Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/17/2002 10:39:45 AM EST
Some people were over last night and we decide to take the horses for a little ride. Mine just got shoes on and his feet hurt too much to go (another long story!). So I take a horse that is boarded at my place that is for sale. I figure it would be good for him to go for a ride. We ride out to the paved road, so far so good, but when the first car passes he goes the horse goes running backwards. I check my gear to make sure nothing is pinching him or anything and we resume. Fifty yards down the road another vehicle passes and he goes running backwards again. this time we go through a fence into some blackberry bushes and he flips over and lands on top of me. After thrashing around on me for a few seconds (seemed like an hour) he gets up and steps right next to my ughhh "privates". Luckily for me I grabbed my little .25 and had it stashed in my pocked for the ride. he steeped right on it and saved me from having some SERIOUS pain. He did manages to screw up my leg good though. My knee is the size of a watermellon and I've got all kinds of little cuts from the berry bushes. I'm glad I didn't have a bigger gun with me at the time. I would have used it on that no good piece of Elmers glue!! Horse for sale $1600.[50]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:20:31 AM EST
No, really, you own a raven .25?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:00:50 PM EST
Yes. I bought it from a co-worker for $15 a couple of years ago. It was very hot when we went on the ride so I just grabbed it because it would fit in my pocket. I would have had to wear a flannel shirt or jacket in order to cover any other of my handguns. Something is always better than nothing!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:33:42 PM EST
I can say that you've probably found the most beneficial use for a Raven! I feel your pain... I have a Jennings .22 that I thought was a good idea to buy. If I find the right ammo, it won't double or triple... won't group either. [BD]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:45:16 PM EST
Sounds like a helluva a good time. When I was a kid my dad used to get alot (maybe 50-75) BLM ponies a year for us kids to break. That has pretty much put me off on the whole greenbroke horse crap.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:47:00 PM EST
Know had you had an AR in your front pocket...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:51:51 PM EST
Your story reminds me of a sad but true story my Dad told me. It seems that the cowboss of a good-sized ranch in Wyoming was moving some of his personal horses from one trap to another across a highway. The gates were just a little off center, about 50 yards from each other. He was mounted on his favorite horse that he was very proud of and always bragged on. This job that should have taken about 10 minutes was dragging on into the second hour because of one old mare. This mare would lead all of the horses, about 50, into the new pasture, then before the cowboss could get the gate closed, she would run them all out again! After several times back and forth across the highway, the cowboss is mad enough to just shoot this troublesome mare! He pulls out his 1911 and at a lope, sights in on the mare, and ust as he pulls the trigger, his horse slips on the highway pavement and throws his head up to catch his balance. The .45 slug tears into the back of the horses head and instantly kills him, vaulting the cowboss onto the pavement where he lays stunned for a split second until the dead carcass of his prize horse rolls on top of him. He is found 3 hours later in the very same position, bruised, battered, but alive and kicking and in an even fouler mood! I still feel sorry for that horse, and no, the mare was not killed, just sold.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:55:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By LgAnimalVet: Sounds like a helluva a good time. When I was a kid my dad used to get alot (maybe 50-75) BLM ponies a year for us kids to break. That has pretty much put me off on the whole greenbroke horse crap.
View Quote
How broke were they when they were sold?[;)] I've got some pictures of me when I was about 3 years old on extremely green broke horses in a sale barn sale ring. Dad would lead the horse in, unsaddled, with me bouncing along up top, spin around the ring a couple of times and get me off before this broomtail could start chinning the moon, sucking back, sunfishin' or any other bad tricks. We used to make some good dough that way!
Top Top