admit it, no electricity, no water, no cash, no gas, impossible to drive from the debris, widespread looting and mayhem, Florida National Guard was overwhelmed it took a while for the 82nd Airborne to even contol the situation when they arrived two weeks after....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:34:24 PM EDT

Moving out to my town, if you have any questions pm me. We are safe here in Colorado.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:34:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gsd-Rocky:

Holy crap yes.

Keep working. Detroit is an explicit nightmare

Yeah no doubt.

Hopefully this coming Spring, I'm outta there and if all goes well, to a more remote area (from D-town) that has freshwater lakes nad whatnot.

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:53:30 PM EDT by Q3131A]
Could it happen here?

Sure. But the largest demographic in the county are retirees over 65. So, I'n not too worried about the local Walgreens being looted for Geritol.

ETA: I'm outa here with a Cat 2+
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By imkrazed:

Moving out to my town, if you have any questions pm me. We are safe here in Colorado.

Dont forget anyone with nuclear missles has at least one of them aimed at NORAD in CO Springs, Co
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:39:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:45:11 PM EDT
There is mainly one type of person that loots. There are very few here. If SHTF in Milwaukebabwe, a bunch might move this way.

That's what planned defensive positions and range cards are for.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT by newracer]

Fort Collins or bust I say. I was born there and hope by the grace of God I can die there a salty old man.

IM me for info about the town id be glad to help.

Already in the Fort and don't plan on leaving!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:48:58 PM EDT
I am in Atlanta. I have heard from the news that in some stations gas is up to $5 a gallon and is limited to 2 gallons a customer.

If this city runs out of gas and our transport system is crippled - read: FOOD - then I am getting the hell out and making my way to Athens.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:55:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:59:08 PM EDT
Already in the Fort and don't plan on leaving! had
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigscrun:

Originally Posted By HighCaliber:
Seattle:

Earthquake.

That is just the beginning:

Volcano:
Mt. St. Helens
Mt. Rainier
Earthquakes
Nuke Strike:
Bangor
Fort Lewis
Mchord AFB
Bremerton ship yards
Everett Naval Station
Whibey Island
Port of Seattle
Port of Tacoma
Downtown Seattle
Social unrest:
remember WTO?

Seattle and the PNW could be real fucked real quick

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:24:30 PM EDT
Utah is an interesting state for SHTF. The most likely scenario would involve an earthquake.

As for the aftermath, that would depend on the local demographics. Areas with a heavy LDS population would have plenty of emergency supplies to last a month easily. Also, the LDS population would organize into it's own government overnight until society/order is restored.

The parts of Utah that I'd worry about would be neighborhoods with less than 50% LDS population. Fortunately many LDS people understand the 2nd Amendment better than the average American and could organize working militia forces in less than an hour's time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:25:49 PM EDT
I'm about 45 miles from Pittsburgh, so I'd have a few days before people got here on foot. Tornadoes do some damage here but it's sporadic, you can go to the next town to get food. Blizzards, sometimes you're homebound for a few days but they usually get it cleared out pretty quick.

We're pretty well armed but I don't think it will come to that out here in the boonies.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:30:09 PM EDT
I live in the Saddleback valley. An area not prone to floods, mudslides, wildfires, or tornados. We get an occasional earthquake, but they are mild, no major faults like Northridge or San Fran. It is as disaster proof as any place in north America can be.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 2:35:07 PM EDT by AR15fan]

Holy crap yes.

Unfortunately I live 2 miles from the border to Detroit...

Slight risk of tornadoes, major risk of ice storms there. Glad I moved away from SE Michigan.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:36:11 PM EDT

The parts of Utah that I'd worry about would be neighborhoods with less than 50% LDS population. Fortunately many LDS people understand the 2nd Amendment better than the average American and could organize working militia forces in less than an hour's time.

BS!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:38:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shane333:
Utah is an interesting state for SHTF. The most likely scenario would involve an earthquake.

As for the aftermath, that would depend on the local demographics. Areas with a heavy LDS population would have plenty of emergency supplies to last a month easily. Also, the LDS population would organize into it's own government overnight until society/order is restored.

EDIT: HEAPS OF BS!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:42:22 PM EDT

EDIT: HEAPS OF BS!!!

Why BS? If you're going to call BS, explain yourself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:44:44 PM EDT
Looting is a mute issue.

Food - I can say NO, I'm not prepared in the food dept.

...actually, I'm not prepared for a SHTF situation. Well, minus the "looters"

although with a few days warning, I would be more than ready.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:54:37 PM EDT

EDIT: HEAPS OF BS!!!hy

First of all LDS dont have enough beer and tobaccohaveExept with an emphasis on the sheeple quotiant, hence the "LDS"

Sorry for the offence, just my opinion, but I have been around and thats my take.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 3:11:32 PM EDT by napalm]
Hmmm.. in Arizona?

Drought
localized flash flooding (it'd be hard to achieve Katrina-scale with that though)
border unrest
wildfires (Rodeo-Chediski)
typhoon (I suppose it's theoretically possible that a typhoon could fire up in the Pacific, head up the Gulf of California, make landfall and wipe out Yuma and knock the snot out of Phoenix.)
Site Staff could ban everyone in Arizona for saying t@nk
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:08:25 PM EDT
As of today I now have enough food and water to last two weeks. That is scant but it is pretty good for Midtown ATL.

I think I freaked out some of the people in the grocery store tonight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Roland_O_Gilead:
As of today I now have enough food and water to last two weeks. That is scant but it is pretty good for Midtown ATL.

I think I freaked out some of the people in the grocery store tonight.

Freaking people out at the store is one of my faorite past times.hug.gif
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top