Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2002 10:13:27 PM EDT
Ok, I've seen The Stand, Road warrior, etc...what are some good ones about nuke holocaust, bio warfare, etc?  Oh, not The Day after, although the image of those charcoal briquet people is still with me to this day...LOL.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Dawn. It's a little outdated now, but still a good flick. There's another one, I think it's called Civil War II or 2nd Civil War or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, Red Dawn is the classic SHTF movie I suppose, bought it on DVD a few weeks ago.  There are a couple about SAC bomber crews, but I can't remember the name of them..one is 4 past midnight, or something like that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Alot of the old classic horror flicks fall into this category:

-Last Man on Earth-based on "I am Legend", much  better than The Omega Man....IMHO

-George Romeros Living Dead movies....Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
There is one from the 80's that I vaguely remember called "Massive Retaliation". It was a SHTF movie with 3 families bugging out and trying to get to their safe house when WW3 starts. They also fend of thugs trying to take supplies. IIRC some of their kids get seperated and have to find a way to get there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are forgeting the worst one of all: The Postman. God that flick sucked.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
THE DAY AFTER

Came out in the early 80's I think.  About the aftermath of a nuclear volley...

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The Postman wasn't forgotten, it was ignored.   Great book, mediocre movie.  Check this link out to see what David Brin (author of the novel) had to say about the movie.

[url]http://www.kithrup.com/brin/postmanmoviearticle.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
"Doctor Strangelove"
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
"A Boy And His Dog". Early Don Johnson sci fi/shtf type flick.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
What about Dawn of the dead, Day of the dead, all of the other zombie movies...The Blob, Body snatchers...I know totally unrealistic, but fun to watch [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The Omega Man with Charlton Heston.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I was going to add "Dr. Strangelove" and "A boy and his dog".  POE!!  Get the DVD version of Strangelove.

All the above are good, but none of you thought of all the Planet of the Apes films?  Get the DVD version of the first film and then listen to it in French while you have a few drinks.

Escape from New York, on the fringe but plenty of gun play!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Operatorerror - Good memory.  A "Boy and His Dog" hasn't been out in a long time.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
"The Quiet Earth"
"Damnation Alley"
"Escape From New York"
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are a couple about SAC bomber crews, but I can't remember the name of them..one is 4 past midnight, or something like that?
View Quote

'By Dawn's Early Light' is coming to mind.  Its the one where Powers Boothe (I think) is the pilot and they decide not to drop their bombs?  It also where the VP takes power becuase Washington is nuked and they think the President is dead.  Then, when he is actually alive, the VP refuses to give up power and they end up ramming the VPs plane in mid-air.

Do I have the title right?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I happened to stumble across this one the other day..."Reign of Fire."

http://bventertainment.go.com/movies/reignoffire/index.html

Watch the trailer and the behind the scenes bit.  Given the subject matter of the movie, it has strong potential to be very, very bad.  But, I am optimistic.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are a couple about SAC bomber crews, but I can't remember the name of them..one is 4 past midnight, or something like that?
View Quote

'By Dawn's Early Light' is coming to mind.  Its the one where Powers Boothe (I think) is the pilot and they decide not to drop their bombs?  It also where the VP takes power becuase Washington is nuked and they think the President is dead.  Then, when he is actually alive, the VP refuses to give up power and they end up ramming the VPs plane in mid-air.

Do I have the title right?
View Quote

yep, good movie.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#19]
All good suggestions, some of those I've seen and couldn't remember the name of.  Damnation Alley was one, the infamous cockroach dinner scene...LOL.  By Dawns Early Light was the other one I was trying to think of...and the Planet of the Apes movies are good too.  I've seen Omega Man quite a few times, but some of these are new, and I'll have to try and find them...anyone else have suggestions?  Trying to figure out which movies to stock the bomb shelter with!  (just kidding)[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#21]
"Hell comes to Frog Town"

Starring Rowdy Roddy Piper.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Showtimes "On The Beach."
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#24]
isnt there a remake of dawn of the dead coming out soon?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Check out "Threads".
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd nominate Death Wish III. Just saw it on TV a few days ago. Massive numbers of crooks invade a NY neighberhood, and are blown away by massive firepower. The cops are too busy taking guns away from elderly couples trying to defend themselves to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I almost forgot, Panic In Year Zero! A very good SHTF movie, even though it is dated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dawn of the Dead.  Definately.

My brother and I used to watch this over and over again from behind a big bowl of carmel popcorn.

View Quote

Woo hoo! I have 3 different cuts of Dawn! Can I come over so we can watch it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad I'm not the only zombie freak here. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
It's been awhile since I saw "On the Beach".  It's from the late 50's, and Australia received the least damage.  The telegraph signal scene in California was very clever.

Speaking of SHTF plots, it's a wonder there hasn't been any movies based on the "From the ashes(?)" books.  I think the writer's name in Paul Johnstone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Yea, the Out of the Ashes books might make good movies, they might have to reduce the corny factor though, although I liked them they are a little out there...lol.  The number one book I'd like to see made into a movie is Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.  It's only SHTF for the main character of the book, but the question is who would make a good Bob Lee Swagger?  Time to Hunt would make a great movie too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dawn of the Dead.  Definately.

My brother and I used to watch this over and over again from behind a big bowl of carmel popcorn.

View Quote

Woo hoo! I have 3 different cuts of Dawn! Can I come over so we can watch it?
View Quote

What's the director's cut like?
View Quote

I dunno. I have the original video release, the version with the extra footage at the police dock and other places, and the version similar to the extra footage version but with the soundtrack changed.

There is a rumor that Romero shot an ending where Peter shoots himself, Fran kills herself by sticking her head into the blades of the helicopter, and the credits roll as sunrises and the chopper sputters out of fuel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top