Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:46:20 PM EST
That's a big change, but 4 bucks per season still sounds like a decent limit.

Just my take, but I don't know how it compares to other places as I don't hunt deer.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:11:26 PM EST
We have to draw for 1 deer tag per season.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:16:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:25:37 PM EST
Don't know if it's related, but I always wondered what the future effect would be of all the eco-hippy tree huggers entering the wildlife management programs at schools.

As they begin entering the workforce and advancing, I wonder how "hunting science" will change.

Used to be all those positions were filled by "good ole boys" from farms and hunting background.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:50:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By patchouli:
Don't know if it's related, but I always wondered what the future effect would be of all the eco-hippy tree huggers entering the wildlife management programs at schools.

As they begin entering the workforce and advancing, I wonder how "hunting science" will change.

Used to be all those positions were filled by "good ole boys" from farms and hunting background.

You are correct

Today's wildlife biologists do not hunt
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:17:27 AM EST
Here, depending on the part of the state you are hunting, there are NO limits on does, but 2 bucks w/gun, 2/bow,and 2 w/ML, so 6 bucks per year, per zone.
Must take 2 does before taking a second buck in each respective category,so if you kill 6 bucks in a zone, you should have, in theory, taken at least 6 does, or perhaps MANY more.
This is to increase take of does, to reduce total deer pop.
Otherwise, some guys would just hunt to kill bucks, and that is NOT the objective behind this management strategy.

Also have sika deer, with their own limits.

Some folks want to reduce the buck take, to move age structure towards higher % of older bucks in population.

Personally, I LOATHE the idea of telling someone that they MUST take a buck with a minimum spread or a minimum numebr of pts.
Nothing pisses me off more than hearing a kid, who has just taken his first buck, to say "it's ONLY a 6 pt" or "just a basket rack".
People hunt for different reasons, and have different standards. Doesn't need to be so tightly regulated, IMHO.

And yes, most newer biologists entering the field have NO background/experience in the field sports, and worse yet, many have no INTEREST in them as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:19:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By CRC:

Pretty wide brush you are painting with.
I hunt/fish/trap with a few younger, gov biologists.

But point taken: used to be about ALL did: less and less every year.
And some are even to the point of promoting only non-consumptive use.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:20:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:32:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dave15:

Very few hunt and trap and yet they set hunting and trapping regulations
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:34:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I don't know about the upstate, and further west, but I live within five miles if the state line, and I can't think of any reason whatsoever for putting a bag limit on bucks. The damned animals are becoming more of a nuisance all the time. The population seems to be growing in the South East part of the state, not declining.

It is to target the killing of does. You can shoot all the bucks you want, but you won't put any dent in the deer population. Thinning does is the only way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:36:06 AM EST
Limits are much lower in Colorado, one deer per year.

How much meat is four SC bucks? One mule deer will feed a family for a good long time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:52:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 6:53:44 AM EST by Kharn]
Come to Maryland if you want to hunt. Residents (don't recall the non-resident fee) pay $35 for 12 deer via bow, 12 with a muzzle loader and 12 with a rifle or shotgun. I hate hunting with my bumper, so kill all you can.

ETA: But that is one buck per weapon, after killing a doe you can purchase a second buck tag.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:02:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Come to Maryland if you want to hunt. Residents (don't recall the non-resident fee) pay $35 for 12 deer via bow, 12 with a muzzle loader and 12 with a rifle or shotgun. I hate hunting with my bumper, so kill all you can.

ETA: But that is one buck per weapon, after killing a doe you can purchase a second buck tag.

Kharn

That's after TWO does

And when we were split into 4 zones, you could limit in each
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:08:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 7:09:03 AM EST by Dave15]
Originally Posted By Dave15:

Very few hunt and trap and yet they set hunting and trapping regulations

Again, the percentage IS declining, but it is for ALL the population, not just biologists.
l have had some tag along trapping with me, and they LOVED it.
(had a guy last year, in his 20s, 6'5" and 275 and he was a freakin' MULE on my beaver line.
I'd load him up with 330s on the way in, and he'd tote my beaver back out- he would churn up a wake coming out with 2-4 40+ lbers in tow!)
Had a spot that was walk in only, almost a mile back, that I hadn't bothered with for years.
He earned his keep that week- hell, I even bought him lunch!)

Some Depts are overly politicized, but many still are not, and do put the interests of the resource first.
But I will concede that there are more and more eco-weenies every year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:25:46 AM EST
Just wait till those "eco-weenies" are all at the top level 'policy setting' positions.

Right now, a lot of them are only 5-10 years in (if I had to guess).

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:00:52 AM EST
We went to a 1 buck per season limit several years ago. This was designed to increase the number of trophy bucks and to encourage more doe harvesting. Still have plenty of does because you can't get hunters to harvest them. In my end of the state yoyu can take as many does as you can handle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:54:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:36:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I don't know about the upstate, and further west, but I live within five miles if the state line, and I can't think of any reason whatsoever for putting a bag limit on bucks. The damned animals are becoming more of a nuisance all the time. The population seems to be growing in the South East part of the state, not declining.

No doubt. I live in the Upstate and not a day goes by that I don't see one dead on the side of the road. Saw one get nailed a few weeks ago; truck sent it sailing almost hitting me. One almost ran into our formation run at the Academy a couple weeks ago. It was not unusual for me to see 10-15 of them in my yard when I lived in the city/suburbs. Now that I live in the country I don't see them as much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:40:33 AM EST
Most of my friends already do QDM so no big deal locally. I see this having a big potential effect in the lowcountry though. I expected to see an increase in doe days myself.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:43:12 AM EST
I work in LE. I would say that we average 2 car vs deer crashes per day in my area. We don't even investigate them. If the people need help, we will respond, but if not, we tell them to just call their insurance company. They should raise the limit on does if they are going to lower the limit on bucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:45:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kharn:

Kharn

Middle Tn is where it's at. Resident Sportsman's license is $136. Allows you to bow, muzzleloader and rifle hunt depending on season. 3 does a day every day from the last weekend of Sept to the 1st weekend of January. 3 bucks, but only 1 on any given day. So yeah our limit is around 315 or so.

Pmc
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:01:11 AM EST
In order to reduce population you need to shoot does. People hunt for antlers and with too many deer around, less deer have large antlers that hunters want.

People have to be encouraged to take doe and this means that the people hunting have to like consuming venison. Too many people seem too bothered these days to hunt deer for food, much less try to put four or five does in the freezer evey year. I shoot at least three doe every year and eat them all.

Nothing pisses me off more than a guy that takes a deer, finds out the rack isn't to his liking and abandons the meat it at the local processor. I am convinced that many hunters just want big antlers and don't really care about eating deer.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:01:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:44:37 AM EST
I hunt in SC. My "roommates" brother got 13 or 14 this year. Not sure how many our hunt club got. It didn't really put a dent in the deer population.

Why in the holy fuck don't they up the doe tags?!?!?!? My "roommate" says the motivation is larger bucks. My theory is they have some mamby pamby newly graduated, newly indoctrinated, person calling the shots now. I might be full of shit, but I would like to know the real answer.

This is the first I have heard of such a thing.

Goddamn Fuck!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:48:35 AM EST
If I could bag 4 bucks every year I'd never have to buy meat. That's a lot of venison. The bag limit in Illinois and WI is one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:50:48 AM EST
I just read the fucking ass link! I do not know of these "meetings" although I do not doubt them.

Welp, since they have 2 fucking game wardens in bft county, good luck enforcing it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:54:33 AM EST
Good for them.

In TN, we used to have a buck limit that worked out to over 10....maybe it was 11, 12, I don't remember.

Several years ago it got dropped to a total of 3. We now have much better age structure, and for goodness' sake, people, if you want meat, kill a doe. There's nothing 'manly' about shooting some itty-bitty buck just to say you 'got your buck' this year, much less killing a dozen per year.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:58:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By patchouli:

You are correct

That's a very ignorant statement.

I graduated in 2001. Had I continued to get a MS, which is what most state biologists have (at the minimum) I would have graduated in 2003 or 2004, so I can speak with a degree of authroity here when I say that, in meeting dozens at my own school and hundreds at various TWS events, the majority were still hunters or at least very pro-hunting.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:55:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Originally Posted By KyGolf:
We went to a 1 buck per season limit several years ago. This was designed to increase the number of trophy bucks and to encourage more doe harvesting. Still have plenty of does because you can't get hunters to harvest them. In my end of the state yoyu can take as many does as you can handle.

I really can't understand the "buck or bust" mentality. Hunting is hunting, and meat is meat. I just don't really care that much if it has antlers on its head. Sure - I'd love a trophy buck as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't pass up a doe at all...

I am a meat hunter myself. I enjoy shooting a big buck as much as the next guy, but it is not my primary focus. We have a dozen or so deer killed on the stretch of road I live on every year, usually 3 or 4 within 400 yards of my house. That is a lot of insurance claims.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:34:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 4:36:01 PM EST by SemperMO]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Originally Posted By KyGolf:

I really can't understand the "buck or bust" mentality. Hunting is hunting, and meat is meat. I just don't really care that much if it has antlers on its head. Sure - I'd love a trophy buck as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't pass up a doe at all...

My thoughts exactly! I don't really give 2 shits about the horns on the head, I want steaks, chili and other assorted venison to eat all year!

I was stationed in Beaufort for several years, and could not count on 2 hands how many deer I hit. Thank God I was driving my Bronco, and SC deer are about the size of German Shepards

Here in MO, for rifle season, you can get 1 any deer tag, and depending on the county, a bonus doe tag. Thats it. And it sucks.

ETA: had to remove a word, didnt sound right
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:48:49 PM EST
Oh joy. I've dodged several dozen deer in my Jeep the past few years, but only because of my excellent reaction time, and the fact I only half kind of a muffler(read, loud as fuck). Those hood magnets seem to love this area for some godforsaken reason.

<-Southern Beaufort County here.
Top Top