Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:40:03 AM EDT
Fox just reported that Sharks have been spotted swimming in the streets in New Orleans....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW!!!!  Be gators next.....though they are probably already crawling around.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
<knock knock>

"Who is it?"

"Candygram."

"Who is it???"

"Amway."

"Who is it?"

"Land Shark"

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
<knock knock>

"Who is it?"

"Candygram."

"Who is it???"

"Amway."

"Who is it?"

"Land Shark"

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fox just reported that Sharks have been spotted swimming in the streets in New Orleans....

Link please!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]
that should slow the looters down a little
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Woohoo, watch the looters fight Jaws for their TV.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm rooting for the sharks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link please!

Was on TV.  Have not seen it in print yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...it gets worse.

I, for one, would like to see footage of sharks swimming in city streets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm rooting for the sharks.

What was once a human became a looter...and then...A MEAL!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool! Freshwater sharks!

Wait...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't New Orleans being flooded with fresh water from Lake Ponchetrain?  Reporters aren't the bright bunch.  Those idiots may have seen cat fish cruising through & mistaken them for sharks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw it too.  It was "an unconfirmed report" of one shark.

The talking heads on Fox and Friends are idiots.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Isn't New Orleans being flooded with fresh water from Lake Ponchetrain?  Reporters aren't the bright bunch.  Those idiots may have seen cat fish cruising through & mistaken them for sharks.

actually they are saying chances are they are from the aquarium, and bull sharks and some other types can live in fresh water just fine and attacks have been documented in fresh water rivers close to the ocean.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Lake Ponchartrain is brackish and all kinds of fish can survive there. I would think most fish wouldn't want to hang out in the city long due to all the gas and other chemicals in the water.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Lake pontchartrain is not exactly 'fresh' water, it is a brackish lake, and the second larget salt water lake in the US. It would be perfectly habitable for smaller sharks. I dunno if it is deep enough to have any larger sharks, and even if there are larger sharks in the lake or they got pushed in with the storm surge, thats the last thing I'd be worried about. Disease from the nasty sewage water, alligators, poisonous snakes and mosquitoes would all be above sharks on my list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually they are saying chances are they are from the aquarium, and bull sharks and some other types can live in fresh water just fine and attacks have been documented in fresh water rivers close to the ocean.
www.lifewithageek.com/gallery/albums/neworleans/sharks.sized.jpg

crap, i fogot about the aquariam - they have pirranah there!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.lifewithageek.com/gallery/albums/neworleans/sharks.sized.jpg

crap, i fogot about the aquariam - they have pirranah there!

And those white gators!  What about the rare white gators?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope the New Orleans PD has a man like Tackleberry they can put on this case.

"Ceast and desist.....and leave the swimming area NOW, mister!" (said as he cocks a .44 magnum and pushes it into the shark's nose)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#20]

And those white gators!  What about the rare white gators?

How could they be important? They're white!  Everyone knows the White Gator stands for nothin' but OOOOpression!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#21]
bull sharks are man eaters, and CAN live in freash water
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Bull Sharks (and some others) are perfectly happy in brackish and, sometimes,  fresh water. Bull's have been known to swim pretty far up rivers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

"Ceast and desist.....and leave the swimming area NOW, mister!" (said as he cocks a .44 magnum and pushes it into the shark's nose)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Bull Sharks (and some others) are perfectly happy in brackish and, sometimes,  fresh water. Bull's have been known to swim pretty far up rivers.

Yeesh, that is one tidbit of info I did not know.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Cool! Freshwater sharks!

Wait...

Bullsharks have been caught very deep inland on the Mississippee river.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Most salt water fish can and do live in fresh water when necessary.

Florida's Crystal River is fresh water spring fed and leads to the gulf. During the winter the sea trout, red fish, jack fish, etc can all be caught in the headwaters which are warmer than the gulf.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#27]
In New Jersey during the month of July 1916, two swimmers were attacked by a shark in a fresh water tributary to the Atlantic.  
The attacks occurred 2.5 miles up tiny Matawan Creek.  Apparently quite common for Bull Sharks to travel this far inland in search of food.  IIRC, both swimmers died, and the shark was never caught.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Just curious but what would one use to shoot a shark?  Would my .44 slow her down or should I keep my .340 weatherby handy?

Patty

*ETA* when I was a kid in California a shark was caught and killed in the Colorado.  No known deaths that I know of.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]
The freshwater sharks of Lake Nicaragua turned out to be nothing more than Carcharhinus leucas, (The Bull Shark).  They breed in the summer months and prefer to do it in brackish estuaries.

They are a shallow water species found to thrive in depths of less than 3 feet and have been recorded travelling up the Mississipi as far as Illinois.

In terms of attacks on humans, they take the number three spot right behind the Great White and Tiger.

If there is carrion in the flood water - there will be sharks looking to feed.  It's Mother Nature's full package deal in effect.

I'm thinking Brenneke KO slugs would be a good way to go.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Last night a shark was "reportedly seen" swimming up the highway on one news channel. This morning all of them are chattering that a shark was seen swimming down the streets.
An animal expert was asked if it was possible, he said it was possible but a bigger problem would be from snakes and gators.

I won't believe anything unless I saw a picture or video. The only sharks I've seen on TV are the ones in front of the cameras holding microphones. It's a feeding frenzy for the newspeople.

On a side note, it's sad to see all the landmarks from my childhood destroyed on the MS GUlf Coast. I took my kids to the Gulfarium a few summers ago, they are too young to remember it. It's destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Just curious but what would one use to shoot a shark?  Would my .44 slow her down or should I keep my .340 weatherby handy?

Patty

*ETA* when I was a kid in California a shark was caught and killed in the Colorado.  No known deaths that I know of.

Where's that aquabump thread???
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Let's see here:

* Hurricane
* Looters
* Sharks

Yep, it doesn't take very long for the veneer of civilization to rub away and expose how dangerous the world is.

Who said "The world is a cold place, you gotta pack your own heat?"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm thinking Brenneke KO slugs would be a good way to go.

For the sharks or for the looters?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeesh, that is one tidbit of info I did not know.

Yep. Here's the wikipedia for it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_shark
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Where's that aquabump thread???

No Joke!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Turn on your speakers and click here:

Click
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

didn't know lawyers could swim...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
In New Jersey during the month of July 1916, two swimmers were attacked by a shark in a fresh water tributary to the Atlantic.  
The attacks occurred 2.5 miles up tiny Matawan Creek.  Apparently quite common for Bull Sharks to travel this far inland in search of food.  IIRC, both swimmers died, and the shark was never caught.

It's happened several times in fresh water tributaries in NJ.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#40]
This should help get rid of all of those dead bodies floating around.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I hope they weren't the sharks that belong to this guy...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, sharks...

what odds would you give in a Gator vs Shark slugfest?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Jeez. Everyone knows the only way to be sure about killing a shark is to stick an O2 tank in it's mouth and shoot it with an M1 Garand. It's the only way to be sure.... It will blow the shark up.

I saw it in Jaws.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Great, now even the sharks are going to start looting.

Next we'l see a pic of one carrying a 12 pack out of Winn Dixie.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
that should slow the looters down a little

Quoted:
Jeez. Everyone knows the only way to be sure about killing a shark is to stick an O2 tank in it's mouth and shoot it with an M1 Garand. It's the only way to be sure.... It will blow the shark up.

I saw it in Jaws.....

For the record, that was a SCUBA tank, which is filled with about 80 cubic feet of Grade E compressed air at 3000 psi, same oxygen concentration as the atmosphere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

David Graf 4/16/50-4/7/01
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Spearguns work underwater. Normal guns dont go past a couple feet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top