Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/24/2001 1:35:01 PM EDT
What is the process for getting a permit for these? Is it very hard to get, what is the criteria, etc.?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:00:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:32:31 PM EDT
Chuck, Does the same apply to shotguns as SBR? I am thinking about my M1S90. Can I put a pistol grip on it if it only has a 5 round capacity? This would save me from sacrificing my pre-ban HK marked M1S90. I would rather use my 26 barreled hunting shotgun as my platform for a SBR. 1*
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:18:39 PM EDT
I'm not too sure about the SBS, but it does'nt have a detacable mag, no FS and no bayo lug. My thinking is that you could add the pistol grip fill out the Form 1 and after approval stick the short bbl on it. Might ask the guys in the M-16/FA forum they would know for sure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:21:06 PM EDT
Crumabn, do the Form 1, and get approved, then install the short upper. I used the measurements for the 11.5" with a solid stock, have a 12" and 7.5" that I use also along with a collapsable stock I change back and forth. As to the interstate transport, do a 5320.20 for each state you plan to go to, as long as it is legal in the destination state. You can do a paper for 1 calender yr, that is what I have been doing since '98. I use my brother in-laws address as destination, I can travel freely back and forth any time during the year that I decide to go at the spur of the moment, then I shoot at the local ranges and other relatives property. I do mine for 01/01/XX-12/31/XX. Just remember to renew about a month ahead of time to be all set. feel free to e-mail, I beleive you said elsewhere you are south of Dayton, I be Troy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:32:44 PM EDT
as far as a SBS it still must comply with the crime bill. ie cant have a pistol grip and hold more than 5 rounds
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:09:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:58:51 AM EDT
Sorry Troy, should have read - "I live in Troy", sometimes I think faster than I type (peck)
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:18:33 AM EDT
Shotgun evil features are different from rifle evil features. Only Semi-Automatic Shotguns (not Pump) are subject to the 1994 Law. Also, if you go with an AOW, I have heard that it is exempted from the laws regarding Assault Weapons. As soon as I turn 21 (1 more year), I will check this out. But, an AOW would be a rifle built with no stock from a virgin lower and a having a vertical foregrip. An AOW Shotgun would be a Shotgun that came from the factory with a Pistol Grip and has been reduced below 18" Barrel/28" Overall. I would go with the AOW, personally. Advantages are: 1) AOWs have a $5 tax rather than a $200 tax. 2) AOWs fall into none of the categories of "Assault Weapons". I.E. An AOW AR-15 is not legally a rifle or a pistol and therefore is regulated by neither definition.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:25:37 AM EDT
You can take a factory (virgin) AR-15 Lower Receiver that has never been assembled and place a 7.5", 11.5", or 14.5" Upper Receiver on it. Make sure to use a Buffer Tube Rather Than A Stock. Also, you might look into Olympic Arms Pistol Buffers. They have a Buffer that doesn't stick out the back like most others do. Not sure whther or not it can be used on a Non OA Pistol Upper. When you are done place the Vertical Foregrip on the Gun and voila, you have an AOW. It can have a Flash Suppressor, Threaded Barrel, Grenade Launcher, Bayonet Lug, etc...or for that matter any non-nfa item. Unless, the gun is prohibited by 922(r) or the 1989 import ban. This would mostly apply to AK-47s, MP-5s, G-3s, FALs, etc... If you use 10 or less than 10 foreign parts it is no longer regulated by 922(r). I know for a fact that MP-5s, AK-47s, and SKSes have enough available American Parts to be built into a legal config.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:26:28 AM EDT
Oh, and don't forget: Do Not Build The Gun Until You Have An Approved Form 1 and Tax Paid Stamp in Hand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:28:05 AM EDT
cc48510: The making tax on an AOW is still $200, just like an SBR/SBS/silencer. However, the TRANSFER tax on subsequent exchanges is only $5.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:49:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Circuits: cc48510: The making tax on an AOW is still $200, just like an SBR/SBS/silencer. However, the TRANSFER tax on subsequent exchanges is only $5.
View Quote
Thanks, I had heard the tax in general was $5 on AOWs. It doesn't make much sense, but then again the NFA/GCA never made sense, becuase it is written by a bunch a idiots who call themselves Congress. OK, but you can get an AOW Shotgun rather cheaply anyways. They run a few hundred dollars. Slightly less than an entry-level AR-15.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:43:16 AM EDT
Does it get registered with the BATF, like a class III? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 11:56:08 AM EDT by SBR7_11]
Yes, transfer to you on a Form 4 (ATF 5320.4),, or made by you on a Form 1 (ATF 5320.1)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:15:16 PM EDT
Does a pre-ban that gets registered as an SBR stay a pre-ban? Or would registering an SBR be considered "manufacturing" after 1994?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:07:21 PM EDT
Registering a "Pre-Ban" rifle as a SBR can maintain "Pre-Ban" features, or you can go "Post" with the rifle's upper,,,,BUT, a SBR done with a "Post-Ban" rifle has to maintain "Post-Ban" features on the upper.
Top Top