Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 11:43:14 PM EDT
What is the story with this $29/month service? Is it for real or crippled dsl?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Im a Splicer for SBC and we were dispatched on the DSL's when it was a new deal,  we would remove extra wire, change to a new pair "do what ever it takes" was what we were told. Now that things have setted down the "knock" waits for you to call and if things dont work because of distance or bunk cable they will cap you.  I had to fix my own pair and then call them back to take the cap off.  The standard speed nis 1.5 down and 3 somthin up, which is what you will get if you live within the 16k feet from the C.O. and your pair is good to go.  SBC has added fiber pairs to some areas so in that case the distance isnt an issue.  If youd like a better "outside tech helper" IM me.    
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Uh, knock, cap, pairs?
Does it require an additional phone line or something?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have SBC DSL and I love it.

Speeds depend on which package you choose and how close to the CO(wire center) you are.

Package deals are not the same in all regions.
In St.Louis, for the lower price, your speed will be 384-1.536.

This is the speed between your DSL modem and the DSLAM equipment in the CO, not the speed between you and ar15.com.

I think it's good stuff.
You'll never go below 384, if that happens, you'll loose sync, so it's going to be at least 384.
Mine is 1.536 and is wonderful.
It's on all the time, and it doesn't busy your phone line.
F*ck the cable company !
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
NO!!!!!!!!

Cable wouldnt be unavailable for about 6 months.
So I did DSL
First night I had it...couldnt get the shit to work.
They had me on the help line for more than 4 hours trying to figure shit out. And of course they tried to blame my PC...format and clean install... Bullshit. THEY SUCK!!! I went off being I was in the networking business and they felt stupid. anyway
A buddy who is a telecommunications guru got on the phone with the super and told him to shove it up his ass..and will never promote the product to anyone....be it as it may..
Went back to 56K and got Roadrunner cable when it cam to my AO....go cable..no issues..no problems..no hassle....

[size=6][red]DSL SUX!![/size=6][/red]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And of course they tried to blame my PC...format and clean install... Bullshit.
View Quote

I think the reason they are always trying this is by the time one has the PC formatted and everything back up and installed it's the next shift's problem.
Any time they are trying this crap with me, it goes like this:
"OK, Sir, I need you to yank out all your cables, format your PC and re-install your operating system." - 1.5 seconds later: "OK, done." - "You're shitting me!" - "Yes, I thought we reached that phase, didn't we?"

Going back on topic: sounds like a good deal, I believe that's a on-going promo. Go for it, and make sure you're getting the external DSL "modem" that plugs into a network card in your computer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Recon, DSL doesn't suck, SBC does.  The people that take the orders and their "tech support" are indifferent and untrained.  I've dealt with many telcos and ISPs, from multiple T1s, frame-relay to DSL, SBC sucks on all levels, in my 7 years, there's maybe one time when they got everything as ordered.
Derek, I've heard of very few providers that would give me a CIR (commited information rate, the guaranteed minimum speed), other than a few SDSL providers nobody is willing or able to do it.  If you ask an SBC rep for it, they won't know what you're talking about [ROFL]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Uh, knock, cap, pairs?
Does it require an additional phone line or something?
View Quote

The pairs are the 2 wires that go from the c.o. to your home, the dsl runs on a different freq than your voice so it shares your pair so to speak.  If the pair isnt in good shape or is to long the bandwith of the pair might not be able to handle the 1.5up,384down speeds and the folks in the office(knock) will slow to a speed(cap your speed) that your pair can  handle wtihout loosing sync.

As far as cable goes it is also a hit and miss, the same thing applies to the coax and your share the bandwith with all your neighbors, so if a guy up the street runs a server out of his house he can rob you of speed.

Both choices are great and you could do some research by going to places on the net and some of them will tell you how far away you are from the C.O. which will tell you alot about what to expect.  I can test lines from my p.c. but would need permission, or you might be able to call SBC repair and ask them to do it for you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have DSL with Bellsouth. I had to run a "Home run" line from the NIT to my modem to get it to work. The phone wiring in my house is old & there is probably a short in there. I couldn't get sync. Off to Radio Shack for 50ft of cat5. No problems after that. The goofs at the help line couldn't figure it out. They wanted to send a tech at $80 for the first half hour. Screw that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I had Earthlink DSL for a while.  It worked OK in the beginning then one day it didn't.  I got tech involved and they said they could detect downstream packets but my PC was not receiving.  Anyway they offered no fix.  They let me out of the service contract eventually mostly because I contacted the right office and wrote a good letter.  There were stories that they were holding people to these contracts even though they were not delivering because they claimed no guarantees that it would work.  It was crazy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, "Knock" is NOC, network operations center. I've had dsl for years, the last time my footage was something like 21.5k'. I'd go for it and if it has issues, come here and we'll help.

You know times have changed when people are asking, is it a deal? instead of jumping up and down "it's here, it's here"!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Be sure to read the fine print.  The deal sounds good since it's $20/month less than Roadrunner.  

However, the ads states that this is a "first" year deal.  What will it be next year?  Is there a contract (one year)?  What is the installation cost?  Do they fix "their" problems?

RR does cost more right now.  But it's fast and it works and I'm happy.  Enough said. [hail]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I had 6 clients in the mid-SF peninsula who wanted dsl, via SBC specifically.  Quickeds installation was 2 months aro, last was 3 and 2 of the clients gave up.  Mass ignorance & confusion at the SBC order office in San Antonio, coupled with even more confusion with Covad, from whom SBC apparently leased the lines.

I used speakeasy.net for all 6 lines, shortest installation was 2 business days, longest was 6 days.  No comparison.  I would avoid SBC dsl if at all possible.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
DSL relies too heavily on the quality of the infrastructure and the distance of your home to the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer).  The further you are from the DSLAM, the slower your connection.  NOTHING can be done about that for your typical residential DSL service.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
SBC has their head firmly planted up their ass and take forever to do anything. Other than that, I love my my dsl :D
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Mines been great since day 1.  The only hassle was were when they switched to Yahoo from the last content provider.  All the mail and bookmaarks didn't transfer seemlessly but nothin a little effort didn't fix.
It even worked fine before I put the router in and networked up the kids machine, The PPoE was awkward but with a router that goes away.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top