Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 6:49:33 AM EDT
SEALs & Swift boats (link)

Apparently, the latest version of Kerry's Cambodia Chronicles includes the insertion of Navy SEALs by Swift boat into Cambodia in the early part of 1969. Well, I am a former Navy SEAL that served in the 1990s, my father in law is a former SEAL and he served in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam in 1970. I spoke with him about the likelihood that this story could be correct. My contention was that Swift boats were too large to be routinely used as an insertion platform for SEALs.

SEALs typically used the Medium SEAL Support Craft (MSSC) or the LSSC. My dad's platoon, had one of each assigned. These boats were designed by SEALs and specially built for the Teams to use on clandestine riverine insertions at night of usually no more than 8 operators. Swift boats operated in groups as independent entities, and not as insertion/extraction platforms for small units.

Jim Rassman's ODA was probably on there because SF A teams don't have organic boat assets and were using the Swifties because they had no other means of getting where they needed to go. Also, it is my understanding that the engagement with Kerry getting the Bronze Star took place during the day, which leads me to believe the insertion mission was either a large infantry force led by the SF guys, or a civic action type mission for which SF is well known.

Waterborne infiltrations done illegally into a "neutral" country if performed would be done by small groups of operators (less than 8), at night, in a small tributary, by a boat with a very shallow draft and jacuzzi, not propeller drive. To do otherwise, would be ridiculous.

SEALs also did not trust anyone outside of their immediate peer group. They developed their own intel by snatching high ranking VC out of their beds in the middle of the night. They did not share this info outside the platoon, boat guys, and Seawolves helo crews (close fire support assets). They learned early on that passing intel up the chain was a sure way to be compromised on future operations.

In order to get permission to conduct an illegal incursion into Cambodia by Swift boat the following must occur: 1. Extremely fresh intel of a high value target (think U.S. POW, or VC chieftain). 2. Take that intel outside the group and up to intel at a higher level (risking compromise) in order to obtain boat support from the Swifties to go into Cambodia. That is extremely unlikely to the point of absurdity.

Furthermore, neither myself or my father in law knows anyone who was inserted anywhere by a Swift boat during Vietnam. It just wasn't done. It wasn't something SEALs wanted, and it wasn't something Swifties did.

Bottom Line......Kerry is a liar.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
[
Bottom Line......Kerry is a liar.

Hell, we know that!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Funny how the stories change --------------- well who cares I never believe any of it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
That's it you've broken it wide open!

Clearly John O'Neal is doing this all because the ex-wife of one of his law partners was appointed to the appeals court in 1995.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess that W made O'Neil debate Kerry back in 71 as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Kerry's story keeps changing, and the Swift vets stays the same....that tells me all I need to know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Kerry's story keeps changing, and the Swift vets stays the same....that tells me all I need to know.

Exactly.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yep

Much easier to remember a story when it is truthfull
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
How "seared" can something be in your memory if you have to clarify and change almost all the details, anyway?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Never mind... Thought this was a Seals and Crofts thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top