Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/7/2001 11:32:42 PM EST
If I have a post-ban receiver only..which was bought as a receiver onl, never a fully assembled rifle..that was registered in Cali. by the deadline...Is it even possible to build it as a SBR? adam
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 12:37:39 AM EST
I don't believe that anywhere in Cali law it states that the registered receiver had to be complete. Only that the lower had to be registered. Alex
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:15:03 AM EST
california doesnt allow SBRs so you sh*t out of luck
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:10:15 PM EST
The only way to build that with a barrel less than 16" and be legal in California would be to get a Cali DOJ machinegun license ... but no, you couldn't make it full auto. Not to mention you have zero chance of getting the machinegun license from Sacramento. But if you could, you could build it as a semi-auto SBR and be legal. I've lived in Cali all my life, save military service, and been in and around the gun business since I was a teenager, and have met 3 people with Cali machinegun licenses.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:37:04 AM EST
The Caliban allows SBRs but it is severely restricted. If you want a SBR, your best bet is form a corporation catering to the movie industry. Many of the sleazy porn corporations in LA have applied and received such a permit.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:27:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/11/2001 8:22:04 AM EST by Dave_G]
CALIFORNIA PENAL CODE SECTIONS 12095 12095. (a) If it finds that it does not endanger the public safety, the Department of Justice may issue permits initially valid for a period of one year, and renewable annually thereafter, for the manufacture, possession, transportation, or sale of short-barreled shotguns or short-barreled rifles upon a showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit. No permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age. (b) [b]Good cause, for the purposes of this section, shall be limited to only the following: (1) The permit is sought for the manufacture, possession, or use with blank cartridges, of a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun, solely as props for a motion picture, television, or video production or entertainment event.[/b] (2) The permit is sought for the manufacture of, exposing for sale, keeping for sale, sale of, importation or lending of short-barreled rifles or short-barreled shotguns to the entities listed in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) of Section 12020 by persons who are licensed as dealers or manufacturers under the provisions of Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code, as amended, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:47:35 PM EST
Hmmmm....interesting....! I actually do work in the film industry here in Los Angles with both production and post-production as a supervisor and we do A LOT of action movies using high powered weapons. It just never occured to me! Anyone know the best way to apply and what to say...? Thanks! adam
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:40:14 AM EST
I can think of two approaches: call the CA DOJ and ask for a permit application, or find one of the sleazy prono producers and ask him. There are two of them that I knew of as I was looking into getting a permit. They just take them out of the safe now and then to use them as props in the movies. Maybe if you rent enough pornos, you can determine who these producers are and seek their advice. Like they say.... cops have the best guns and so do the prono producers.
Top Top